#301 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I am a recovering shankaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16076 posts
  • Location45 deg right of my last shot

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

My mother is now fully connected to the NBN.

NBN put their box in the spare bedroom my mother used as an office. NBN plugged her WiFi modem into the NBN modem. Then all her devices, laptop, iPad and netbook worked as per normal. BTW she's 90 next month and uses all devices.

Her 4 phone handsets were still connected to the incoming copper wire. They worked but had some buzzing on the line. Maybe interference from something.

Her provider, Optus, sent a WiFi modem and instructions. Her kind neighbour saved me some heartache and set it up for her. Otherwise Optus wanted $150.

The Optus modem and/or NBN modem (not sure) has a phone port which allow a RJ45 cable to connect one or more phones adjacent to the box.

If you want all your existing phone points to work as a frail aged person needs in case of accidents there are only 2 options.

1. Ditch all your handsets and by a number of cordless hand pieces with the base station connected to the modem.

2. Run a wire with an RJ45 termination on one end connected to the modem. The other end bare and connected to the Telstra copper at the point where it enters the house ie Chop the wire disconnecting from the exchange. Strip it and guess which two wires to join to the wire you have run.

If you want a home phone and don't have hands free it will cost you money.

NBN and the providers do not tell you this, you need to read blogs. NBN and providers just say connect your patch panel input point to the modem. I only know one family with a patch panel and they're geeks.

Shanklink

OOM Tour

I am mid table mediocrity !

Baconwide Tour

Runner up 2015 Stink's 3 club challenge at Yarrambat

NAGA with Benny 2014 4bbb Championship at St Andrews Beach

Team Mercedes with Muff runners up 2017 4bbb Chanpionship Flinders

Runner up 2017 Southern Invitational

Winner 2017 Keysborough Invitational

Choppers Tour

Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine

Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport