Bladerunner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hi all

Off to Vietnam in a couple of months and spending some time in Da Nang/Hoi An.

Will only be able to get one round in so I have to pick from:

Da Nang (Greg Norman design)

Laguna Lang (Nick Faldo design)

Montgomerie Links (er, Monty design)

Da Nang seems to be the pick of the bunch but would be grateful to hear of anyone's experiences on any of these courses.

Cheers

• handeltav likes this

#2 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

I went last August and played Monty then Normans. Normans the pick of the two. Don't know that Faldo was open. Pretty tough tracks but superb. It will be stinking hot, even early so get plenty of water.

Y will love the place, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

#3 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

Lucky bugger. Never played golf there as they didn't have courses there when I was there, but Vietnam is one of my fav countries in the solar system.

#4 Bladerunner

Bladerunner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

Cheers for the feedback Bernie - I'll be teeing off at Da Nang!

Yes, jafflemaker - amazing country: lovely people and the best street food on the planet.

Hoi An is a sensational spot - I could see myself living (ie retiring) there one day.

• jafflemaker likes this

#5 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

Yep agree 100%, beautiful place to retire to and cheap as chips, except the golf

#6 Schmuck

Schmuck

B Grader anywhere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10555 posts
  • Location1 club shorter

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

Never been to Vietnam...but this thread brings a smile with memories of Robin Williams in Good Morning...........
Nothing makes sense, except GOATS, they ALWAYS make sense

Ever noticed that Ducks swagger?

#7 Trickshot239

Trickshot239

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3556 posts
  • LocationA bit South of North of here

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

Good friends are going back there for their 6th visit soon. Staying on the coast somewhere (may be where you're going to) and have arranged a 2 br serviced apartment for $750 for a month. Needless to say - they love the place and the people.

#8 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3625 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:15 PM

Good friends are going back there for their 6th visit soon. Staying on the coast somewhere (may be where you're going to) and have arranged a 2 br serviced apartment for $750 for a month. Needless to say - they love the place and the people.

Things must be getting a lot more expensive then :)

#9 whippet

whippet

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

stayed at Da Nang last November and played both Montie and Norman courses.  $100US (A$ was near parity then) gave you a cart and a caddy(compulsory) who you should tip after the round. The caddies are expert at reading the greens so take their word for it. 

Preferred the Monty course but they are both outstanding layouts. More links in style whereas the Norman course has a bit more trickery which probably requires a few rounds to fully appreciate. The Norman course had a small issue with their fairway grass at the time but is likely to be fine now. Seashore Paspalum I think is the grass they use.

Great practice facilities too. Will be stinking hot so load up with water.  

#10 Cavo

Cavo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

Hoi An is my favorite city on the planet as well. Just a bit of advice, ring them all. Montgomery links had a two for one deal when I was there, so I played there. Very enjoyable.

#11 Bladerunner

Bladerunner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

Ended up playing Da Nang. It was so good the first time I played it again! Course in magnificent condition and the caddy's course knowledge was brilliant - particularly on the greens. 

Also played the Vietnam Golf & Country Club in Saigon - there are 2 and I played the one designed by Trevino. Recommended as well! 

Aah, Hoi An: 2 bedroom furnished house $350 a month to rent, Cargo Club, Son Restaurant and many others to dine at and Madame Khan with the best pork Banh Mi on the planet, Beer at 25 cents a glass and the Dingo Deli for a flat white and pie when you need some Aussie fare...and the Vietnamese have a wicked sense of humour. God I love Vietnam! 

• Tonk likes this

#12 Tonk

Tonk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2525 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

Goldy would have a field day at Cargo. All those cakes to devour.

#13 LiamRyan

LiamRyan

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

Visited Vietnam a few weeks ago, took my cliubs and played both Montgomerie Links and Danang (Normans). Both fantastic but probably leaned more towards Normans as a test of golf. Both quite "linksy" which is my preferred type of course and wonderfully presented. Shame that one round of golf costed about the same as a weeks worth of dinners at cracking Hoi An restaurants like Morning Glory and Miss Ly's but it's worth it.

Vietnam is one of the best countries I've ever visited. Playing golf was just icing on the cake.

#14 drgazgiz

drgazgiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3291 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

How things have changed. Forty-three years ago my brother was based as a nasho at Nui Dat (near Da Nang) during the Vietnam War.

Now he could go back and play golf?  :P

#15 sudsoz

sudsoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

stayed at Da Nang last November and played both Montie and Norman courses.  $100US (A$ was near parity then) gave you a cart and a caddy(compulsory) who you should tip after the round. The caddies are expert at reading the greens so take their word for it. 

Preferred the Monty course but they are both outstanding layouts. More links in style whereas the Norman course has a bit more trickery which probably requires a few rounds to fully appreciate. The Norman course had a small issue with their fairway grass at the time but is likely to be fine now. Seashore Paspalum I think is the grass they use.

Great practice facilities too. Will be stinking hot so load up with water.  

There are various deals to reduce the fees and I have never used a cart - just a caddie with a push buggy.  One deal is to upgrade your VN flight from SGN and they give you free green fees.  Much more expensive on weekends when the K's and J's are about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users