• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MappaTassie

MappaTassie

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

G'day, I'm heading to Murray Downs in August and was wondering what condition the course is usually in at that time of year, especially the greens. Any reports on what sort of knick it's in now would be great Cheers

#2 Tackleberry

Tackleberry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:28 AM

It is mint right now.

#3 Juggs Judy

Juggs Judy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:55 AM

My Dad played there recently and said it was the best he's ever seen the condition.

#4 Bubba7

Bubba7

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

Have played there in Winter and Summer and both times was in excellent condition. Sensational track...

#5 YouGottaHitIt

YouGottaHitIt

8 for 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

Was a member there in 2012. Have moved away now, so can't comment on current condition...

Last winter there were some issues with the greens, but that was due to an unfortunate mistake from the ground staff - nothing to do with the weather. And to their credit, the club was very forward about telling potential visitors of the issues.

Apart from that, it's a fantastic track year round. In winter, the couch goes a little dormant (as you would expect), makes the fairway lies a bit tighter, but also makes the rough much easier, so evens out overall.

Definitely worth the trip any time of year IMHO. If you're up there for a couple of days, Barham and/or Cohuna are definitely worth a round as well - both within an hour of Swan Hill and excellent tracks.

Certainly not the most accessible area of the Murray, but well worth the extra travel. Some fantastic courses on offer.

Edited by YouGottaHitIt, 03 July 2013 - 07:41 PM.

If you can read this you're too close!
http://www.golflink....k_No=3040204856

#6 peak_sy

peak_sy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

Don't book early morning, frost can be an issue in winter.

#7 FrontBunker

FrontBunker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Was a member there in 2012. Have moved away now, so can't comment on current condition...

Last winter there were some issues with the greens, but that was due to an unfortunate mistake from the ground staff - nothing to do with the weather. And to their credit, the club was very forward about telling potential visitors of the issues.

Apart from that, it's a fantastic track year round. In winter, the couch goes a little dormant (as you would expect), makes the fairway lies a bit tighter, but also makes the rough much easier, so evens out overall.

Definitely worth the trip any time of year IMHO. If you're up there for a couple of days, Barham and/or Cohuna are definitely worth a round as well - both within an hour of Swan Hill and excellent tracks.

Certainly not the most accessible area of the Murray, but well worth the extra travel. Some fantastic courses on offer.

Hi YGHI,

Any thoughts on Kerang GC? Got family up that way and keep meaning to have a hit at Kerang but keep ending up at MD.

#8 MappaTassie

MappaTassie

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

Don't book early morning, frost can be an issue in winter.

Thanks for the advice.  I think we're off from 1030am - 110am or something like that

#9 YouGottaHitIt

YouGottaHitIt

8 for 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hi YGHI,

Any thoughts on Kerang GC? Got family up that way and keep meaning to have a hit at Kerang but keep ending up at MD.

To be honest I've never actually played a round at Kerang, so can't speak from personal experience. From what I've heard, nice enough little country track, but really not on the same level as its nearest neighbours.

So I guess my thoughts on Kerang would be:

1) Barham & Cohuna are both less than 1/2 an hour away

2) Murray Downs is only 45 minutes away

If you're interested in something other than Murray Downs, I'd definitely suggest Barham - one of my favourite tracks.

#10 marcush39

marcush39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

Just squeezed in 18 this afternoon and this is a sensational track in absolutely superb condition! Had an 84 off the stick off the black tees too so played reasonably well too. I'd played the back 9 about 2 years ago and thought it was a super course but it's another level right now. Apparently there's a newish course super who's taken it to another level. Fairways are mint. Greens are immaculate. Bunkers consistent. Anyone coming up to Swan Hill just has to have a round here. Only $20 to play during the week and reasonable on weekends too (even more so if you're a member of one of their MANY reciprocal clubs). Can't wait to come back.
  • Francie, davenic and YouGottaHitIt like this

#11 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32809 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

Just squeezed in 18 this afternoon and this is a sensational track in absolutely superb condition! Had an 84 off the stick off the black tees too so played reasonably well too. I'd played the back 9 about 2 years ago and thought it was a super course but it's another level right now. Apparently there's a newish course super who's taken it to another level. Fairways are mint. Greens are immaculate. Bunkers consistent. Anyone coming up to Swan Hill just has to have a round here. Only $20 to play during the week and reasonable on weekends too (even more so if you're a member of one of their MANY reciprocal clubs). Can't wait to come back.

Were you in the comp?

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#12 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8902 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:34 PM

We're heading up to swan hill Melbourne Cup weekend. Definitely have to go check it out!
  • YouGottaHitIt likes this
6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

#13 marcush39

marcush39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:58 PM

Were you in the comp?

No mate. It was very much a last minute thing. Didn't get onto the course until about 3pm. Played the front 9 really quickly & last 2 holes in near darkness.

#14 YouGottaHitIt

YouGottaHitIt

8 for 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:37 PM

We're heading up to swan hill Melbourne Cup weekend. Definitely have to go check it out!

You won't regret it little fella. One of my favourite tracks of all time. Think my membership in 2012 was about $450. Good times...
  • GhettoGolfer likes this

#15 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8902 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:03 PM

You won't regret it little fella. One of my favourite tracks of all time. Think my membership in 2012 was about $450. Good times...

Awesome then - we are staying 4 days so will squeeze in at least 1 round, maybe 2. 

6th March 2016 - Beat the ISG Matchplay Champion!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users