Teetime Specials

• Devilbend Golf Club - Thu & Fri $35 incl cart!!
    For only $35pp 18holes incl cart. Book quick for this great deal!!
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $49 (Save 44%) (WAS $89.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart
  • Trafalgar Golf Club - $25 (Save 0%) (WAS $25.0)
    18 Holes Walking $40 for cart hire at the club
  • Phillip Island Golf Club - $38 (Save 0%) (WAS $38.0)
    18 Holes Walking
  • Drouin Golf
    18 Holes Walking
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
Photo

Club length irons

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Stinkler

Stinkler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:50 AM

Ok, can people explain to me why some have the length of iron plus 1 or more inches? What are the benefits, or reasons why someone should not play 'standard' length? I'm a little confused as it's hardly like fitting a shoe, as a shoe is too big or small. Iron length seems tied to theory rather than an actual fit. After all 'standard' is just an arbitrary man made length! Please explain your theories oh club fitters.

#2 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14366 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Queensland

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:32 AM

Club fitters need to make a living too!

#3 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4602 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:33 AM

Ill venture a response. It's a standard but it isn't. There are understood industry norms, but not a policed standard. Each manufacturer has slightly different specs so when you get measured, its relative to your set. You can only adjust loft and lie so much to cater for flatter/steeper swings. Someone may need a 7deg flatter lie to adjust for short arse syndrome and flat swing so cutting the shaft length would mean a less radical lie change. Some goes for + lie changes, lengthen the shaft and you won't have to adjust the lie so much. Could be completely off base though?

#4 benno_r

benno_r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationMaryborough, QLD

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:44 AM

Mine are plus one because my arms are short and I am 6"3' tall. Also play at 2deg upright so I don't have to stoop over too much.

#5 Stinkler

Stinkler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:10 AM

Mine are plus one because my arms are short and I am 6”3’ tall. Also play at 2deg upright so I don’t have to stoop over too much.

Why not just have the ball closer? Why have longer clubs? Does the club have to be at a certain angle? What's the best angle? What's the best distance from ball? Get what I mean? If you can still hit your 9i well, why is it your 9i is as long as Ghettos 6i?

#6 Stinkler

Stinkler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:13 AM

Also, can you change your swing to the club more rather than change the club? Can you learn to hit a club set up flat, is it also what you're used to?

#7 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:19 AM

So people say length is more important to your swing. I agree that all lengths seem to be able to get it in the hole. Does ones length change the amount of strokes. Can you get it into the hole better with longer shafts? I find my length gets me there just fine :)

#8 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

In simplistic terms Stink they measure the distance your hands are from the ground when taking your stance. If you tilt more at the hips, shorter clubs, less tilt longer clubs. A very tall golfer with extreme tilt could play standard length clubs but it would likely be an unnatural position and vice versa a shorter player that has almost no tilt could play longer clubs. The aim is obviously to have the sole of the club square on the ground. If your clubs are too long for your stance the club sole will have to be toe up and you will have to stand further from the ball and obviously vice versa. Hope that makes sense, if your clubs don't fit you will have to make compromises which most amateurs with off the rack purchases do.

#9 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10757 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

Mine are longer because my previous set were longer and I'm used to using longer clubs.

#10 2Putts

2Putts

Rescue User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts
  • LocationShlarba

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

Solve all the issues by having them all the same length and lie, and just change the lofts. I know; already been done : )

#11 benno_r

benno_r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationMaryborough, QLD

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Why not just have the ball closer? Why have longer clubs? Does the club have to be at a certain angle? What’s the best angle? What’s the best distance from ball?

Get what I mean? If you can still hit your 9i well, why is it your 9i is as long as Ghettos 6i?

Because if my 6i was as short as his, I'd have to play my wedges on my knees to be able to reach them. Cheers, Ben

#12 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14366 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

Solve all the issues by having them all the same length and lie, and just change the lofts.

I know; already been done : )

Nine out of ten people believe that out of ten people, one person will always disagree with the other nine!

And nobody played them, so there's something about it!

#13 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14366 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

I'm thinking that golf is a power game. So you would choose the longest shafts you could play with, all things being equal... ... but all things are not equal. With a wedge power is less important than accuracy so you go shorter with the shaft. With the long irons though it's about getting it to the green so you go longer. As for why you change length for different golfers I expect that over the centuries it's been worked out that there is a range within which people swing better - not too vertical, not too bent over. So you adjust the clubs to suit. Doesn't mean there aren't tall people who play shorter shafts and shorter playing longer, just because that works better for them.

#14 2Putts

2Putts

Rescue User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts
  • LocationShlarba

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

Solve all the issues by having them all the same length and lie, and just change the lofts.

I know; already been done : )

Nine out of ten people believe that out of ten people, one person will always disagree with the other nine!

And nobody played them, so there’s something about it!

Golflink 4161100078 – 11/3/2013 17.6 – 2013 target single figures
Inaugural Official Handicapper and Treasurer of the SEQ Golf Guys

Yep apparently they're rubbish : ) I remember reading somewhere that they're very bunched distance wise and not very good for distance control with the more lofted irons? They did make me think about the relationship between length of shaft and the lie of the club. I came to the conclusion that for me I could use just about any length of shaft as long as the lies were adjusted appropriately.

#15 Stinkler

Stinkler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Why not just have the ball closer? Why have longer clubs? Does the club have to be at a certain angle? What’s the best angle? What’s the best distance from ball?

Get what I mean? If you can still hit your 9i well, why is it your 9i is as long as Ghettos 6i?

Because if my 6i was as short as his, I’d have to play my wedges on my knees to be able to reach them.

Cheers,
Ben

Your legs are only 1 inch long from the knees down? But you're 6ft 3? With short arms! Man, you must be one strange looking dude!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users