21 replies to this topic

#1 wuza09

wuza09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am heading to Bangkok in 5 weeks and going to play  a few games there, any thought on courses to play would be very much appreciated. I notice there are a lot to play but wont something within 30-40 minutes from town. .

#2 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

I played four courses in Bangkok

Windsor

Vintage

Royal Dusit

Thana City

I thought the last was probably the best of them

http://www.thanacity...m/?page_id=3875

It's a Greg Norman design. You'd have to budget about $150.00 for the round, that's clubs caddy and cart included its 15 minutes from the airport and half an hour from the centre of the city.

Windsor and Vintage are both pretty posh as well and to be truthful I can't tell them apart now. I played them all on successive days so they've all run toegther in my memory but I remember thinking Thana City was the best of them

Royal Dusit is the opposite from posh. It's pretty much in the centre of town in a rundown racecourse. It's an absolute hoot to play. I've reviewed it elsewhere on this forum. Play there for certain it's hilarious, I don't know who designed it but I'll bet it wasn't Greg Norman. As for costs there it's about $20 all up including caddy and rental clubs.

One word of advice you have to start fairly early I started one round at 1.00pm and had to abandon the 18th hole due to darkness when I realised I couldn't see the hole (which would have been right in front of me) let alone where my ball might be. The sun sets around 6.00pm so that's a five hour round the reason being the course was so crowded. Crowds won't be a problem at Royal Dusit

See all that stuff inside Homer? That's why your robot wouldn't work.

#3 wuza09

wuza09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

Thanks Elbarto

I am looking at a few courses in Bangkok at the moment I am going to tee off early in the morning arond 8.30am so I get thru quite, I did try Thana city but they have a course closed on the day I want to play

Regards

Rob

#4 Sheezy

Sheezy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

Going to keep an eye on this thread.

Heading to Bangkok next week. I've got a few courses I'm eyeing to play myself.
The Royal Dusit and similar courses where they don't really care are what I'm looking for, because I want to take some mates golfing as well, who are if you could nicely describe their skill level as hacks lol

#5 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:10 AM

Sheezy
Read this
http://forums.iseekg...sit#entry921064
It's my original review of The Royal Dusit. It sounds like it's right up your alley.

I've played more than a dozen courses in Thailand and I can honestly say that course (for all it's MANY faults) made the biggest impression on me. With a couple of mates who are not serious golfers it's far and away your best choice of the ones I've played. You might regret it but you won't forget it.

It's so deserted (despite being in the centre of town) that when I got there at noon I had the distinct impression I'd just woken everyone up. Just take plenty of balls. The fairways are criss-crossed with thin water channels and you are certain to plonk the ball into them at some stage.

Edited by Elbarto, 19 July 2013 - 05:17 AM.

#6 Sheezy

Sheezy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

Hahaha just read your review. Sounds freaking hillarious! Definitely a must do then with my mates. They are the type who like to have a beer per hole so sounds like it will suit us nicely!
Even better that there's no one around, in the city and cheap!

Also with golf in Thailand, especially the better courses, it is a must have to take a caddy correct?

#7 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

As far as I am aware caddies are compulsory everywhere, at some courses carts are also compulsory. Not at Royal Dusit though. There is no way you could get a cart around there so it's a walking course.

The caddy charge varies from place to place but it's not much considering the service you get.

#8 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9064 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hey sheet. Be sure to write up a report when you come back. Playing golf in Asia is always a bit of an eye opener!

Lol then again, based on the words golf and Bangkok in the title, I was almost hesitant to open the thread. !!!!!!
6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#9 Madambo

Madambo

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 12665 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

As far as I am aware caddies are compulsory everywhere, at some courses carts are also compulsory. Not at Royal Dusit though. There is no way you could get a cart around there so it's a walking course.

The caddy charge varies from place to place but it's not much considering the service you get.

Make sure you know what service you are actually paying for as well!

• Sandy likes this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

#10 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:31 AM

I just got back from Thailand and I played two more courses in Bangkok

Summit Windmill
Played at night for the first and probably only time. The course itself was excellent and I recommend playing there. Its actually cheaper to play at night, it cost me about $100, that included rental clubs, caddy hire and cart rental. In the daytime the green fees alone cost that much.

Apart from the novelty factor I didn't really like playing at night. The tees and the greens were well lit but the rest of the course was very dully lit and I walked straight past my ball on the well kept fairways many times. The rough is like a curtain of sheer black, good luck finding it if you hit the ball in there!

The lights are blinding and if someone is teeing off in your direction you cannot see it at all. I imagine people get sconed every day.

It was crowded and took 4 hours to play and I was the last person on the course. There was a marshall following behind me turning off the lights as we went along, that itself is very disconcerting. The caddy told me that sometimes they finish at 1.00am. I asked what it was like in the daytime and she said "very crowded" I'm not surprised it's a very good course. It is in the middle of nowhere, not only is the course way out near the airport but it's in the middle of a housing development and just getting out of that was a trial.

I also played Royal Golf and Country Club, another excellent course. It cost about $150 with rental clubs etc. Very difficult. Had the hardest hole I've ever seen. From the white tees it was a Par 3, 196 yards. Surrounded by water with bunkers everywhere the flag was behind a tree. I stood on the tee thinking, "There's nowhere to aim" I had to clear about 130 metres of water so I gave it a whack with a 3-wood and landed it in the drink to the right of the hole, water I wasn't even aware was there. Rather than tee one up again I just said to the caddy "I'll take a drop" It was just too hard.

It wasn't just me that thought it was a hard course. I heard some English blokes discussing it after I had finished and the conversation went like this...
"What did you think?"
"Great course, very hard though"
"Yeah"

It was so crowded we played bascially any hole that was free. Started with the second then played the sixth and then carried on in that fashion. It took well over four hours to play. Walking the course here is not an option. It would have taken forever to get through 18 holes in the correct order.

Anyway of all the courses I have played in Bangkok these were easily the best of them.

Edited by Elbarto, 27 November 2013 - 04:36 AM.

#11 Sheezy

Sheezy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:18 PM

Heading over to Thailand in about 7 weeks again, but this time going with a buddy that plays golf so now trying to research again!

A few questions if anyone could help me out with:
Was it worth taking clubs over (if you have), or were the hire clubs quality sticks at a reasonable price?
I'll be there for 8 days, wondering if it's worth to trek to somewhere like Hua Hin strictly for golf, or would we get our fix in the Bangkok city and it's surrounds? We only want to play maybe 3 or 4 rounds max.

Did you organise the golf trips yourself, or go through one of the many companies that run 'tours'?

Cheers again guys!

#12 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:36 AM

Eight days isn't very long so you don't want to travel too far afield.

Hua Hin has some great courses but it's a six hour round trip. How long do you want to spend in a car? It's also a touch on the dull side but for a short sharp golf trip it's an excellent choice. If you do go there make sure you play Black Mountain and Banyan. They were head and shoulders over the others which were themselves pretty good. After those two I'd put Majestic Creek for the experience of playing out in the jungle. Springfield is very good also

I personally just rocked up to the courses and played, others swear by the companies but I've never used one so can't comment.

The rental clubs can be diabolically bad but I figure if I am going to play ten times and it's $20 a time it's worth $200 to me NOT to have to lug my clubs with me everywhere so I always use the rentals. Only once or twice have I thought the clubs were so crappy it actually ruined my enjoyment of the day out. Some sets are sparkling, you just don't know until you get there.

I take shoes a glove and a supply of tees and balls and that's it. Balls can be very expensive there so I always make sure I have plenty you don't want to run out mid-round.

The courses in Bangkok are perfectly good but can be extremely crowded. I only ever played on weekdays.

Edited by El Barto, 21 May 2015 - 03:39 AM.

• Madambo likes this

#13 wizard_of_oz

wizard_of_oz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:08 PM

To each their own. I would hire clubs if I was playing 1-2 times on a trip and if it's just for sh$ts and giggles. But if I really wanted to enjoy the course and give it a good crack, I would definitely bring my own clubs. I used golfasian.com and they were good, depending on who answered your email, the response time can be either very quick or very slow but in terms of the drivers picking you up on time and waiting for you when you're done and organizing tee times, they were great. Well worth the money and the packages tend to be slightly cheaper than you organizing things on your own anyway. I've played 5 courses around BKK and they were all good, a little bit much of the same because they love to have water hazards throughout their courses. Some of the caddies there are a real hoot, fun and can give you a pretty decent read on the putting green but you got to take into account how much speed you putt with.

#14 Sheezy

Sheezy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for the info lads. Looks like we'll hang around Bangkok, decided we can't be bothered to travel all the way out to say Hua Hin/Pattaya just for a round of golf, as it looks like there isn't too much else in those places that interests us.

Any recommendations for courses in or close to BKK? 
Also thanks for the heads up with the golf rentals, pretty much reassured what I was thinking.

#15 El Barto

El Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

All the courses I have played in Bangkok are already mentioned in this thread but there are plenty of others.

Summit Windmill would be the pick of the ones I played and you can play under lights which is a worthwhile experience although I personally wouldn't go out of my way to do it again.

The courses can get VERY crowded so start early.

A couple of Bangkok courses I intend to play in the future are...
Lam Luk Ka

It's inexpensive and has 36 holes. The website has everything you could want right down to a map to hand the taxi driver before you go.
http://www.lamlukkac...mapfortaxi.html

Another interesting one is Royal Gems
http://www.golfsaver...-gems-golf-city
It's a replica course The first nine is famous holes from around the word and the back nine is the back nine at Augusta! Could be fun to play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users