#31 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10402 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:31 AM

Interesting stratagy mate. I reckon it could work. You just have to hit the fairway, coz you hit the hybrid a bloody mile

#32 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33058 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:58 AM

Thanks bud, hoping when I am in game mode, I can sort my alignment out... How's the grip?
  • Stinkler likes this

#33 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10402 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Dunno. Will find out on Sunday!

#34 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • 33058 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Ended being an awesome day, albeit my score didn’t reflect that.. Had the pleasure to walk around with Deege, Kiwi and Rob. Deege was nailing those tee shots, Kiwi was being himself and probably got +80% GIR and Rob was solid all round. Started off from the 9th, Hybrid faded into trees, hit an awesome recovery that was then 80m short of the pin. This now comes to my downfall on the day, pitching and iron play, tentative and didn’t commit ended up duffing that… Managed to get around a few holes with decent scoring, but my iron play was very inconsistent…more bad than good. I felt very uncomfortable when hitting my irons, which is an unusual feeling for me, as this is one part of my game that I have some confidence in. I was beginning to hook my tee shots with the hybrids as well and was having less confidence in my irons, so… 14th hole, and I took the Driver out, creamed it down the middle and passed the long drive tags for Grades A & C, only to be blitzed by Deege’s awesome drive. Again iron play was not good and very tentative and not committing but ended with a 3 pointer. 15th, Went back to the Hybrid of the tee and wiped the hole with a hook into the trees. 16th, Opted for the driver off the tee and creamed that for a 3 pointer, with irons still inconsistent. Holes 1-8, I went driver off tee except for the par 3’s and hole 4 using the hybrid and hooking that into the trees. Not a good scoring golf day out but with some positives… Cored greens, I am pleased with how I handled that. Using the adjusted chipping technique worked well. Approach shots, more bad than good, I didn’t commit to the shot and was hesitant…resorted to punch and bump and runs as an alternative on holes. Iron play, went max 7i from the fairways and just didn’t maintain a good swing thought over the ball (set wrist, pause at the top and hit middle) Not one of those crossed my mind when I played my irons…Seemed I went into a brain dead automatic mode and tried to hit the ball instead of swing the club.. Tee offs, wasn’t hitting the fways with the Hybrids and went for the Driver which hit almost every correct fway. Reflection: Morning warm-up was not ideal…I treated it as just that, a body warm up…No swing thoughts, without mock playing the first 3 holes…it was a mindless body exercise that didn’t engage my brain. 1 bad pitch shot, shook my iron play confidence…c'mon I should know better I have plenty more options off the tee, irons, hybrid, woods and driver…I shouldn’t disregard other areas that I think I have a handle on and practise those equally as hard. I have an increased confidence in my Driver. I will improve :)
  • Stinkler likes this

#35 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3887 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

Inkosi, your tee shots, bar a few miscues were pretty good for most of the day. More importantly, your driver wasn't any worse than your hybrids and certainly longer, so you weren't gaining any accuracy by leaving it in the bag. Swing it with confidence.

#36 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8919 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

Be a man. Use big dog!!!!

#37 Goldy

Goldy

Got any Greek in you?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35803 posts
  • LocationWant some?

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

Ghetto train – get on it.
Bandit express.

Winner C grade OOM #3 Patterson River.

Wow. Mental note to self.....no partying with the moose.

#38 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • 33058 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Bandit express.

Be smart....Learn to PUTT!!!
  • Stinkler likes this

#39 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18909 posts
  • LocationReclinng in The Bahamas ... in my mind.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

Having gone over your most recent round’s details with a fine toothed comb (which I borrowed from Godly …. who has no use for them these days) .......... your sole issue stands out like the proverbial “Canine Spheroids”, Inkosi.

Out of 18 possible “tee” occasions, you used your Driver on only one of them (the 18th) ....... all the rest were either limp wristed fairway woods, gaybrids, or worse ….. irons.

And therein lies the root of all your troubles …..

You go and hit a big jessie fairway wood off the tee, and you then have to hit another big jessie gaybrid just to get anywhere close to the green.

Were you to man up instead …..... and take Driver off the tee, you could just follow it up with a manly long iron at most, to the green.

You wrote that you hit your 4W fat a couple of times off the tee. Hit your Driver fat in the same way, and you would still be a lot closer to the hole.

On the 13th par 3 …...... you hit 9 iron and came up short by 30m. You wouldn’t have been short hitting Driver ….... even if you did hit it fat.

The 8th par 3, and you hit 7 iron very fat and then had to hit PW to get to the green. What if you’d taken Driver instead of a 7 iron?

You see my point obviously …..... (by the way, I won’t charge you for this gem of wisdom.)

Perhaps you should say g’day when we play at The Berg, and I’ll formally introduce you to “the longest club in your bag” ...... soon to be become known as your “new best mate”.

Single figures awaits you Inkosi, it’s yours for the taking!!

http://www.golflink.com.au/...
2012 Rotary Ambrose Champions “All Star Team” Member.
LD Wins – Growling Bog, Waterford Valley, Bendigo.
Bacchus Marsh 27 Hole Event winner 2013.
FRANK’S COACH.

Kinesh .......... I hate to be the one to say I told you so......... but ........ I TOLD YOU SO!!..... I don't know, I cast my pearls out before you guys, and some of you treat them with scorn until, in complete and utter desperation .... you finally realise hey, he might just have been onto something. I don't know why I bother sometimes ............ but nevertheless, ........... here's one more for you to ponder. When your iron swing is just not working on the day Kinesh, and you are spraying them all over the shop ...... force yourself into taking two more clubs than you'll need, and then shorten your swing accordingly. Hit a couple of slow, smooth, controlled shots with 3/4 swings, and you will quickly feel your swing smooth out. Then after a couple of those, go back to a normal swing length and iron choice, and you'll probably find you hit them much better, cause you're no longer trying to belt them or steer them, and that will give you your control back .......... By the way, its no use getting to the end of our rounds and thinking hey, I hit my irons like crap all day ..... it's way too late then. We need to monitor our game as and when its happening, so that we can change tactics quickly if something's clearly not working on any given day ... so keep on checking how you are hitting them throughout the round (that's good stuff that you're doing). End of rant ....... and invoice in the mail buddy :-)

#40 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18909 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

Iron play, went max 7i from the fairways and just didn’t maintain a good swing thought over the ball (set wrist, pause at the top and hit middle) Not one of those crossed my mind when I played my irons…Seemed I went into a brain dead automatic mode and tried to hit the ball instead of swing the club

The Big Queasy
A two-foot putt counts the same as a two-foot drive.

One more thought ..... and there's nothing wrong with "brain dead automatic mode" ... that's how, and when, I play my best golf. You must have a bloody slow golf swing if during it, you can expect to think of ........."setting your wrist" .... "pausing at the top" and finally "hitting the middle". The only thought I reckon you should have when swinging the club, (if any) ...... is of "the target". We have enough to do in just swinging the club without cluttering up the mind with all sorts of instructions and "checkpoints" along the way, as we're trying to perform a smooth and flowing golf swing. "Thoughts" are for the driving range I reckon, and not the golf course when we're hitting shots. Do all of your mental work, then have a practice swing and feel the shot your about to play ......... then switch off mentally, and just swing the club I reckon.

#41 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • 33058 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

Thanks Gaz, Your words are never lost on me bud.. Since I resumed playing in the past year, my driver has been all over the place. It has recently been repaired and reshafted and since then I seem to be hitting it reasonably better. Do note that prior to the repair, I was under coaches instruction to first seek accuracy which I achieved with my hybrid. I know have the added option off the tee which I will use to my advantage. Iron play, I like the suggestion and great advice…I will definitely keep that in the memory back for any such occurrence. A drink on me the next time out…
  • Stinkler likes this

#42 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18909 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

Iron play, I like the suggestion and great advice…I will definitely keep that in the memory back for any such occurrence.
A drink on me the next time out…

The Big Queasy

Kinesh, I'll just be happy for you to go out and get 40 plus points next time you tee it up ....... keep hitting them smoothly buddy and working your game plan, and like most on here, good things will happen for you.

#43 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8919 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

Bandit express.

Be smart….Learn to PUTT!!!

The Big Queasy

Impossible!!!!!!!! Gaz is usually right and like reading his stuff to broaden my horizon. Only thing is my brain is like a sieve and everything leaks trough with like 1% retention!

#44 ink

ink

Power in (p)ink

• Members
  • 33058 posts
  • Location#keepfighting

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:49 AM

Bandit express.

Be smart….Learn to PUTT!!!

The Big Queasy

Impossible!!!!!!!!
Gaz is usually right and like reading his stuff to broaden my horizon. Only thing is my brain is like a sieve and everything leaks trough with like 1% retention!

Bandit express.

I think 1% retention for you will be a 100% improvement :) Don't I know it, I couldn't get out of my iron rut on the day...felt like a total zombie over the ball...
  • Stinkler likes this

#45 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18909 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

The first thing, I think, we need to do ............. Is to monitor how were are going during the round. I'm not talking about "oh look, I've just gone and scored 1 point on each of the last four holes" ....... but something systematic that alerts us immediately to our errors. For example ......... in your set up for an iron shot, take note of the ball position, and clubface alignment. then just have your swing and if you stuff it up, take note of where it goes ........ then from your finish position, look down. If you sprayed it right ....... did your body's centre get ahead of the ball at impact? Check your divot, which way does it point? Did you make square contact with the ground or is it pointing across the line etc. Is one side of the divot deeper than the other ...... What did the swing itself feel like, did you hit down enough (mid and short irons) or sweep through the ball properly (long irons) Try to find the cause there and then, and determine what you need to do, in order to address and rectify it on the very next iron shot you play. Same thing with driver, clubface alignment, ball position .... what did your swing feel like, was it too far inside to out, did your hands flip, did you come OTT, did you get your weight thru correctly, etc, etc. By looking at the result (where is that little fecker) ........ and then working out what you did wrong while it's still fresh in your mind, you can begin to fix the issue on the very next swing ........ and not let half a round slip by undetected. This by the way, doesn't mean you stand frozen to the spot for half an hour after each shot, and write copious amounts on a whiteboard ......... it only takes a short interval of say 10 seconds, as you think about your swing and look at your body position, then your divot. If you do this after each and every shot, you'll soon be able to feel exactly what you did wrong, and then once you have that feel, you won't even have to look up, to know where the ball went. You will also over time know exactly what fix you need to put in place to resolve a whole host of issues, thereby being able to get back on track much quicker. Just a thought or two ..........
  • Stinkler likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users