59 replies to this topic

#1 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hi guys, new around here and thought I'd start a thread to document my journey, know there's plenty of threads like this but could be for my own use more than anything but would love input and people sharing similar experiences also. Short of the story is I am 23, played golf since about 15 but only ever 2 or 3 times a year, maybe 5 or 6 on a good year. And completely self taught with my Dad often attempting to give me advice but mostly ignore it because I'm stubborn that way. Anyway this year I played my first game for over a year and got the bug back. Got new clubs, have had a bit of spare time and trying to really work hard on improving and lower my scores. Probably the reason I never got fully into it and invested in time playing and new clubs is because my score was always around 100, but I realised it's near impossible to improve without playing regularly so here I am now. In the space of about a month I have played about 7 times and range a few times and have gone from the first game being 107 to the last 93 and the best in that time a 92 but also a couple others close to 100. So I am inconsistent. I slice the ball hard off the driver, have been trying so hard myself to correct it but realised I need help so had a lesson and booked in for more. Changed my grip, little bit of swing path, routine etc but gave me a better understanding of what goes into a swing and why we do things the way we do. Next lesson will be spent on really correcting that slice. So far I am more consistent with the irons especially but still slice probably every 2nd one of the driver and even the good ones still cut or fade right. So really want to get that out of my game and then I feel from there I will only get better with practice. First aim is to score below a 90, on a decent course. I played on Montuna the other day and could have broken it easily but I exploded the last 5 holes but that is quite a short relatively easy course. Mostly play at Beaconhills, not a lot of other great ones (or affordable) in the area. Turhatuan isn't great. Anyone played at church hill? I would be keen to sign up somewhere but I'm not that well set financially atm. Beaconhills have special offer $1047 for 12 months 7 day atm so looking at that but I worry I wouldn't use it as much if I don't have mates to play with which I don't have a lot who play regularly or aren't committed with other interests.. Anyway next lesson on Saturday, hoping to get that slice out of my game and get going with some good scores. I'll post my results and how I'm going. Sorry for the essay :)

#2 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31907 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

G'day Special', and welcome to ISG. You sound like you live out our way as GPJ (check his thread in this topic) and Wasabipea are members at Beacon Hills. I have a hit with GPJ from time to time, but you'll find him up there most week nights, after work either playing a quiet practice 9 or at the practice green honing his chipping and putting. Montuna and Beaconhills are good local courses to play while you are working on your game. There's also Pakenham public and Churchill Park. I have a mate who's a member there and I get over there on occasions. I'm not sure of the cost for membership but my mate is only a 6 day member and plays during the week. Stick with the lessons and work on the course or at the range and it will come. I'm heading to Berwick Driving range in the morning to work on some things before our Order Of Merit game at Heidelberg this Sunday. You are more than welcome to join us when you want to come and meet some of us from Vic ISG.

#3 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18496 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hey Special, As Frank said, I'm up at Beacy most afternoons (get there just after 3) if you ever want to have a hit together. I usually just have a practice 9 most days during the week, and then play comp on Sunday's.... If you ever want a hit together, just let me know via my journey thread.... or you can catch me wandering into the pro shop just after 3... (I'm heading up there this afternoon by the way) You should also check out the Order Of Merit game threads and join in the next one, as new players are always welcome. Looking forward to reading about your journey. Regards, Gary

#4 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:27 AM

Welcome special. You'll find alot of helpful members on isg. We're all in this never ending quest for better golf. I just recently discovered a tip to help break 90. http://www.willowgol...03/breaking-90/ By the sound of things you're fortunate enough to be close to the actual author. Bit far for me in North Queensland. Enjoy the journey.

#5 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

Cheers guys! Really enjoying reading through this forum atm for this reason as everyone is so friendly and genuinely interested in others progress and results. Fantastic! Pretty confident I can get my scores down as I am generally a natural sportsman and if I can fix this slice I know I can build on my game with some more consistency.. Long road a head though.. As being only 23, and not earning a huge amount atm, picking a course for membership is tricky. I obviously want a good place and enjoy it, but somewhere cheapish as well which I guess can be hard to find that middle ground. My dad is a member at Waverly and I think its $1300 for under 25s and it's a good course. But I always viewed it as too uptight for me as I'm quite relaxed although I do want to improve my game (but maybe I have to become more that way to be more serious about my golf) and my mates never go there. Beaconhills still the best option for me but do most guys who sign up sign up by themselves and play with random other members or generally sign up with friends? All the feedback is very appreciated, think I'll head to the range in the morning before work to work on that slice before my lesson on Saturday.

#6 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

Welcome special. You’ll find alot of helpful members on isg. We’re all in this never ending quest for better golf. I just recently discovered a tip to help break 90.

http://www.willowgolf.com.a...

By the sound of things you’re fortunate enough to be close to the actual author. Bit far for me in North Queensland.

Enjoy the journey.

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

VTTP #534
The “unofficial” millionth POST poster
Thanks AB. Reading that article, it all seems very simple when broken down like that. I definitely need to think more about what I am actually doing when out on the course and broken down like that it's definitely achievable.

#7 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

Played 9 at beaconhills tonight.. was pretty bad.. 51. Slice was in full flight and short game was no good. Realised when I went into my bag that I must have left my Sand Wedge on the course last time I played and wasn't handed into the pro shop, pretty annoyed at myself. How much would that club cost by itself? One thing I'm also doing since my swing and set us has been tinkered with a bit is I'm taking big divets and well before the ball too, ruining a lot of shots. Oh well, lesson tomorrow!

#8 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

Drummond has a special on Callaway wedges. I think they're $65 new. While learning don't beat yourself up. 51 isn't that bad when your goal is to break 90. Swing changes take time.

#9 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • 31907 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

You might have walked past GPJ tonight, Special. I'm not sure if he went down after work? Keep an eye out for a left handed bloke with a coffee, a *** and left handed clubs.

#10 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

You might have walked past GPJ tonight, Special. I’m not sure if he went down after work? Keep an eye out for a left handed bloke with a coffee, a *** and left handed clubs.

9/10/12 – Hole In One – 7th Hole Portsea GC
2012 (Official) Winner of Inaugural ISG Nat. Champs.
2011 Inaugural winner Vict. Order of Merit Putting Champion – Long Island

Will do! Think I remember seeing a guy with a *** waiting to hit off on the first tee when I got there, around 3:20ish. Didn't see if it was a left hander though...

#11 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3740 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

Special, don't worry about joining a club by yourself - you will meet people to play with in no time at all. A year or so ago I joined a club that I didn't know anyone at and now I have heaps of people to play with.

#12 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

Drummond has a special on Callaway wedges. I think they’re $65 new.
While learning don’t beat yourself up.
51 isn’t that bad when your goal is to break 90. Swing changes take time.

VTTP #534
The “unofficial” millionth POST poster
Thanks mate, mine are Taylor Made so will try stick with the same set by sounds of it I've cost myself a few unnecessary dollars.. Not the first time I've done it too but other times I had the luxury of noticing on course and going back.. Mate left me his clubs while he's in england for 5 months so will use his SW until he gets back I think. I know it's not that bad but struck it so much better the other night and then feels like all progress is lost on a night like tonight, but understand that's golf and takes time. Played with a mate tonight who I always play horrible with and he plays just as bad. I think it's because we are too sociable together and don't focus as much..

#13 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

Special, don’t worry about joining a club by yourself – you will meet people to play with in no time at all. A year or so ago I joined a club that I didn’t know anyone at and now I have heaps of people to play with.

What puts me off it, and is probably the wrong way to look at it, is that I am younger than most members you would find at a golf club. That comment is more an assumption without actually knowing though. And in that I've always been a lot more relaxed about my golf, always had this idea built up in my head that golf courses were full of uptight, angry old blokes or good golfers comparing handicaps and looking down on the lesser handicappers. I know that is 100% not the case though and hope no one is offended just what was built up in my head for years that put me off memberships.

#14 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • 31907 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

Special, don’t worry about joining a club by yourself – you will meet people to play with in no time at all. A year or so ago I joined a club that I didn’t know anyone at and now I have heaps of people to play with.

Yep.......all her 50 odd Vics from ISG as well.......

#15 Special07

Special07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Lesson yesterday, still pretty basic going through set up, grip, swing path etc. Was in doors had the technology set up so I was hitting balls and was showing the stats on club face, swing path etc and trajectory of the ball. anyone know how accurate that stuff is? Every ball I hit on there was either a pull or dead straight. Stats showed club path and club face was more indicating I would hit a straight one or a pull like it showed rather than a slice. I really wanted to slice the ball so we could address the issue but he said the adjustments we made were negating that. So then to the range after and the slice reers its ugly head. Not quite as bad or big but still fades far enough to see me in the trees more than I would want. Did hit more the other way as well though. But still don't know what to do about it.. I guess just keep practicing what I'm being taught and see if it improves..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users