116 replies to this topic

#1 Murzo

Murzo

Suspect

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

I am thinking of leaving Oxley Golf Club here in Brisbane in mid-2014 to join Carbrook. I am at that stage of my life where my wife and kids prevent me from playing as much golf as I would like. Consequently, the $1400/yr that I am presently paying is quite hard to justify spending on a cost/round based argument.

I love playing at Oxley, but the Intermediate 2 membership for up to 26-45yr olds (I think that's the right bracket) gets me up to 20 Saturday rounds per year and full access on other days for $550/yr and seemingly no nomination fee.

Seems like it is no contest. I like playing Carbrook, but never thought I would be calling it my home club. That is a massive whack of money that I can save with out detracting from the amount of golf I will be playing. Sure, if I play Oxley, it will cost me a little more each time, but I will still be wayyyy out in front.

I am sure I am not Robinson Crusoe here. I wish my playing schedule was more hectic, but alas it is not.

Keen to hear everyone's thoughts...

• Murzo and zuiaigiuqevn like this

#2 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1641 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:03 AM

Your story .... well that hss been prevelant in the golfing industry for the last 5>10 years and explains the dilemma that most golf clubs find themselves in .... declining membership.
  • Murzo likes this

#3 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23815 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

It's good that you've been able to find a package that suits your needs.

• Codboy likes this

#4 917Stark

917Stark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

I'm sick of people whining about how 'expensive' golf is. Australia is the cheapest place on earth to play golf, with some of the best courses on the planet available to the average joe to have a hit.

In China you'll pay in excess of US100k to join anywhere (if you're invited to), and still pay US$100 green fees and caddy charges each time you play.

So pay your $1400, play at a great course, and be thankful!

#5 Rhombus

Rhombus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

I am in exactly the same situation, except I spend about $5k a year on memberships at two different clubs. I would rather go without beer than give either of them up.

#6 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17281 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

Join another club out in the stiks as a country member, find a close reciprocal club and play your 20 gAmes there
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#7 winniereds77

winniereds77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'm sick of people whining about how 'expensive' golf is. Australia is the cheapest place on earth to play golf, with some of the best courses on the planet available to the average joe to have a hit.

In China you'll pay in excess of US100k to join anywhere (if you're invited to), and still pay US$100 green fees and caddy charges each time you play.

since you seem to be flush with cash care to pay mine cause i do think golf is expensive

• TheTrueReview likes this

The Trouble with life is there’s no background music

#8 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17281 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

The quality of a course where you pay 100k per year, shits all over anything we have here in Australia. And the Chinese have a different view of women as to us, so they don't really give a **** if they spend time with the family or not. Cost of living is cheap in China, not overpriced like it is here in white mans land. My son plays at a high end club and they have asked members to kick in with next years fees already!!! How the **** is that fair??? He only plays once per week, and really the course hasn't changed squat since the request for extra funds.
  • pom and Alongdriver like this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#9 Murzo

Murzo

Suspect

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

Wow. Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I have a lot more to consider that just myself at the minute. I am also not concerned with the cost to play in China. It seems that some clubs are meeting the demand for the kind of membership that I mentioned in my initial post. I can appreciate that this assist those club's offering it, to add to their membership - It seems a great idea.

Not sure I like the idea of those $99 memberships going around though.

Keen to hear more of your thoughts.

#10 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11892 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

The quality of a course where you pay 100k per year, shits all over anything we have here in Australia. And the Chinese have a different view of women as to us, so they don't really give a **** if they spend time with the family or not. Cost of living is cheap in China, not overpriced like it is here in white mans land. My son plays at a high end club and they have asked members to kick in with next years fees already!!! How the **** is that fair??? He only plays once per week, and really the course hasn't changed squat since the request for extra funds.

It is unfortunate that Golf is so cheap in Aus. It has become the accepted norm for members to pay these fees. Now many clubs are finding that the fees are no longer enough to maintain the course in a satisfactory condition. but if they increase the fees enough to get enough Capital. members complain & leave & the club is back at square 1

• AriGold and gitup like this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#11 917Stark

917Stark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

It is unfortunate that Golf is so cheap in Aus. It has become the accepted norm for members to pay these fees. Now many clubs are finding that the fees are no longer enough to maintain the course in a satisfactory condition. but if they increase the fees enough to get enough Capital. members complain & leave & the club is back at square 1

Precisely my point. In many cases these 'lifestyle' membership offerings are a last desperate attempt by a club to stay alive

#12 BigDig83

BigDig83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

I am thinking of leaving Oxley Golf Club here in Brisbane in mid-2014 to join Carbrook. I am at that stage of my life where my wife and kids prevent me from playing as much golf as I would like. Consequently, the $1400/yr that I am presently paying is quite hard to justify spending on a cost/round based argument.

I love playing at Oxley, but the Intermediate 2 membership for up to 26-45yr olds (I think that's the right bracket) gets me up to 20 Saturday rounds per year and full access on other days for $550/yr and seemingly no nomination fee.

Seems like it is no contest. I like playing Carbrook, but never thought I would be calling it my home club. That is a massive whack of money that I can save with out detracting from the amount of golf I will be playing. Sure, if I play Oxley, it will cost me a little more each time, but I will still be wayyyy out in front.

I am sure I am not Robinson Crusoe here. I wish my playing schedule was more hectic, but alas it is not.

Keen to hear everyone's thoughts...

I think it would be further for you to drive, and you would need to change the name of your competition to carbrookford....

#13 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

Everyone has a vice and golf is mine, granted I don't have dependants to support.

I find it funny though that my mates are absolutely shocked and appaled when they found out my membership was 2k a year but they don't bat an eyelid when the spend $200 plus a week at the pub and on the punt, week in, week out.

• AriGold, Sandy and Tolmij like this

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#14 Murzo

Murzo

Suspect

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

I think it would be further for you to drive, and you would need to change the name of your competition to carbrookford....

It certainly is further for me to drive. Probs another 10-15 mins - only a big deal if I was playing there in a very regular basis. As for the Oxleyford competition moving forward, it is so named because of the course it was borne from. We are opening it up to all-comers in 2014. The name will stick, but people can play anywhere and be involved. Looking forward to it.

PS - you have me curious as to who this is... #DetectiveSkillsRequired

#15 BigDig83

BigDig83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

*born

I have an association with both you and GCB....

No more hints, get to work Sherlock!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Oxley, Membership, Cost, AGU, Carbrook, Brisbane, Family, Expensive, Golf, Competition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users