#16 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17281 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

Come to pine rivers and play. You get to experience lush tropical conditions in the wet season, and Dubai like conditions ( hot, dry fairways the colour of sand ) in dry season. $700 no joining fee. $13.46 per week. Meals,keno, good teaching pro, friendly greens staff. Drop mummy and kids off at chermside on way through and p/u on way home. True test of your golf game. Doubt you will shoot more than 5 under.

Food for thought.
  • Sandy likes this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#17 Murzo

Murzo

Suspect

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

Come to pine rivers and play. You get to experience lush tropical conditions in the wet season, and Dubai like conditions ( hot, dry fairways the colour of sand ) in dry season. $700 no joining fee. $13.46 per week. Meals,keno, good teaching pro, friendly greens staff. Drop mummy and kids off at chermside on way through and p/u on way home. True test of your golf game. Doubt you will shoot more than 5 under.

Food for thought.

That is a good price; however, that's a massive drive for me from Sunnybank Hills. As for the dropping the family off at the shops and collecting them again on the way home - this is not how it works in my household...

5 under hey? Wouldn't that be nice...

• Bluethunda likes this

#18 BigDig83

BigDig83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

That is a good price; however, that's a massive drive for me from Sunnybank Hills. As for the dropping the family off at the shops and collecting them again on the way home - this is not how it works in my household...

5 under hey? Wouldn't that be nice...

I would have thought Murzo dropping his wife off at Chermside on the way to golf would completely defeat the purpose of changing golf clubs?

Cheaper to take out 2 memberships at RQ, me thinks??
  • Sandy likes this

#19 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3233 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

Give it 10 years or so by then heaps of clubs will have gone **** up, then you will have a choice of paying what ut ought to cost or not playing at all.

#20 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3233 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

i said t i t s up

• Sandy likes this

#21 BigDig83

BigDig83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

Give it 10 years or so by then heaps of clubs will have gone **** up, then you will have a choice of paying what ut ought to cost or not playing at all.

What do we do in the meantime?

Practice??

#22 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3233 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

get it cheap while you can I guess, I see lots of turmoil on the horizon

#23 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23816 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

Agree Hawkers.  Everyone (myself included) wants perfectly groomed courses and for someone else to pay for it.

Either the course is very busy all the time, generating lots of income to pay for all the maintenance, or it's quieter and with maintenance standards that players complain about.  If you want the best of both, expect to pay substantial fees.

Anything else is just temporary.

• Top_Cat likes this

#24 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Our membership has gone from 900 a few years ago to now almost 1300 this year with extra Levi's piled

I have decided to downgrade my membership to social plus and not play comps...still get full access to course 7 days ..4 comps for year to retain handicap

And to be honest comp golf I find slow and tedious at times ...

With the work I do I identified I need time and space to myself not be around other people as work with people all day.

Plus the comp day costs...once you pay comp fee, a drink and drinks in the bar ....your left with no change from 50 bucks.....

So instead of golf costing me 3000-3500 a year in fees and social stuff

It will be like 600-700.....play with mates on Sunday mornings or take my kids out in cart for 9 holes...fun not watching blokes take 20 practice swings

Will still Friday night beer on the odd time just lost total interest in comp golf and I'm pursuing other activities ...biking, kayaking ....camping with family
  • AriGold, Tolmij and Bluethunda like this

#25 AriGold

AriGold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

It is unfortunate that Golf is so cheap in Aus. It has become the accepted norm for members to pay these fees. Now many clubs are finding that the fees are no longer enough to maintain the course in a satisfactory condition. but if they increase the fees enough to get enough Capital. members complain & leave & the club is back at square 1

Fair point POM, but us in the family bracket are finding that everything is costing more and more and for many its the golf memberships that get trimmed first. I think thats the issue

#26 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27257 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

My club got greedy, losing mony through poor financial decisions, lost 150 membersin one week.

Did a complete about turn with new committee and are now making a good profit. the silly spending was dribbling away all the cash.

We only pay $1000 per year for full 7 day playing rights, extra green fees only for comps. It can be done just needs a committee that will work at it.
  • Bluethunda and AlisonC like this
Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#27 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNSW South Coast, where the courses are flatter than Mornington Pen.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

Posted a thread on here relating to "Golflink Statistical Data availability", which has been virtually ignored.  Golf clubs and courses are no different to any other business enterprise, if they don't have data on which to base any marketing then it's just pie in the sky crap. Or don't golf club members want to  know anything about marketing?  Many seem to think that all they need is a "name" to apply to their design and hordes of new members will emerge from the woodwork. Well sorry don't work that way.

For instance having a "Greg Norman" designed course for me it just conjures up a vision of his humongous drives and scares me off. If you need to be able to drive 300 mtrs to achieve GIR, then not interested. Settlers Run and the new Eastern course come to mind.

Edited by AlisonC, 10 December 2013 - 03:22 PM.

• AriGold, Tolmij and Bluethunda like this

Rev Mother of Bene Gesserit.

What's in the bag.

Callaway Diablo Edge graphite shaft kit, 11° Driver, 3 Wood, 3,4 & 5 Hybrids, 6,7,8,9 Irons, P, A, S Wedges. NV Drew Chipper. Odyssey White Ice No 9 putter.

#28 Harambe

Harambe

I said "cream" not "green"!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

Posted a thread on here relating to "Golflink Statistical Data availability", which has been virtually ignored.  Golf clubs and courses are no different to any other business enterprise, if they don't have data on which to base any marketing then it's just pie in the sky crap. Or don't golf club members want to  know anything about marketing?  Many seem to think that all they need is a "name" to apply to their design and hordes of new members will emerge from the woodwork. Well sorry don't work that way.

For instance having a "Greg Norman" designed course for me it just conjures up a vision of his humongous drives and scares me off. If you need to be able to drive 300 mtrs to achieve GIR, then not interested. Settlers Run and the new Eastern course come to mind.

I am a member of a GNGCD track and your statement highlighted above is complete nonsense. There is one somewhat tight hole on the course and the rest you could land an A380 on the fairway.

If you can't reach the greens in regulation then you obviously aren't much of a golfer because the course is not long (I think only 2 or 3 holes over 400m from the back tees). So there you go. A GNGCD track with wide fairways and not overly long.

How many golfers do you think should be able to hit most GIR? Because I can tell you that most A Graders don't even hit more than about 9. If you want C Graders to hit lots of GIR then you are talking about pitch and putt.

• Drive4Show likes this

#29 Dunbarr

Dunbarr

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

Chances are if you a paying under a grand a year your course is a goatrack. 

• Sandy and hakman like this

#30 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNSW South Coast, where the courses are flatter than Mornington Pen.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

I am a member of a GNGCD track and your statement highlighted above is complete nonsense.

You might want to read what I wrote again. I said "For instance having a "Greg Norman" designed course for me it just conjures up a vision of his humongous drives and scares me off". Note: "For me"

It's got nothing to do with how a course plays. It has everything to do with how it's marketed. If a club seeks to sell itself as being a real challenge for a scratch golfer, then it will scare off your average player.

So what percentage of current Golflink registered players play off a single digit handicap? What is the statistical distribution of handicaps? If it centres on say 16, then in order to attract more members a club should aim at being a challenge for the lower quartile. Those playing off less than 16 within the standard distribution.

Edited by AlisonC, 10 December 2013 - 04:06 PM.

• Bluethunda likes this

Rev Mother of Bene Gesserit.

What's in the bag.

Callaway Diablo Edge graphite shaft kit, 11° Driver, 3 Wood, 3,4 & 5 Hybrids, 6,7,8,9 Irons, P, A, S Wedges. NV Drew Chipper. Odyssey White Ice No 9 putter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oxley, Membership, Cost, AGU, Carbrook, Brisbane, Family, Expensive, Golf, Competition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users