#46 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

So bumping this...

Pretty much after giving this a solid crack for a few months, life got in the way and i really managed a couple games a year if that until the last couple months I've got the bug back in a big way...

Scores have been around the 100 mark.. first few times were above 60 for 9 holes.. best so far was a 47 at centenary park so still back on the goal I had 4 years ago to break 90.

Swing, I am still working out. Still a big slicer of the ball and actually looked at some divits and they were heading a fair way toward the left which tells me im cutting across the ball... so trying to work that out! Wish knowing what you're doing meant you could fix it easily but it doesn't work that way does it....

Reading through this old thread and it's funny the short game was my big problem last time. I'd say that's my strength now. Putting is quite good.. without holing too many outside of 3-4 feet I know anywhere on the green I can get it close and should max 2 put.. and I'm confident anywhere within 100 meters from the green I can get it close..

Going to look for a new driver as mine was a gift 4 years ago and I think is for the advanced golfer hence I can't control the slice but when it's straight it goes.. so going to look at a new one I'm prepared to sacrifice distance for accuracy.

Also would like a membership but haven't seen anywhere I can justify the cost particularly if I can't play a lot in certain periods due to full time work and study around it.

Anyway lets see how this goes.

• GhettoGolfer and Madambo like this

#47 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39376 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:17 PM

Have fun and good luck
  • Special07 likes this

Handicap

Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016

Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands

Goal: A round at par or better!

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

Brisbane Fairways 2015 Clubman of the Year

Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island

Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands

South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer

http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#48 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

Booked in for a lesson Thursday evening. Hopefully get some pointers and exercises about correcting this slice. I know I'm cutting across the ball but can't stop it so hopefully this helps.

Went to look at drivers and the bloke at the store said to fix that part of my swing first because if i buy a driver now it may be wrong for me once i've corrected my swing. Was very pleased with that honesty as I think plenty others would have just gone for the sale.

Played a cheeky 9 today as I had another day off on the back of the long weekend. Shot a 49. Played ok. Was finding the fair way but hitting the slice was just managing it. Probably fell down with my hybrid - 7 iron shots and was not too bad within 100 and on the greens. No 3 puts.

Good start, gotta keep practicing.

#49 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:27 PM

Will also see about clubs when I've corrected my swing a bit.. My clubs were given as a gift 4 years ago and while I like my clubs, they have stiff shaft and not really great given my natural slice so will have a look at that too once a bit of works been done.

#50 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33033 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

Sometimes a club shaft change might be all you need to address a slice. If you are cutting across the ball then that's probably the cause but with a driver.....it might be an incorrect shaft. As your clubs were a present.....take your clubs to GOLFGUY and let him see if you just need some adjustments.

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#51 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:59 PM

Sometimes a club shaft change might be all you need to address a slice. If you are cutting across the ball then that's probably the cause but with a driver.....it might be an incorrect shaft. As your clubs were a present.....take your clubs to GOLFGUY and let him see if you just need some adjustments.

Definitely cheers for the advice! After my swings corrected will see if what I've got is right for me!
  • Francie likes this

#52 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18918 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:52 AM

Welcome back Spec ........

So the slice is still hanging around after all this time hey?

One thing I found that helps me to avoid a slice is to try and stay facing the ball more at impact.

Slices usually occur when the shoulders get way ahead (and open) thru the downswing before the ball has been struck, so feeling like your shoulders are still pointing to the target at impact tends to get the swing coming thru a lot straighter.

If they still go right after you know that you've been facing the ball thru impact ..... then it's probably related to your hands and wrists remaining open (leaving the clubface open at impact) and just blocking them out to the right of the swing path.

Tis nothing that can't be fixed though ... as a 20 year chronic slicer of the ball it took one sentence to fix my slice (by a trainee pro down at Centenary), when he told me to try to hit them through mid on, rather than out through covers. That was enough to prompt my hands and wrists to work correctly through the impact zone.

Just my thoughts ........ hope it helps ..... :D

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2016.

#53 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

Welcome back Spec ........

So the slice is still hanging around after all this time hey?

One thing I found that helps me to avoid a slice is to try and stay facing the ball more at impact.

Slices usually occur when the shoulders get way ahead (and open) thru the downswing before the ball has been struck, so feeling like your shoulders are still pointing to the target at impact tends to get the swing coming thru a lot straighter.

If they still go right after you know that you've been facing the ball thru impact ..... then it's probably related to your hands and wrists remaining open (leaving the clubface open at impact) and just blocking them out to the right of the swing path.

Tis nothing that can't be fixed though ... as a 20 year chronic slicer of the ball it took one sentence to fix my slice (by a trainee pro down at Centenary), when he told me to try to hit them through mid on, rather than out through covers. That was enough to prompt my hands and wrists to work correctly through the impact zone.

Just my thoughts ........ hope it helps ..... :D

Yes mate still there! Probably had some sort of control over it when I was taking it seriously but had crept back in now after not playing much ..

The issue is definiteky me cutting across the ball on the way down.. I think the back swing is fine but then I must bring the club around and cut across on the way down ..

Thanks for the tips though I will try them all as I think my slice is a combination of everything with the main thing being cutting across

About to sign up at Berwick montuna .. not my favourite course in the world but at 660 for full access 7 day membership the best value we could find by a mile

#54 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18918 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

That is certainly a bargain $660.

Montuna is a bit of a weird course I reckon that is probably a touch outdated now due to equipment improvements, particularly on a lot of those short par 4's.

The 1st in particular is now just a farce.

Back a couple of years ago, it was a steeply downhill reachable par 4 that you could reach with driver, 3W or less, so they went and built a huge grass mound right in front of the green, obviously to stop people from actually trying to drive it. 

Now they leave grass on the mound long so most are forced to lay up before it and then have a short pitch over it. Tis a stupid hole design I reckon that they could have done a lot more with, given some creative thoughts.

I'm not much a fan of the front half of the course, as it forces you to play a lot of specific shots off the tees, and limits how far you can hit it due to the weird doglegs, eg holes 2, 5, 7, but the back half opens up a touch and there are some good holes out there.

I particularly like the Par 4 10th, dog leg left around the water, as that at least offers you a choice of a few different clubs off the tee depending on how much of the corner you want to risk biting off.

It is a course though that will help teach you to shape shots both ways, and get you to hit more than just driver off the tees, so you should enjoy the challenge. :)

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

2016 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner (Pending successful legal action)

EVENT WINS
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

#55 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33033 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:09 AM

Montuna is a bit of a weird course I reckon that is probably a touch outdated now due to equipment improvements, particularly on a lot of those short par 4's.

The 1st in particular is now just a farce.

Back a couple of years ago, it was a steeply downhill reachable par 4 that you could reach with driver, 3W or less, so they went and built a huge grass mound right in front of the green, obviously to stop people from actually trying to drive it. 

Now they leave grass on the mound long so most are forced to lay up before it and then have a short pitch over it. Tis a stupid hole design I reckon that they could have done a lot more with, given some creative thoughts.

I'm not much a fan of the front half of the course, as it forces you to play a lot of specific shots off the tees, and limits how far you can hit it due to the weird doglegs, eg holes 2, 5, 7, but the back half opens up a touch and there are some good holes out there.

I particularly like the Par 4 10th, dog leg left around the water, as that at least offers you a choice of a few different clubs off the tee depending on how much of the corner you want to risk biting off.

It is a course though that will help teach you to shape shots both ways, and get you to hit more than just driver off the tees, so you should enjoy the challenge. :)

Where's Wasabie'?   I would have thought there would have been a little "coaxing" from him promoting your course.   ;)

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#56 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18918 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:59 PM

Where's Wasabie'?   I would have thought there would have been a little "coaxing" from him promoting your course.   ;)

As you know Frank, he moves in mysterious ways.

He'll probably find this thread a month or two from now and bemoan the fact that he wasn't asked his opinion on which course Spec should join.

It probably won't stop him from putting a belated case forward for Beacy however .... :D

• Francie likes this

EVENT WINS

#57 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:34 PM

The 1st in particular is now just a farce.

Back a couple of years ago, it was a steeply downhill reachable par 4 that you could reach with driver, 3W or less, so they went and built a huge grass mound right in front of the green, obviously to stop people from actually trying to drive it.

Very accurate description of montuna ! I'd have liked to sign at either beacon hills or centenary park but can't justify the cost so montuna makes sense at that price ... and I will definitely learn control and to hit the ball straight there which is probably what I need! That 10th is a killer!!

Had a lesson tonight . He filmed and slowed down my swing and immediately pointed out my wrists are breaking on the back swing and drawing the club outside of where the swing path should be ..so was working on keeping the wrists dead straight and not breaking until the back swing is past the hips.. immediately brought the path back in where it should be.. was just doing chips about half swing working on that motion ..

Went straight to the range and after doing that for half the balls opened up on the pitching and 7 irons and hit them really well.. was a really concentrated back swing keeping the wrists straight .. then tried with the hybrid and driver and found the movement quite uncomfortable and was still slicing but I know I need to keep practicing the movement was just curious to try it... another lesson next week so will keep working on that!!
  • Weetbix and GPJ_Longdriver like this

#58 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

I reckon I have been doing the first 2 of these things comfortably. The first one is the main thing my coach was focusing on at my lesson.. Took to the range after and didn't realise I was really doing the second one until watching this now.

• hack2489 likes this

#59 hack2489

hack2489

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:42 AM

Had a lesson tonight ...

... another lesson next week ...

Smart move getting lessons. They are a long term investment. While new clubs are great, a better swing is far more beneficial.

Just ensure you have quality practice in between the lessons so you get maximum benefit from the recommended changes. No sense spending the money on lessons on to not put the time in to complete any drills and practice.If your time is limited and you can not get a few quality practice sessions in before the next lesson, push the lesson out for a week, or a few days.

Also, remember recovery time. A day off between practice can make a big difference. If you're really keen and want to practice every day, mix it up. So, say day one, do the Iron and full swing work, then next day do some chipping and putting practice.

How do you practice? How many balls would you hit over what time period?

#60 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

Smart move getting lessons. They are a long term investment. While new clubs are great, a better swing is far more beneficial.

Just ensure you have quality practice in between the lessons so you get maximum benefit from the recommended changes. No sense spending the money on lessons on to not put the time in to complete any drills and practice.If your time is limited and you can not get a few quality practice sessions in before the next lesson, push the lesson out for a week, or a few days.

Also, remember recovery time. A day off between practice can make a big difference. If you're really keen and want to practice every day, mix it up. So, say day one, do the Iron and full swing work, then next day do some chipping and putting practice.

How do you practice? How many balls would you hit over what time period?

Solid advice ! Need to keep the practice interesting too or it will get old real quick so mixing it up is a good idea..

I do struggle with the practice as there's no ranges close to me open beyond 5:30-6. The only ones are over 30 mins from me. Since getting back into it have barely practiced at the range but after the lesson went and hit 100 balls and half of that was just practicing the movement he was getting me to do with just pitching .. before opening up and hitting full shots ..

Will go again today and practice that and have a round booked tomorrow
  • Madambo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users