#1 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1650 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

Launching June 10 for those that like the driver but hate the white colour
When an all-black TaylorMade R1 driver first showed up on the USGA's Conforming Driver List at the end of April, TaylorMade officials were quick to squash the rumors surrounding the mystery club. What was known at the time was that driver was a smaller-headed 400 cc, left-handed R1 prototype that,according to TaylorMade Public Relations Manager Dave Cordero, wasn't coming to retail. While the 400 cc prototype fell short of making it to retail, TaylorMade announced on Thursday that an all-black 460 cc R1 model would debut next week on the PGA TOUR at the FedEx St. Jude Classic in Memphis, before hitting retail shelves on June 10. The new model will also mark the first time since 2010 that the company has produced a driver with a black crown.

“For three years we have only made white drivers and have heard from a number of golfers who just prefer the look of black,” said President and CEO, Mark King. “Our commitment has always been to provide golfers with the best performing golf equipment. The R1 Black gives players who prefer that color access to our industry leading technology.” Like the white R1, the all-black version will have the same adjustability features -- 12 loft-sleeve settings, 7 face-angle position, and two moveable shot-shape weights -- as well as an ultra-light Aldila RIP Phenom shaft.

#2 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1650 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

Forgot to add pic, looks in between gloss and the Ping matte black finish Black R1

#3 Muffzibit

Muffzibit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

ooh....that looks naaicce......

#4 chasing_birdies

chasing_birdies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Annoying when you've got a white one already only 6 months ago grrrr..... It will be limited as well

#5 Goldy

Goldy

Bluto Snr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23222 posts
  • LocationAnimal House

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

I'm happy with my white one. Thanks Hawkers.

#6 The_Boz

The_Boz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2210 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

Everything that is old is once again new,,,,,

#7 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11740 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

Wow... when a black driver is "new " colour in golf, I'm a little out of touch with trends...

#8 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12125 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:03 AM

So my black R7 is just like having a new one ?

#9 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1650 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

There will only be 150 in Australia, all through Drummond exclusively. I'd expect them to sell very quickly.

#10 Kerbox

Kerbox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:10 AM

Too bad it still has that stupid adjuster on the bottom, replace that with flat black with just the logos, with this black finishing and it might then actually be the best looking driver around. Too bad they did go with a 400cc model as well since it would be so tempting, and I do not Taylormade. Amazing this is limited addition, colour should be standard, I bet it will be with their next model. Lacklustre sales much?

#11 Kerbox

Kerbox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

http://www.golfwrx.c...ould-look-like/ Now this is how you fix the original paint work, any re-finishers here in Australia?

#12 hakman

hakman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

Not a big fan of the black. Hopefully they release a white one soon

#13 chasing_birdies

chasing_birdies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Found the vid on YouTube. It's not a matte black. Black R1

#14 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1650 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:33 AM

Yeah, that's super glossy. Interesting they didn't go matte seeing as they did the white to reduce glare (and stand out from every other brand).

#15 Kannis

Kannis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationSydney NSW

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

Love it, but I also love my white one. Don't care what people say it's a top driver, I'm hitting way better than I ever have before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users