#16 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3736 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

What puts me off it, and is probably the wrong way to look at it, is that I am younger than most members you would find at a golf club. That comment is more an assumption without actually knowing though.
Well, I play at a course where I am one of the few women members who play on my course who are under 40. The people I have ended up finding my place with are a lot older than me. My experience is that age is one of the least important factors in finding people that match with your preferences for how to play the game. You will find uptight buttholes, but you will also find great fun people who suit your game - just keep trying different groups till you find one that fits your preference.

#17 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3736 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

Yep…....all her 50 odd Vics from ISG as well…...
Ouch, butthurt much? Wanna take me on at handicap matchplay?

#18 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

Played a quick 9 this morning. Was pleased. Still some inconsistencies in all aspects but was striking the ball quote nice. Didn't slice it until the last 2 holes before that was hitting straight and long if anything pulling slightly left. Irons were ok, short game rubbish putting not bad. Ended with 46, 2 pars, 5 bogies, 1 double, 1 triple. Can definitely work with that

#19 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

From my 9 today. First - Drive that I surprisingly but pleased to see hit left rather than big right. Missed the fairway on the left but had a clear shot in about 100 out . 9 iron in, only 3 qtr swing landed next to pin rolled off the back. Chip up and an easy put for par. 2nd - I hate this hole find it the toughest.. Long but downhill par 3 with bunker right in the middle at the front of green. I went too far left, chipped up was short and on the edge of green long way from pin. 3 putted, was terrible.for a double 3rd - Nice and again straight drive on top of hill on par 5. 2nd shot 3 wood sliced but not horribly, into the trees but dropped with a clear shot and only 100 out, pitch in went too far and rolled off the green over the back, chip back up and 2 put for bogey. 4th - Par 5 again, again hit it straight but pulled it left, had no slice on it whatsoever which i was starting to think I may have shaken it. Was near the trees but nice clear shot. Hybrid pushed it right to the other side and stopped just next to the trees. Within 100 out pulled the chip in left, chipped up, 2 putted for bogey. 5th - Par 4, dogleg left, pulled into the trees, chipped out, 8 iron to the egde of green and 2 put. Happy with how I played the hole after pulling the tee shot into trouble. Bogey 6th - Par 3, iron perfect length but pulled slightly left, hit the edge of a bunker thankfully on the good side and rolled onto the green. Birdy put went close and tap in par. 7th - Par 4 - Tee shot straight down the middle, approach shot landed shot, chip on left a decent length put for par, went close, tap in bogey. 8th - Par 4, Big slice there it is back again! Punched 7 iron through the trees, Approach shot too far rolled off green down the back. chip on a quick green rolled to the other side 3 put from distance was terrible and a triple bogey. 9th - Par 4, Long drive that hugged the trees but a slight fade saved it and ended up left on the edge of fair way 80 out was very happy. pitching wedge in was a bad one short, chipped on and another 2 put. Bogey As you can see I wasted a lot of good positions so overall feel like there is plenty of improvement that can be made and some real positives coming along. Need to keep going upward with that consistency. New putter, bought today, should help as was borrowing a mates and hated it. But mostly happy with the driver today, need to keep working on this new grip, set up and swing and hopefully keep seeing improved results.

#20 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18496 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

Special ........ Some quick tips if I may be so bold, for playing Beacy's front 9. 2nd hole. You have 3 options on this one. Aim at the green and fly it all the way there (and hope it stops) ..... aim right and drop it a club short and let the hill kick it back (how the oldies play the hole) .......... or aim slightly left to the flat section between the bunkers at the front and left of the green. My suggestion is to play it safe, (with whatever shot you think will do that) For the green itself ....... and everything breaks gently away from the hill towards the back left corner, so if you're at the front of the green putting towards the middle of it, aim just a touch right of the hole location . not far outside, but just outside the hole right. 3rd hole ....... 2nd shot. From the top of the hill ....... the best way I've found to play it, is to aim left of the green (at the mound), and do not be long. From anywhere left, its just an easy chip across to the green, and on landing its into the slight upslope which slows the ball quickly. For the chip over, the best miss is to finish left of the hole, eg, below it. In heading left for your 2nd shot, it takes out all the danger of overshooting the green .... or in leaving yourself with a nasty downhill chip to a green that runs quickly away from you, that you are never going to be able to stop the ball close on. 4th hole 2nd shot. You're generally hitting off an uphill sloping lie, and really, the only priority here, is just to get it up and onto the flat section so that you have a clear shot into the green. I play for 100m out from wherever I finish after my drive (so level with the Cypress tree on the left hand side) so sometimes its just a mid iron or less for me to get safely on it, and I don't have to risk hitting a longer club. You can't go left on that 2nd shot or you fall off the ledge, and you can't go too far right either, as the overhanging trees will tend to block out your 3rd shot, so you just need to position yourself on the plateau correctly. Possibly consider using any club that will leave you with an open shot to the green from a flat lie, (the shortest club you can hit with your 2nd shot the better I reckon). 7th hole uphill approach shot ...... club up. Always go for the back of green distance (if you have a GPS or rangefinder), If there is any wind into you, then you also can add another half a club. You can also try and use a low punch shot on this one, landing it just short so that it runs up and on. The steep rise at the back of the green will generally feed the ball back down, (unless you really smash it). 9th Hole ....... left side is good (even at times when you go into the trees, as often you get a good line back to the green when your less than a hunge out with your drive. It is also a more straight uphill shot from the left hand side, so the ball stops quicker once its on the green. Right side and you run the risk of the overhanging stuff, and also in going over the left edge of the green on landing it. So anywhere middle left in the fairway is perfect, as you found. From 80m out you want to hit a high soft landing one, but you do need to make sure you get it all the way there. It's uphill and generally plays into the wind, (so it can add more than a few metres to your shot) ....... so PW was probably the right club choice to hit. Just a few things to ponder ....

#21 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:06 AM

Special ….....

Some quick tips if I may be so bold, for playing Beacy’s front 9.

2nd hole. You have 3 options on this one. Aim at the green and fly it all the way there (and hope it stops) ..... aim right and drop it a club short and let the hill kick it back (how the oldies play the hole) .......... or aim slightly left to the flat section between the bunkers at the front and left of the green. My suggestion is to play it safe, (with whatever shot you think will do that)

For the green itself ….... and everything breaks gently away from the hill towards the back left corner, so if you’re at the front of the green putting towards the middle of it, aim just a touch right of the hole location . not far outside, but just outside the hole right.

3rd hole ….... 2nd shot.

From the top of the hill ….... the best way I’ve found to play it, is to aim left of the green (at the mound), and do not be long. From anywhere left, its just an easy chip across to the green, and on landing its into the slight upslope which slows the ball quickly. For the chip over, the best miss is to finish left of the hole, eg, below it.

In heading left for your 2nd shot, it takes out all the danger of overshooting the green …. or in leaving yourself with a nasty downhill chip to a green that runs quickly away from you, that you are never going to be able to stop the ball close on.

4th hole 2nd shot. You’re generally hitting off an uphill sloping lie, and really, the only priority here, is just to get it up and onto the flat section so that you have a clear shot into the green. I play for 100m out from wherever I finish after my drive (so level with the Cypress tree on the left hand side) so sometimes its just a mid iron or less for me to get safely on it, and I don’t have to risk hitting a longer club.

You can’t go left on that 2nd shot or you fall off the ledge, and you can’t go too far right either, as the overhanging trees will tend to block out your 3rd shot, so you just need to position yourself on the plateau correctly. Possibly consider using any club that will leave you with an open shot to the green from a flat lie, (the shortest club you can hit with your 2nd shot the better I reckon).

7th hole uphill approach shot …... club up.

Always go for the back of green distance (if you have a GPS or rangefinder), If there is any wind into you, then you also can add another half a club. You can also try and use a low punch shot on this one, landing it just short so that it runs up and on. The steep rise at the back of the green will generally feed the ball back down, (unless you really smash it).

9th Hole ….... left side is good (even at times when you go into the trees, as often you get a good line back to the green when your less than a hunge out with your drive.

It is also a more straight uphill shot from the left hand side, so the ball stops quicker once its on the green. Right side and you run the risk of the overhanging stuff, and also in going over the left edge of the green on landing it. So anywhere middle left in the fairway is perfect, as you found.

From 80m out you want to hit a high soft landing one, but you do need to make sure you get it all the way there. It’s uphill and generally plays into the wind, (so it can add more than a few metres to your shot) ....... so PW was probably the right club choice to hit.

Just a few things to ponder ….

http://www.golflink.com.au/...
2012 Rotary Ambrose Champions “All Star Team” Member.
LD Wins – Growling Bog, Waterford Valley, Bendigo.
Bacchus Marsh 27 Hole Event winner 2013.
FRANK’S COACH.

Thanks mate I appreciate that, had this open while I was playing tonight and using the tips. Some came in handy, some I just didn't play well enough to be able to use it. Par 3 I hit on top of that hill and it rolled down onto the green and I got par. Par 5 hole 4 I hit a beautiful straight drive and pulled the 2nd shot down that hill exactly like you said not to. Was perfect distance out too. I played 18, played some really nice golf at times, but still plenty of inconsistencies. I did not miss a fairway until the last 2 holes. Sliced them too when I thought it was gone but still some good signs. I was hitting most drives with a slight fade which came in handy, but most were straight and on fairway. Hardly sliced. In summary atm, Driver - Improved dramatically so far, don't want to get ahead of myself but definitely on the right track. Fairway woods to 5 iron - Struggle with these, slice them a bit or hit too fat. 6 to pitching wedge - Really comfortable with these atm, nice easy swing and hit them well, only thing I struggle on is judging distance or where I aim. Short pitching and putting - Really need to work on this aspect, putting is average at best atm, and short pitching I really suck at. From distance when I can swing through it, fantastic, short little dinky ones suck massive, hit them too thin or under too much. Overall shot another 94, definitely improvement on the 100+ I was shooting when I played my first games. for over a year about a month ago Btw I didn't happen to cross you when you may have been on the first and I was on the 9th? I remember being told you were a lefty who will most likely have a *** in his hand. I saw both when I was on the 9th..

#22 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

Was hoping to play at Moonah tomorrow with the old man, looks like I'm working instead.. Shattering.. Double time though..

#23 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18496 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Special, It probably was me ... ( I've got a white Mizuno bag, in addition to the usual dart) Just back onto that 2nd shot on the 4th. Assuming you are a right hander, you'll be playing the shot with the ball somwhere above your feet most times .... and this will have the tendency to push your shot leftward (without you trying to hit a draw). The prevailing wind if any, often comes from that direction as well . so the chances are that you will go more leftward than you desire. What I do (being a lefty, but the same target should apply) is to aim up the right hand side at one of the trees up on the flat section. Then, with a square clubface, I will try to hit it right at it. The ball starts off on line, and then will fade due to the sloping lie (eg ball below my feet) ........ to finish back in the middle. With your shot, you can pick out a tree up on the right, fire right at it, and the ball "should" draw back to the middle without you having to try and draw it yourself ....... due to the "ball above the feet lie". It's a shot that takes a bit of confidence (in hitting it right at the trees), but next time you're in that spot on course, in practice mode ...... drop some balls down, and hit a few from that location aiming over at the treeline, and see what happens to them. If you play for, and then hit a straight one, it should start to curl leftward to you and finish up safely in the fairway, and not too far left over the edge. (as what should happen if you aimed right up the middle from that sloping lie) Hope this helps ........ cause it's a real bummer trying to GIR from down the side of that ledge I reckon.

#24 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18496 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

One word of caution though, there are a couple of small spots in that area that are flat . so before you aim right, check that the ball is indeed above your feet. The more "above the feet" slope ..... the more your ball should curve left, the less slope, the straighter the shot ...... so try to aim accordingly. It will be a bit of trial and error until you get a good feel for it ........... but it will save you a hell of a lot of potential trouble if you understand the effects the lie is going to have on your ball flight, particularly on a course like Beacy.

#25 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:43 AM

If you were the guy I said g'day to and were playing a yellow ball then it was you, if not coincidence!! Appreciate the insight, I did have the lie you described and find it difficult to get good contact on that sort of lie, have to practice it more. Problem with my game is I hit some sweet shots but still have the real shocker per hole or every 2nd hole that stuffs everything up because I end up in a **** position. I have to eliminate that from my game. It's getting there but need more practice. I think atm shooting mid 90's is good for me and am positive I can get it lower with more practice.

#26 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31890 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

Sounds like you are on track. Stick with the practice and the lessons and you'll get down to the 80's.

#27 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

Sounds like you are on track. Stick with the practice and the lessons and you’ll get down to the 80’s.

9/10/12 – Hole In One – 7th Hole Portsea GC
2012 (Official) Winner of Inaugural ISG Nat. Champs.
2011 Inaugural winner Vict. Order of Merit Putting Champion – Long Island

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

Thanks mate! Think consistency from my long game will just come with more practice and eliminating that slice.. But I really need to learn how to chip and put, short game is pathetic! Will look to address that in the next couple lessons when the pro is comfortable my full swing is worked out.

#28 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31890 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Keep an eye on GPJ's thread (journey). He usually gets down to Beacy' most afternoons, during the week and I might head up there next week to have a 9 with him. We usually have a little chipping 'challenge' after the 9, on the practice green. That really hones your skills........if you can get down there and join us, we can watch your form.

#29 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Will do! cheers mate!

#30 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:16 AM

Played 9 tonight with a mate. Actually played 12 but was just a hit and giggle last 3.. Played some great golf at times but some terrible at others. Short chipping and putting is still big issue. Striking the ball ok. Sliced one driver tonight, faded a couple, hit the other straight or pulled left.. It's getting there, need to keep practicing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users