Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2200 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

Jack,

Also, try throwing with the left arm golf style and see your radius power in operation, footwork and ground forces.

Sustain the Lag and Aim it - then the Hinge Point.

Ask away Jack. "There is always something to improve". Ben Hogan.

Dart, that is a great little drill for the left side, something I desperately need at this point in time.

In regards to sustaining the lag, it would seem to me that it would be advantageous to have a slightly heavier club to achieve this. Is that a good idea or not?

#17 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4211 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

Jack,

Yes. Part of our bag of tricks is an iron rod with a grip on the end with no clubface to breed steering.

#18 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4211 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Devon, snap! As a fellow engineer, working through TGM has been just the type of structured approach that I needed. Unless you can accurately define what it is you are trying to explain or execute, its highly unlikely you will achieve a desired result. How can you ever communicate about a subject if there is no common language? Classic example is here, where you are on the other side of the earth and yet you can participate in the conversation, just as easily as if you were here.

Looking forward to following your words on your short game development. As you will have read, I'm currently working in that area as well. I'm finding that it is a great way to refine my technique, particularly as I can practice on my front lawn and I don't have to go down to the club to do it. I have made some major discoveries recently and it has all been done by pitching on the front lawn.

Homer Kelley's fondest hope is that we all speak the same language. Listening to non TGM golfers reminds me of the biblical Tower of Babel.

They fail to get a communication connection so don't ever get past square one. They look for THE answer when we know that there is a combination required.

#19 the draw

the draw

Not Even A Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1725 posts
  • LocationLost in space

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

Good to see you back here again, Paul

Edited by The Meerkat, 13 August 2013 - 10:54 AM.

• Madambo likes this

Just a tragic hacker
VTPP # 661

#20 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4211 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Meerkat,

Thanks. I presume you are doing well !

Jack,

I just noticed your new thread, and also that Dart was chipping in as well.  Great to see.

To follow on from your comments about lag and chipping, I am finding that the "drag the wet mop" idea works for me better than trying to feel the lag. 

If I try to feel the lag, sometimes I push at pp3 and throwaway or scoop, or sometimes I let go at pp3 and get no pressure, so the results are variable.

If I try to drag the wet mop, then I get less variability and sometimes I feel the lag as well, and sometimes I don't. 

The biggest difference in the full swing, for me, between a good one and a not so good one is the plane of the right shoulder.  Down plane, and I am likely to hit on full power.  Anything else, and I am on the way to something I won't like. 

One area that I have not started on is the plane line.  And I don't yet have a use for hinge actions.  I sort of understand them, but don't see what I would use them for, since angled hinging seems to just work. 

So, if anyone wants to comment on the use of hinge actions, I would be interested.  Also, I would be interested if anyone has a way of working on plane line without mirrors or cameras or laser pointers. 

Devon,

All this TGM stuff is very basic. It is up to you and your coach/friend to gain more and more precision.

Hinge actions will have a small amount of wobble and the hinge pin will be misplaced at times. Awareness of the small differences will see you through.

Without even a vague idea of Plane Line - what do you aim your Pressure Points at? Seeing what the pressure points do to a golf ball can change your life.

2J3 both Line and Arc must be entertained for full joy.

Once ball flight is delightful -  ball control is the next source of fun.

As HE says, one day the ball flight will programme the computer but only as well as it has been designed. Rubbish in - rubbish out.

I have learned that anyone can do brilliantly well but it ain't easy. It takes sweat, but in your own time.

#21 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:41 AM

Dart,

great to hear from you, thanks for the suggestions.

I have not really started on plane, and I am not aiming pressure points yet either.  I am purely trying to not come OTT with the right shoulder, and not throw away by using the drag feel.  Oh, and start down slowly whilst keeping the right shoulder back.  I aim to hit the inside of the ball, and drive it to the outside. Add a bit of balance, rhythm, steady head and that is all I do. 

Also, I set up at IF now, and also get the right forearm in plane at IF more. And I am trying to feel the power in the right forearm, rather than the hips or shoulders. 

Actually, that looks like more changes than I thought, now that I list them. 

That has got me from not being able to reach our 6 longer holes most weeks, to being able to reach all of them relatively easily.  And from 6/7 GIR per round to 9/10/11.  And down to 6 handicap.

Straight Plane Line is the biggest thing that I know that I don't know, hence my interest in the topic. 

We have about 2 more months of decent playing conditions here, and my main focus is to work on short game and putting while those conditions exist.  Then I will spend the winter trying to take the long game up another level. 

I am really pleased that there is some TGM talk going on again, because I am starting to think about what I will do this winter. 

Thanks again, Dart. 

#22 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2200 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

Dart,
You are a genius! Thanks firstly for your suggestion to try the left arm drill using the ball sling and scondly, to aim the pressure points.

The left arm drill does exactly what you said and helped me fix a serious flaw I have been having with my pivot. I think it could also help with getting the hinges right as well.

I didn't quite understand how aiming the pressure points could work. Anyhow, I gave it a go today and it worked a treat. It certainly helped with my ball striking and I can see how it could help with accuracy as well, given some time to practice. I worked on aiming PP#1 & 3 as these seemed easiest to do. Not sure how you would go about aiming PP#2?

These bits of the jigsaw are all starting to fit together now, isn't golf a wonderful thing?!

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 14 August 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#23 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

Jack,

just a suggestion, but how about we all clarify what patterns we are using (or at least think we are using), because when we talk about a topic, it could be that the conclusions would be different depending on the pattern.

To start the ball rolling, I think my pattern is 1,3 radial acceleration.  I won't use the term Hitting for this in case this is confused with 1,2,3 longitudinal. 

The crucial thing is that I am aiming for pre-stress rather than release of acc 2. 

#24 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2200 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

Jack,

just a suggestion, but how about we all clarify what patterns we are using (or at least think we are using), because when we talk about a topic, it could be that the conclusions would be different depending on the pattern.

To start the ball rolling, I think my pattern is 1,3 radial acceleration.  I won't use the term Hitting for this in case this is confused with 1,2,3 longitudinal. 

The crucial thing is that I am aiming for pre-stress rather than release of acc 2. 

Devon,

Good idea, it will make me analyse the structure of my swing. When you think about it, TGM is a structured way of putting together a DIY swing. I love experimenting and I enjoy spending time on the driving range, just trying different components. Ones that work, I persevere with, the rest, I discard. There is a junk yard full of discards. ISG has been very helpful in working through all these.

Getting back to your pattern, not sure if you are referring to accumulators or pressure points? In 10-11-0, PA#1 and PP#3 are the typical components of a hitting pattern. Is this what you are referring to?

I know I have a great emphasis on PA#1 and use PA#4. I am uncertain about PA#2 and 3 and I have some doubt as to whether these are really primary lever derived? After all, the primary lever is supposed to be inert. I have a theory that these are power couplings and not necessarily power sources. Needless to say, its a work in progress. When I figure it out, I will post it on this thread.

I also use pressure points #1 and #3, so on that basis, I am neither a hitter or a swinger, more like a switter.

With Dart's suggestion of aiming the pressure points, that has opened another set of options for me to explore. Already I have had some interesting results. Need to spend some more time on the practice tee working through this concept and improving my understanding.

Which is all good fun and I enjoy it. It what keeps me going

:)

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 15 August 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#25 OldMaverick

OldMaverick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2485 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:16 AM

Of course, the ultimate default aiming point is the hands' location in Impact Fix.

That incorporates the characteristics of the club and the location of the ball.

#26 OldMaverick

OldMaverick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2485 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

To feel the lag in practice take the right thumb off the grip (it should be resting only lightly on the grip anyway)

and stick it straight up. Rest the right index finger on the grip but take the tip of the finger off it and point it

towards the target to get it out of the picture. Now you may be able to feel the lag.

Another method is to place the tip pad of the right index finger on the sweet spot line and try to sense the lag

with it.

Annika Sorenstam (a TGM'er) suggested splitting the index and middle fingers of the right hand and running

the grip  between them to relax the arms and feel the lag pressure.

• Hat_Trick likes this

#27 OldMaverick

OldMaverick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2485 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

That was in practice. Everything we talk about here is in practice.

Trying to make it automatic so we don't think while playing.

#28 the draw

the draw

Not Even A Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1725 posts
  • LocationLost in space

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

Meerkat,

Thanks. I presume you are doing well !

Hi Paul

Have sent you a personal message.

Just a tragic hacker
VTPP # 661

#29 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2200 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

Of course, the ultimate default aiming point is the hands' location in Impact Fix.
That incorporates the characteristics of the club and the location of the ball.

Yes! I was surprised at how effective that aiming point was. Get that right and the hinges seem to work better too.

#30 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2200 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

Oh, and welcome back Loren, nice to see you here again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users