88 replies to this topic

#31 LilliPutt

LilliPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

Never been a Taylor Made guy and have bagged them before.

But this driver (the SLDR) is really impressive.

Apparently it is made out of a cheap Ti-aluminum alloy. It is head heavy and has a crappy smash factor

#32 Goldy

Goldy

LD AND NTP Winner....hehehe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24405 posts
  • LocationGrowling Frog

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

Apparently it is made out of a cheap Ti-aluminum alloy. It is head heavy and has a crappy smash factor

But apart from all that....all good?

Winner "Moonah Legends" 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner "The National" 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals

Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#33 Yarn20

Yarn20

The Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7825 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Far North NSW

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

I am using my old R7 460 at the moment. It is awesome. Anyone got any spare R& heads out there for when this one shites itself, let me know.

#34 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

Bluto Junior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11580 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

Thanks I'll take your word for it.

[attachment=536:images.jpg]

• Bumpun_Beetle and Mububban like this

#35 Codboy

Codboy

Tearing up country tracks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6136 posts
  • LocationIn the bar

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

I am using my old R7 460 at the moment. It is awesome. Anyone got any spare R& heads out there for when this one shites itself, let me know.

I have a mint r7 tp if you want mate
  • Yarn20 likes this
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#36 LilliPutt

LilliPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

But apart from all that....all good?

R1 is a much better choice.

#37 Yarn20

Yarn20

The Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7825 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Far North NSW

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

I have a mint r7 tp if you want mate

How much, Your Codliness?

#38 JADO75

JADO75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

I've got a SLDR & they go like the clappers, also have an R1 & its a beauty too.
LilliPutt, have you actually hit or held one or are you just quoting something you read on Golfwrx?

#39 NWABP

NWABP

Number 9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6898 posts
  • LocationCant-bra

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

which is better - SLDR or R1

which is more reliable?

#40 Timah

Timah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

I'll wait for the SLDR1...

• Weetbix likes this

Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5* w/ Kuro Kage Black 60x

Cobra Amp Cell 16* w/ Kuro Kage Black 70x

Cobra Amp Cell Hybrid 19* / TBC

Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW DGS300

Maltby Tricept Black 52*/56*

Scotty Cameron Golo 5 34"

#41 Codboy

Codboy

Tearing up country tracks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6136 posts
  • LocationIn the bar

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

How much, Your Codliness?

Afew beers next time we're drinking together ;-)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#42 Goldy

Goldy

LD AND NTP Winner....hehehe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24405 posts
  • LocationGrowling Frog

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

Might work out cheaper to pay full retail..... :rolleyes:

• Codboy, Bumpun_Beetle, Francie and 1 other like this

Winner "Moonah Legends" 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner "The National" 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals

Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#43 JADO75

JADO75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

Both sensational drivers in their own right. R1 will fit a broader range of people due to its adjustability & is just as good for low as it is high cappers. It's alot easier to find a shaft that works with the R1 due to having the ability to change loft from 8*-12*. I normally play my drivers at around 8* but after having read numerous reviews about the SLDR & it being lower launching I went with the 9.5* & I'm glad I did as it definitely comes out lower regardless of what shaft you use. The SLDR is lower spinning than the R1 which itself is a low spinning head, means you have to make sure you have enough loft to maximise your carry unless you're a high spin player which the low spin will help with.
I only hit my SLDR for the first time in a comp on Wednesday, pairing it with a Graphite Design Tour AD BB 6s. I wasn't swinging very well so it wouldn't have mattered what driver I was using but I saw enough good in it that I look forward to seeing what it is capable of when I put a consistently good swing on it. In saying that I hit some stupidly long balls out of the heel & nearly drove two par 4's (280m uphill, all carry & 330m, don't mean to be a tosser either) with a couple of good swings.
I went to my course today & spent some time trying some different shafts in the SLDR, tried an AD DI 6s, Oban Devotion 6s, Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65s & a Diamana D+ 62s. The big result I got is with a decent enough swing the SLDR is as long if not longer than anything I've ever hit. I even had the loft jacked up to 10.5* with all the shafts which is unheard of for me & got massive carry & the best part, plenty of release when it hit the ground. Biggest surprise was out of all the high end shafts I tried the stock 57 speeder was up there for length & accuracy. Best for me was the D+ so far, out of 12 balls, 9 were on the fairway, 2 just off & 1 went to another fairway. All were 280m+ balls, sounds like a passive brag I know but just trying to get across that with the right shaft this thing is seriously long. Was lucky enough to be swinging quite well today so can't report too much on misshits but after whiffing a few on Wednesday I think its pretty forgiving, although nowhere near as forgiving as the R1. I didn't mess around too much with the slide setting, having it set on a mid draw all day.
The other big difference between the SLDR & R1 is where the R1 has a high pitched crack when you hit it & feels quite harsh off the face (which I like) the SLDR has a really nice not ear piercing sound & feels much much softer off the face, much like the 580XD & 07 Burner lines.
Does the SLDR look a little cheap, if I'm honest Yeh it does but I'll get over it considering it gives you a low spin performing head in a forgiving 460cc.
If you want pure length I'd go with the SLDR, if you want a combination of length & forgiveness the R1 is your friend. If you have the time or resources to find the right shaft to match the SLDR head, that could definite be a game changer.
It may not be for everybody but don't discount it purely because its Taylormade.
Cheers
Jado
  • Mububban likes this

#44 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

Loads of TM staff players switched almost immediately to the SLDR and those guys don't switch unless it improves their numbers

#45 BeTheBall

BeTheBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

Just replaced my R580 with aldila proto vs 60-s with the SLDR standard stiff. Tried other drivers along the way but nothing made me want or need to change. Until now. Love the look, sound, feel, and accuracy of the new driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users