#16 Brett

Brett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 06:22 AM

Brett,

In the case of Growling Frog, it is a course built and run by the council for the people, not for an exclusive group of members.

Sorry if you misunderstood me, I'm not saying that it should be members only, just that there should be an option to have membership. I don't know about anyone else on this forum but I don't want to pay a premium rate for every round I play. Membership allows you to get a discount over a period of time.

In regards to the council building the course it all looks good on the surface but have you seen their council chambers? It's the bloody taj muhal. Ripping off rate payers. As a rate payer in Whittlesea they have the highest bloody rates that I have paid for naught services. Sorry for digressing...think happy thoughts. laugh.gif

Also have you seen the condition of Bundoora golf course? What a disgrace, also run by a council. Now if you pay your money for a round and then need to rush off in an emergency you can't get a refund. Why not! I haven't even teed off!!! "Sorry but once the money is in the till it's council money and cannot be refunded under any circumstance." That is reason enough for me to be hesitant about council run golf courses.

My effort in thinking happy thoughts isn't working is it? 8O

I hope I'm wrong and the Growling Frog is a croaking success. laugh.gif

#17 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:41 AM

I hear you Brett. Fair call. But the examples (like Bundoora) are part of the old wave of "municipal" courses. The modern model is often a very high quality daily fee course. Some privately owned (like The Dunes and Kingston Links), and so now councils want "in" on this new popular wave of public access golf that is of a high standard.

Because it is public, Growling Frog won't have valet bag stands or locker room attendants, but they will have a fair handful of groundstaff and a greater overall maintenance budget than the old faithful 18 holes for $17.50 type track. I agree that season tickets are a good idea, allowing multi-play for a cheaper fee per round than just green fees. My only concern to your membership view was that it is crucial that any such ticket holders get no preferential tee times or locked blocks of hit off times.

It is the lack of easy access to quality golf on weekends that hurts the game. Particularly since the modern golfer is growing more to become less committed to a single course or old fashioned "comp day" routine. They just want a hit with their mates or clients. Not putting everyone in those shoes, but the battling that some clubs are doing underlines this new golfer's emergence and growing relevance. They have money to spend, and want good quality courses and maintenance conditions at their disposal.

My tip: I think Growling Frog will be a hit.

#18 Brett

Brett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:11 AM

I have noticed this "new wave" myself. A few of my business associates are part of a foating comp (forget the name) that goes from 1 course to another. They arent a member at a particular club and they get to play all the top courses around Melbourne. I did think about doing this but the restriction is that it's only once a month, and I'm a few days a week kinda guy. :mrgreen:

#19 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 06:55 PM

I did think about doing this but the restriction is that it's only once a month, and I'm a few days a week kinda guy

Then why would you want to be a member at Growling Frog, wouldn't you want to be loyal to your own club (I'm guessing you are a member somewhere as 2/3 times a week would get mighty expensive if you were just paying green fee's) and have the pleasure of playing Growling Frog if and when you wanted to?

Don't take this as me having a dig, just some of your observations didn't seem to add up
smile.gif
Having said that, I'm looking forward to playing GF, even the name conjures up the thought of something special!

#20 golfer69

golfer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5258 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:23 PM

Hey judge..ever been in those **** Smith National Geographic shops with the croaking frogs going off as you walk in the door ?
I think they are going to be using those as tee markers..except making a growling noise of course.

#21 Brett

Brett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:55 PM

Hey Judge, if it was your $40 then I think you'd take 2 minutes to ask for a refund, or maybe your one of those guys with money to burn. :roll:

#22 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:13 PM

Brett,

Once you've booked in and paid your green fee, the club or course can't sell that tee time. So to give your money back would mean foregoing income they could have got from someone else.

#23 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:28 PM

Brett

, I'm sure that if it was a real emergency, I wouldn't, that's all I was saying.

and there 'aint to many Motor Trimmers with money to burn, I can guarantee you that much for free! :cry:

#24 Brett

Brett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:31 PM

Ok guys I'm quitting while I'm ahead. :mrgreen:

I'll go home now... laugh.gif

#25 David

David

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 02:08 AM

I actually walked on one of the holes late Saturday afternoon. I reckon it was the 17th. Fairways still a bit patchy but you could still play off it easily. Greens and fringe in great nick but the greens need a bit of a shave with the mower. Anything off the fairway, forget about it, you would be playing on a heap of clay and dirt. Only saw one hole and it looked pretty good.

I tend to agree with Matthew M about the yearly pass with no priority for people who purchase such a pass

#26 sirswingalot

sirswingalot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:16 AM

Is this place ever going to open...?

#27 MatthewM

MatthewM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:17 AM

November looks like the date. Longer time to grow in.

Also makes sense to open in Spring / Summer, not winter.

Barny Dunes and St. Andrews Beach seem to be doing the same, with December slated for the opening dates at these two respective courses!

MM

#28 David

David

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:52 AM

I drove past on Saturday and there is no way you can play on it. Fairways are still patchy and off the fairways there is not much grass at all, just mud and clay.
I think they would be better off waiting to open it, otherwise everyone will be critical of the course because it ain't quite right, just like Hidden Valley which seems to cop a pasteing because of all the works going on there.

#29 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 03:59 AM

At last month's expo, green fees were publicly announced, and the course administrators from local council should be congratulated.

For what looks to be a fairly high quality daily fee Graham Marsh design, the $25 weekday and $30 weekend fees are quite moderate in comparison with other premium daily fee facilities around Melbourne and surrounds. These fees go up by a further $5 each on January 1st, but this is still great value.

Those who got their little green pamphlets throughout the year can also get a 2 for 1 deal in the early days.

#30 David

David

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:23 PM

Web site also confirms prices as well and also states it is going to open next month.
Lets hope that the course is mature enough to play on otherwise its going to get a bucket load of bad comments.

Hopefully this course can match it with the other premium daily fee facilities and then put a bit of pressure on Whittlesea and Yarrambat to lift thier game and improve thier courses and facilities.

There is also a rumour that Bruce Matheison(Pokie King and Carlton Board member) is buidling a private course/ residential development just up the road from the Growling Frog. He has a number of acres around there and is seeking council and government approval for the go ahead. So there may be another course available to for the residents of the Northern Suburbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users