#1 Mekat

Mekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3377 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

Being on an online forum, and being a topic in the current election, I am surprised that the largest infrastructure project in the country is not being discussed here (on the very medium it is being built for) – The NBN.

Under the coalition their version of the NBN would still be the largest infrastructure project in the country, just scaled back compared to what is current.

So there is no mistake or no misunderstanding, I will nail my colours to the mast and say that I believe that the NBN (in its current incarnation) is far-sighted policy, which will benefit us in ways we cannot fully grasp in 2013, but will be seen in 20, 30, 40 years from now.

The current NBN is planned to replace the copper network that took the best part of a century to build to where it now is, and it is planned to have replaced it (to the degree it will) in just 8 years from now - a huge undertaking in anyone’s language.

Turnbull says that the general consumer does not need 100 megabits per second at the moment and is unlikely to need it in the foreseeable future… Fine… but their NBN is not due for completion until 2019, and the current version of the NBN is not due for completion until 2021, so what we need NOW is irrelevant, but what might we need in – say – ten years… in 2023?

To answer that, I suggest we look back on what we needed 10 years ago.

How many people reading this were on dial-up in 2003?

Can you still get dial-up?

Ten years ago, emails, maybe online chatting.. slow buffering video… no skype, no VOIP, no real social media. No youtube, no facebook (for what that is worth).

Do you remember how long it took to download a single web page back then?

Download a single four-minute song? You might as well have gone and had a meal while you waited… If you had a stable connection… That was 10 years ago.

Get the picture?

Wireless devices are the big things these days. They connect to the net through the big mobile phone towers (that no one wants in their backyards), or through more Wifi in the home or small areas. The wireless towers work in a narrow and limited bandwidth, and like Wifi, the more people using it at the same time, the slower the connection becomes.

How may wireless devices are in your home NOW… Imagine in a family home in 2018 with people trying to stream media on their mobile phones, or tablets, (or any other new device) and on their 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) TVs (just coming onto the market now) through their Wifi modem at the same time…  THEN, what about 2023… what NBN will such a family be connected to? Abbott’s copper-laced 25Mb/s? or fibre to the home….?

In 2003, did you imagine you would need the internet speed you need today?

In 2018, we probably will need much more than we need today… and then what speeds might we need by 2023??

Edited by Mekat, 21 August 2013 - 11:49 AM.

• Mububban likes this

#2 Manikato

Manikato

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

Mekat can't add anything to your post other than I agree 100% with every thing you have stated. I am in the I.T. Industry and everyone I have spoken to agrees fibre to the premises is the best way for our future.

This site shows the difference in speed http://howfastisthenbn.com.au/

I have no preference in Labour or Liberal I think they both stink. My only observation here is directly about the NBN not who's policy it is.

#3 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26804 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Good post Mekat, when we first used fast broadband we were using 5gig a month. since then we have 3 desk computers, one that drives all our TV requirements, 3 laptops and 5 IPads as well as 3 phones all joined to a WIFI network. we now use in excess of 100gig a month. Bring it on.
Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#4 Dunbar

Dunbar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

Mekat can't add anything to your post other than I agree 100% with every thing you have stated. I am in the I.T. Industry and everyone I have spoken to agrees fibre to the premises is the best way for our future.

This site shows the difference in speed http://howfastisthenbn.com.au/

I have no preference in Labour or Liberal I think they both stink. My only observation here is directly about the NBN not who's policy it is.

Labor. 

#5 Manikato

Manikato

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:16 PM

Labor.

So what do you think about the NBN ?

#6 Dunbar

Dunbar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

I'm not in IT. 

#7 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2186 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:40 PM

Agree 100% Mekat. The reason there is no discussion is that those of us who see the benefit of the FTH solution have said our piece and we are tired of it. Those with their head in the sand a still remain firmly entrenched and no amount of reason will change their view.

Turnbull is selling us the cut price solution with a tail light warranty. We will all pay for it in the end.

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 21 August 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#8 Manikato

Manikato

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

I'm not in IT.

I see

#9 Bumpy.M

Bumpy.M

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10765 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

we have one laptop at home where we are on a 2Gb a month usb stick wireless broadband internet plan. For me personally I don't have the need to go over that at all.

Call me old fashioned, but I just use my TV remote for my TV

"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#10 Groove_Snob

Groove_Snob

NCCSSC X COC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3953 posts
  • LocationIn the garage grinding the grooves of my irons!!

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

i'll go with this:

1) because people cant afford it and dont really want it. in all honesty, who here needs that kind of speed in their homes right now??

im pretty confortable knowing the web page im wanting to read will be in front of me in about 1/2 a second!!

and

2) becasue these mnorons are so friggin slow at rolling it out that pretty nobody is able to get it cause its not available to them!!

Got an issue??

Here's a tissue!! 😭

#11 Groove_Snob

Groove_Snob

NCCSSC X COC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3953 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Call me old fashioned, but I just use my TV remote for my TV

and my 5yo doesnt even like using remotes Bump.....

he actually gets up of his lounge and changes the foxtel channels from the foxtel box....

god bless his old fashioned soul, no couch potato there!!  ;)

Got an issue??

Here's a tissue!! 😭

#12 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1749 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

Ten years ago, emails, maybe online chatting.. slow buffering video… no skype, no VOIP, no real social media. No youtube, no facebook (for what that is worth).

Do you remember how long it took to download a single web page back then?

Download a single four-minute song? You might as well have gone and had a meal while you waited… If you had a stable connection… That was 10 years ago.

Get the picture?

How may wireless devices are in your home NOW… Imagine in a family home in 2018 with people trying to stream media on their mobile phones, or tablets, (or any other new device) and on their 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) TVs (just coming onto the market now) through their Wifi modem at the same time…  THEN, what about 2023… what NBN will such a family be connected to? Abbott’s copper-laced 25Mb/s? or fibre to the home….?

In 2003, did you imagine you would need the internet speed you need today?

In 2018, we probably will need much more than we need today… and then what speeds might we need by 2023??

Exactly Mekat.  People moaning about "we've got all the speed we need" are being shortsighted.  It's like building a 2 lane highway and then in 10 years' time, you've got to rip it up and add more lanes, when it should have just been done right in the first place with the initial construction.  If you build it, it will get utilised.

And as you've said, you don't build for the future, for the needs of today.  Like Skype, high def streaming video, Youtube etc, the things that will utilise the NBN have not yet been invented yet, or they'll become refined and improved because of it.  More and more people are switching off the TV and streaming their TV viewing onto mobile and computer screens, and that gobbles up bandwidth like crazy.

The future is online and in networked, web-enabled devices.  We need to plan for this now, and in a rare case, this has actually happened!  And then the Libs will come along and gimp it, proclaim how much money they've saved, and in 10 years' time when Labor's back in and has to upgrade the Lib-NBN, they get to sit back and complain about how much money Labor is spending.

#13 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1749 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

i'll go with this:

1) because people cant afford it and dont really want it. in all honesty, who here needs that kind of speed in their homes right now??

im pretty confortable knowing the web page im wanting to read will be in front of me in about 1/2 a second!!

and

2) becasue these mnorons are so friggin slow at rolling it out that pretty nobody is able to get it cause its not available to them!!

Take a look at iiNet's NBN plan pricing for home users: 

https://www.iinet.ne...dband/nbn/plans

100GB peak and offpeak data, the full 100mbps NBN speed, with 40mbps upload speed, for $79.95 a month.  That's only $20/month more than I currently pay and I get 3mbps download and sfa upload speed.  Watching iView or Youtube while the wife is also browsing can be painfully slow.

Drop the speed to 25mbps (the max you'd get on the current ADSL) and the price is $65.

So saying it's unaffordable doesn't seem to hold water.

And no government is ever able to roll out a massive project like this on time or on budget.  They just never seem to happen with any government, state or federal.

#14 Groove_Snob

Groove_Snob

NCCSSC X COC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3953 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

Exactly Mekat.  People moaning about "we've got all the speed we need" are being shortsighted.  It's like building a 2 lane highway and then in 10 years' time, you've got to rip it up and add more lanes, when it should have just been done right in the first place with the initial construction.  If you build it, it will get utilised.

call me cynical, but i reckon they build roads this way on purpose.....

firstly, if they built it right originally, all these people who are building the roads now would be unemployed

and secondly, the prices now compared to when the roads were originally built would be alot more, so thats just 'more of a drink' the builders can get out of it these days...  ;)

Got an issue??

Here's a tissue!! 😭

#15 Groove_Snob

Groove_Snob

NCCSSC X COC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3953 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Take a look at iiNet's NBN plan pricing for home users: 

https://www.iinet.ne...dband/nbn/plans

100GB peak and offpeak data, the full 100mbps NBN speed, with 40mbps upload speed, for $79.95 a month.  That's only $20/month more than I currently pay and I get 3mbps download and sfa upload speed.  Watching iView or Youtube while the wife is also browsing can be painfully slow.

Drop the speed to 25mbps (the max you'd get on the current ADSL) and the price is $65.

So saying it's unaffordable doesn't seem to hold water.

And no government is ever able to roll out a massive project like this on time or on budget.  They just never seem to happen with any government, state or federal.

im not saying its right or wrong Mub, im just saying it as it is. Nobody is talking about it cause nobody has it.......

its rolling out slow, simple as that. not throwing the blame game around, it is what it is.....

and it mightn't be much extra $$'s, but it still is extra....

Got an issue??

Here's a tissue!! 😭

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users