775 replies to this topic

#1 Hat_Trick

Hat_Trick

Dr Bob's No.1 Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4694 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

After a couple of tough months on the golf course over the winter months I have found myself very frustrated and angry when leaving the course.  So much so that even when I hit really good shots I struggled to get motivated and excited.

Thus I am going to jot down my thoughts and progress each game:- a bit of self analysis to see if I can find the enjoyment again.

So here goes....

• Geraldfuse likes this

23/08/2015 - Curlewis. 5th Hole. Third Shot. Topped the ball, bounced up and hit my hat. 1 shot penalty. "Hat Trick"

23/11/2014 - Settlers Run. Vic OOM5. 18th tee. Nominee for ISG Hall of Fame Drives. "Air Swing"

#2 ink

ink

Pawsome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34926 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

I can help...

#3 ink

ink

Pawsome

• Members
  • 34926 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

Focus on your next shot and not how you got there...

• Tolmij likes this

#4 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

Focus on the drink cart and bar at the end ;)

#5 Codboy

Codboy

Goat coniseu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7283 posts
  • Locationoutta here

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

Focus on the drink cart and bar at the end ;)

Ideas man right there
  • Natnkyls likes this
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#6 Hat_Trick

Hat_Trick

Dr Bob's No.1 Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4694 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

Game 1. Sat 5 Oct 2013. Melbourne Airport Golf Club. Wind howling something ridiculous. Greens cut, hard and fast in preparation for coring in few weeks. Blue tees of the 10th at 7:58am.  Excited and scared at the same time.  Everyone else on course had the same conditions.  Bring it on.  After 30 points at Royal Melbourne. I can't be hitting it that bad.

10th. Par 3. 184m. Playing into the wind. Hybrid off the tee, pulled a little to the left, 30m short of the green.  No clear shot, hack out. Nice chip on 1 putt. 2 points.

11th. Par 4. 317m. Into the wind. Driver off tee, short. Disappointing 9 iron short. 25m chip on.  2 putts. Bogey. 2 points.

12th. Par 4. 419m. Hardest hole on the course, into the wind. Slice drive 140m. 280m out, top hybrid then smash another hybrid. 70m chip on with nice 6 foot one put. Bogey for 3pts.

13th. Par 4, 351m downwind. 200m hybrid off tee to a narrow fairway. Duff the 8iron short, blade the follow up 54 wedge over the back. Chip back on 2 putt. 1 point.

14th. Par 4 376m into the wind. Hybrid short off the tee. Snap hook second through trees to rest against tree stump. Chip backwards, slice the 54 wedge trying to go over trees, followup chip is short. Picked up having to hole a 15 off the fringe put.  Wipe.

15th. Par 3, 151, cross wind left to right. Solid 6 iron off tee catches the wind, ends up under trees. Tough chip shot under trees, over bunker - catches the tree. Try again, works perfectly. 6 foot fast breaking putt. Over hit it and missed the return. 3 putt to finish for a wipe.

16th - signature hole (runway on left of fairway whole length of the hole). Par 5 454m. Sliced drive short and into the trees. Punch out catches a bad bounce back into the trees. Brilliant cut/fade hybrid back onto fairway. 120m out. Duff the pitch shot and follow up chip rolls off the back edge. Chip back on.  Need to hole the downhill put for point, only to miss.  Wipe.

17th. Par 4 350m. Cut the corner too fine and clip a branch. Drops under tree, punch out with 3wd doesn't work well. Excellent 8iron into the green catches the sand. Wedge out and 2 putt for double. 2pts can't complain.

18th. Par 3 178m. Excellent hybrid, little hot rolls off the back of the green. Tough spot, thick rough. Blade the wedge through the green. Chip on and two putt for a point. 

Interesting start to the day 12 points.  Three wipes.

1st. 270m Par 4. Hybrid short off the tee. Great layup to 50m out. Wedge short with back spin (wow I can do that!), spins back of edge. Chip on is awesome. 3 inches from hole for a tap in bodey. 2pts.

2nd. 343m Par 4. Driver short. Slice the followup hybrid into the trees. Chip out. Chip on, nice 3 foot put for bogey. 2 more points.

3rd.  312m Par 4. Downwind driver sliced into next week. Layup over the trees is fat, punch through trees.  60m wedge is long and rolls over the back.  Chip on. Need a 1 putt, 10ft long shot for a point. Miss.  Wipe.

4th. 445m Par 5. Pull the driver off the tee. Scrappy lie, half punch/swing with hybrids is fat resulting to pull hook.  Bad. Lands in a tuft of grass. 3rd shot just to 'mow the grass'.  Punch through trees, wedge pulls up short.  Long, long way to back pin. First putt short, miss the second just and tap in third for wipe.

5th. 185m Par 3 into the wind. Smash, smash and smash the hybrid. 5m short of the green. Long chip to back edge, played safe with short chip on. Simple two putt bogey for 2 pts.

6th. Valley of death hole. Par 4 403m and the slope....everything goes right. Safe driver off the tee. Nail a hybdrid, choked down on the handle as well. Rolls up and through the green. I was 190m out! Never meant to get that close. Wedge out to safe spot and 2 putt for bogey. 3 points.

7th. 163m downwind par 3. What felt like down wind was actually small head / crosswind.  Watching others pull/hook left. Trusty hybrid again. Down the middle. 15m short. Fat chip just catches the green. Long up hill putt, left short.  Too much to do with the second and finally cleaned up the 3rd. 1 point. Sad effort this one.

8th. Top hybrid off the tee short into trees of the left. Bad lie and stance, poorly though out punch shot thin and slices bad. Screams across the fairway and out of bounds. Reload fourth catches an overhanging branch that I did not see 30m in front of me. Ricochets further left into threes. Lob over trees is too heavy flies the fairway. Follow chip is 80m to go.  I have to get up and down in 2. Chip rolls of the green into a little nasty patch of rough. I pick up. Wipe. Never getting up and down in 1. Besides my group had all putted out.

9th. Par 4 347m dogleg. Excellent fading little hydrid to the bend. Great 9iron fading on the breeze finishes just left of the green. Right length. No more chipping. Texas wedge, on and short. Then my mind enters. 12ft par putt. Just put it close. Wrong. Cooked the putt, 6ft past the hole! Pause reset. Partners **** stir. Plenty of work to go yet. Miss the breaking put back to the low side. Then miss the 1 ft follow up. 4 putts. Cracked the shits and picked up, with a point left. Idiot.

11 points back in. Total 23 points. 6 wipes.

Edited by BronsonMarc, 07 October 2013 - 11:33 AM.

23/08/2015 - Curlewis. 5th Hole. Third Shot. Topped the ball, bounced up and hit my hat. 1 shot penalty. "Hat Trick"

23/11/2014 - Settlers Run. Vic OOM5. 18th tee. Nominee for ISG Hall of Fame Drives. "Air Swing"

#7 ink

ink

Pawsome

• Members
  • 34926 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

Yeah, bud you played crap...Don't show up to Sunshine..might give me a chance to win C Grade...

#8 Hat_Trick

Hat_Trick

Dr Bob's No.1 Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4694 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Where I lost the shots:

- chose the wrong shot 2 or 3 times.

- too many two chips. 5 I counted.

- 1 penalty.

Total 10 shots lost. Overall some really good golf in tough conditions.

Points I have noted.

- when I think about the points the putts are worth I tend to choke.

- not getting off the tee almost always puts me into danger. My misses are pretty bad.

- my chipping/pitching needs some serious work. 1 in 3 are correct. short or long.

- when things goes wrong, I need to learn how to regain focus.  I loose too many points in a row. Multiple bad shots in a row.

- did notice that my ball position can move. Obviously not paying attention fully when setting up.

If the weather holds for practice session on Wednesday. Par 3 game. Chip on from 25m and finish in two putts only. Allow me to practice distance control as well as pressure of having to complete the hole in no more that 3 shots. Keep a record.

#9 Hat_Trick

Hat_Trick

Dr Bob's No.1 Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4694 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

Yeah, bud you played crap...Don't show up to Sunshine..might give me a chance to win C Grade...

Thanks Ink.

#10 Hat_Trick

Hat_Trick

Dr Bob's No.1 Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4694 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

I can help...

I forgot to ask, how?

#11 ink

ink

Pawsome

• Members
  • 34926 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

I forgot to ask, how?

Focus on your next shot and not how you got there...your attitude and mindset is more important than the technical ability...

You next lesson is after Sunshine B)

• Hat_Trick likes this

#12 Hat_Trick

Hat_Trick

Dr Bob's No.1 Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4694 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Positives to take.

- Hybrid is 190-200m off the tee. Genuine option on most holes.

- 15 of my 30 chips where good to very good. Highlighted by 4 one putts and 9 two putts.

- when my mind is clear (empty) there is some very good golf.

#13 Hat_Trick

Hat_Trick

Dr Bob's No.1 Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4694 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

Focus on your next shot and not how you got there...your attitude and mindset is more important than the technical ability...

You next lesson is after Sunshine B)

I agree. It is just hard to regain that clear mind when things go wobbly.  Hence my practice plans moving forward.

#14 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38237 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

pffft...just a bandit.

Don't think I've forgotten the "38 points through 15 holes" performance at Sandhurst.

Nice thread title, btw.

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#15 Hat_Trick

Hat_Trick

Dr Bob's No.1 Student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4694 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

pffft...just a bandit.

Don't think I've forgotten the "38 points through 15 holes" performance at Sandhurst.

Nice thread title, btw.

That's quite funny Goldy. My last thee games have totaled 70pts for 54 holes (19, 28, 23). A long way off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users