#16 Harambe

Harambe

I said "cream" not "green"!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

I think he's rated a likely future major winner and multiple PGA winner and regular world top 10 ranker.

Wow Weeti. Are you related to Day?

Day can obviously play, but do his results match the perception that you and others have of him? With only a single win, I think not.
  • Sandy and winniereds77 like this

#17 Harambe

Harambe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

Interesting comparing him to Robert. Their careers are at such similar places in their life cycles.

A comparison to Allenby is actually quite appropriate since Robbie was also thought quite highly of in his mid twenties.

#18 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3192 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

Abbott I know you don't mind a stir and for the hell of it I don't mind responding.

It has been a little disappointing that Jason has not won as many events as other lesser players but I think if you look at his record then you are a long way off the mark as far as him being overrated.

Firstly as an amateur he won the Australian Junior and Australian Stroke-play championship at a young age and was a Callaway World Junior Champion.

In his very first year as a professional in 2006 as an 18 year old he played in his allowable seven PGA Tour events on invite making the cut in 5.

The following year he became the youngest player ever to win on either the PGA or then Nationwide Tour when he won an event on the Nationwide Tour en route to a great season which saw him easily claim playing rights for the PGA Tour. 

He did well enough in his first season (2008) on the PGA Tour to keep his playing status then has gone on to get better each season apart from 2012 when he had a lot of stuff going on off course.

In his major championship debut in 2010 he was a late call up to the Open Championship and made the cut. A month later he finished 10th in his first PGA Championship then in April of the following year finished a remarkable second on debut at the Masters and runner-up on debut again at the US Open.

This year 3rd at the Masters and runner-up at the US Open. and another top ten when 8th at the PGA Championship.

It is very important to remember that Jason is only 25 and that Adam Scott took until the age of 32 to win his first major championship and Norman was 30. It would now be very surprising if Day did not win a major before either of those two did.

That he has won only once on the PGA Tour is in my opinion not all that relevant. He has shown time and time again a capacity to compete at the highest level. In my mind he is very much a big event player.

I wish I had his problem.  

Edited by bruce, 10 October 2013 - 04:55 PM.

• voss, Tolmij, Francie and 4 others like this

#19 Juggs Judy

Juggs Judy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

His missus is super hot.
  • Sandy, 4for4, Roseolly and 1 other like this

#20 Harambe

Harambe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

Nice response Bruce. FYI this thread is not a windup.

I guess you can look at the number of times that he has contended v wins and either see it as a matter of time before the conversion rate improves or it could also cause some mental scarring.

I hope he gets everything out of his career and isn't another prodigy who never quite got there.

#21 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38711 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

I think the expectations on him are pretty high.

Then again....at this stage of his career he has exactly one more PGA win than me....and we're still both chasing our first major.... just sayin....
  • Natnkyls, Sandy and Schmuck like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them....

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#22 Harambe

Harambe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

I think the expectations on him are pretty high.

Then again....at this stage of his career he has exactly one more PGA win than me....and we're still both chasing our first major.... just sayin....

Exactly.

(And nobody is accusing you of being overrated).
  • Francie likes this

#23 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 38711 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

Exactly.

(And nobody is accusing you of being overrated).

And are highly unlikely to....
  • Sandy likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them....

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#24 ink

ink

Pawsome

• Members
  • 35298 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

You wouldn't say that if you were on fire!

I'm always on fire.... B)

#25 Trickshot239

Trickshot239

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3559 posts
  • LocationA bit South of North of here

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

Abbott I know you don't mind a stir and for the hell of it I don't mind responding.

It has been a little disappointing that Jason has not won as many events as other lesser players but I think if you look at his record then you are a long way off the mark as far as him being overrated.

Firstly as an amateur he won the Australian Junior and Australian Stroke-play championship at a young age and was a Callaway World Junior Champion.

In his very first year as a professional in 2006 as an 18 year old he played in his allowable seven PGA Tour events on invite making the cut in 5.

The following year he became the youngest player ever to win on either the PGA or then Nationwide Tour when he won an event on the Nationwide Tour en route to a great season which saw him easily claim playing rights for the PGA Tour. 

He did well enough in his first season (2008) on the PGA Tour to keep his playing status then has gone on to get better each season apart from 2012 when he had a lot of stuff going on off course.

In his major championship debut in 2010 he was a late call up to the Open Championship and made the cut. A month later he finished 10th in his first PGA Championship then in April of the following year finished a remarkable second on debut at the Masters and runner-up on debut again at the US Open.

This year 3rd at the Masters and runner-up at the US Open. and another top ten when 8th at the PGA Championship.

It is very important to remember that Jason is only 25 and that Adam Scott took until the age of 32 to win his first major championship and Norman was 30. It would now be very surprising if Day did not win a major before either of those two did.

That he has won only once on the PGA Tour is in my opinion not all that relevant. He has shown time and time again a capacity to compete at the highest level. In my mind he is very much a big event player.

I wish I had his problem.  

Abbott,

I think you just got smacked about the head with a soggy kipper.

Game, set and match to Bruce.

• Codboy, Tolmij, tassimike and 1 other like this

#26 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

http://en.wikipedia....on_Day_(golfer)
Day came through a similar golfing background as our Codboy. Just goes to show how effective our golf excellence program is in Queensland. Jason Day has done us proud up here, whatever happens in his golfing career.
Not sure why Abbo picked Day and not Senden or Baddeley as a subject.

#27 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3668 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

I'm used to coming 2nd...

• iRON MiCK likes this

#28 Codboy

Codboy

Goat coniseu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7283 posts
  • Locationoutta here

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

Day came through a similar golfing background as our Codboy. Just goes to show how effective our golf excellence program is in Queensland. Jason Day has done us proud up here, whatever happens in his golfing career.
Not sure why Abbo picked Day and not Senden or Baddeley as a subject.

Jesus Ray, not quite the same :-)

We had a few guns come through there other than me hahaha......bowdo, jas and Adam Crawford. Even Adam Scott spent time there. Wow we had some strong pennant teams some years.

Jas was the local superstar and is a phenomenal talent, nice fella as is Col his caddy/coach.

Shaun the fella is 25 or so......sheesh.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#29 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20222 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

I'm used to coming 2nd...

That's why the women loved Norman.
  • Sandy likes this

#30 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • 35635 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

Day came through a similar golfing background as our Codboy. Just goes to show how effective our golf excellence program is in Queensland. Jason Day has done us proud up here, .............

Gee, when I first read that,  I thought Ignoramus was going to say, "......more than I can say about Codboy"    :D

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​

Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users