192 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:30 PM

Has anyone heard when this course is opening?

Has anyone had a look at the course to see what it is like?

Graham marsh has designed it, has he made any other worthy courses?

If he has designed some worhty courses will this course match those courses?

#2 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:35 AM

David, have a scroll down this forum's first couple of pages and you'll see a thread or two on Growling Frog.

#3 golfer69

golfer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5258 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:43 AM

Has the potential to be the best named golf course in the country !

#4 MatthewM

MatthewM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:08 PM

Got an email from them today, and it's slated to open around the end of May. Look out for the insert within the latest edition of Golf Australia magazine, on growling frog.

Also - look for the Clayton article in that edition. Top work.
No doubt Matt has already pasted a copy of it into his scrap book. laugh.gif

MM

#5 sirswingalot

sirswingalot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:47 PM

They have the grass down on the greens etc and are just sewing the fairways now. Anyone know if they will be offering social memberships there?

#6 marcel

marcel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:45 PM

Also - look for the Clayton article in that edition. Top work.

Good work kite boy, the rest of us sydneysiders won't be able to find a copy now :mrgreen:

#7 crnile

crnile

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:11 AM

Graham marsh has designed it, has he made any other worthy courses?

The Vines -36 Holes
Secret Harbour -18 Holes
Horizons
and many more

#8 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:37 PM

Update: will open in "hopefully" 8-10 weeks. So late July is the earliest possible opening time, due to some slower than hoped growing in. For me then, this now becomes a spring proposition.

#9 Brett

Brett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:53 PM

I looked on their web site and they have an approximate green fee price, $25-$35 per round. Does anyone know if they will have memberships, and if so how much?

#10 David

David

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:47 PM

Brett,

I have asked about memberships as well and they have told me it is strictly public no memberships. I also asked if they would have a yearly fee instead of paying per round. They weren't sure at the time when I asked.

This course should easily be the best course in the North when it opens I reckon.

#11 Brett

Brett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:37 AM

Thanks David.

I'm disappointed to say the least. Membership is the only way to go IMO, teaches you loyalty toward your club and also helps the junior ranks better. I know if I wasn't a member of a club when I was in my early teens there is no way I would have stayed playing golf. It's become a pay as you go society with no wear to belong! :x

#12 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 08:10 AM

Brett,

there is definetly room for both. In the case of Growling Frog, it is a course built and run by the council for the people, not for an exclusive group of members. Can you imagine what the local ratepayers would say if there money was being spent on a coures that was just for members? CLub golf might be good for developing juniors but I cna guarantee you that 99% of juniors in Melbourne played on a public course before they joined a club.

#13 iceblock

iceblock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 09:46 AM

Update: will open in \"hopefully\" 8-10 weeks. So late July is the earliest possible opening time, due to some slower than hoped growing in. For me then, this now becomes a spring proposition.

I'm not aware of the type of turf they are growing there, but with the recent spate of heavy frosts in Melbourne's outer suburbs, and the liklihood that they have sewn a warm season type of turf, it's hardly surprising things have had to be put back a little while.

Dependent on the type of turf they are using and which cool season grasses they have sewed into the mix, it is very unlikely they can expect all that much growth in the coming months, either.

These most recent frosts in the last few days will, in all likelyhood, just put things a few weeks further back.

#14 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 05:43 PM

Brett,

Given the massive residential explosion beyond South Morang to Mernda over the past few years, Whittlesea will soon be a suburb of Melbourne. For those reasons, I applaud a council that unlike most others, doesn't sit on their hands and just hope they'll have enough facilities and infrastructure for the future without spending more money.

As a result, they not only have a purely public golf course, but one that will compare highly with other metro area public courses. It is those daily fee courses that have too many pre-arranged regular fields on Saturdays and other comp days that are sometimes struggling, because they lock up the course to the one group and lose sight of a public course being available for bookings during the peak times of Saturdays and Sundays.

#15 MatthewM

MatthewM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 10:29 PM

TT, I understand what you're saying -

sort of like a quality restaurant that doesn't accept reservations. The need to line up and get there early almot certainly ensures a steady client stream.

While I think there should be a yearly pass one could purchase for say $800 - $1000, there shouldn;t be any membership or priority for those who purchase such a pass.

Matthew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users