804 replies to this topic

#16 bhughesgolf

bhughesgolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

Stink People come over the top because they dont know what proper impact is- number 1 culprit They have no range of motion in their forearms or closure of their torso. Lets start with this one: Hold both arms chest high out in front of you with palms facing and then rotate your left arm clockwise and right arm clockwise. The left arm can rotate approx 270 degrees. The right arm will only rotate 90 degrees. For the right hand golfer this can spell disaster because they want to use their dominant right arm to hit the ball and they dont build rotational range/strength into that arm as they have limited range in by human design ( thats what we spoke about earlier!!!! with the problem/solution) so they shut the clubface and come down steep and straighten their right arm and try steer the ball- disaster You have to know PROPER usage of the rotational range of your forearms into impact before transition or downswing will alter

#17 peak_sy

peak_sy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

Thanks Brad. My answer for your question-too much trying to get in the slot. I know when I'm swing well, I just swing well, and I can really feel the ball on the clubface. If I try to force anything I'm stuffed.

#18 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3321 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

The floodgates are open! ;)

Resident forum moderator
Any issues contact content @ iseekgolf.com

We have been here before...........yes? hope it all goes well

#19 Stinkler

Stinkler

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25175 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

The floodgates are open! ;)

Resident forum moderator
Any issues contact content @ iseekgolf.com

We have been here before…........yes?

hope it all goes well

Golfs ABC…………..Always Be Cool……….Thanks paul Hart

If people remain respectful, all is well and good. So Brad, next thing is creating that right arm strength and flexibility I guess. Does it help I'm the ISG arm wrestle champ? :) Anyhow, I'm listening!

#20 bhughesgolf

bhughesgolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

ok, so im going to ask a question too….

why do i feel more confident over a ball went i have some good shaft lean at address?

how important is forward shaft lean?

why do some players have more than others and what are the pro’s and cons?

does it essentially result in de-loft at impact or not?

“I work with retards, Those goofy bastards are about the best thing I’ve got going.” – Pat Healy – “There’s Something About Mary”

Shaftlean can be a false thing to aim for. If the pressures of working into impact are correct shaft lean may look evident but it really isnt there. Look at the Hogan photo I put in the other thread. His shaft is hardly leaning at all when the angle is compared to his address position Shaft lean should really not be sought after even though its a nice premise. Most people get the ball too forward in their stance and 'fake' shaft lean by leaning their hands forward just to strike the ball and then say "hey look at least I have shaft lean". The handle should be ever so slightly ahead of the clubhead and it is done by acceleration and inside approach with rotational aspects working in pressures also- thats your down and thru NOT by trying to strike down and thru As for different looks of different players- everyone has different strengths in their legs- hands- etc etc... So pressures can be exerted differently and therefore look different. What is happening on the inside gives bystanders the visual of the swing from the outside.... trying to do something with the swing is faking it and wont work often or even be repeated with any regularity at all

#21 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4745 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

but shaft lean at impact is a different story ...right? the hands ahead of the ball at impact???

#22 2manybogeys

2manybogeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

I made this photo sequence up today as someone was interested in my comments on another thread.

It isobvious which golfer is moving their body in cohesive movement with the orbiting club and which one is not.
Why then from a very similar nice slot can one look connected and rotating with their entire body and one has to stall the body and wing the weaker arms and hands at the ball

Hi Brad - so good to have you posting here. Your words make so much sense and love hearing from someone who can do it. What went wrong with golf instruction to have two very different styles as displayed in the pictures ? What was the intended reasoning for it ?

#23 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4745 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

so brad, forward shaft lean at address more or less is irrelevant as to impact shaft lean and purely personal preference?

#24 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4661 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

Do you use or recommend any swing training aids in your teaching and which one's?

#25 bhughesgolf

bhughesgolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

Not necessarily hack pro Hogans hands aren't ahead of the club head in that pic by more than inch at the most. The tighter the upper arms are to the trunk the less shaft lean. He did it the perfect way to not disrupt the club face at impact or thru the strike. And he gets to use his pivot to keep compression and power and control through and beyond impact

#26 bhughesgolf

bhughesgolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

Do you use or recommend any swing training aids in your teaching and which one’s?

I use an impact bag but in a very specific manner. A golf ball weighs 1.62 oz and the bag I get people to make weighs 10-15kgs. Much more muscle structure and strength can be built into the 'golf muscles' required this way so the learning curve is accelerated quicker. Like a boxer punches a bag or speedball to build up his strength and resistance in the proper places. That's it Danz... we swing a golf club when we play so no need to train with anything otherwise

#27 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4745 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

ok, i can see that... but even the slightest, they still must be ahead of the ball at impact right?

#28 bhughesgolf

bhughesgolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:06 AM

Stink part 2 and others Stand there in a stance orientation and move your right arm up somewhere near where the top of the backswing would be. Now rotate your right forearm counter clockwise ( where the palm starts pointing skywards)...... Tell me what happens to 1) the right elbow and 2) the right shoulder You should now begin to know how to help get yourself into the slot. Of course there is lower body work involved also but let's just focus on what that does first

#29 Stinkler

Stinkler

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25175 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

1) right elbow tuck in towards hip, sort of forward and down? 2) right shoulder hangs back and drops?

#30 bhughesgolf

bhughesgolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

ok, i can see that…

but even the slightest, they still must be ahead of the ball at impact right?

“I work with retards, Those goofy bastards are about the best thing I’ve got going.” – Pat Healy – “There’s Something About Mary”

Ideally yes ever so slightly. to what degree depends on lower body motion and amount of spine tilt and where the pressures are in the feet and grip... Lots of rights and Lots of wrongs. Gainey hands leading more- strong grip lots of tilt Donald just leaning forward and less spine tilt This is faking it by just leaning the hands forward and bringing the club head down steep on the ball If you use correct forearm rotation and upper arm connection the right arm will stay bent and near the core and work into a bent right wrist position and the left hand will 'supinate' (as Hogan called it)..... There's your shaft lean right there....nothing more needed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users