116 replies to this topic

#1 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Im lucky enough through our pennant squad that we have full access and coaching through our trackman lab at sandhurst. It was the first time yesterday that I have been on it, I was very impressed with this technology.... I shall be working with it over the next few weeks and will post my results?

#2 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2471 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:20 PM

What was your path? What was your face to path? Angle of attack?

#3 2manybogeys

2manybogeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Look forward to hearing about how it all goes. I think this will become an interesting thread.

#4 RobNewy

RobNewy

Fight the Fight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4587 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:26 PM

Definantly Hack. Sounds great

#5 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

ok, so the numbers were not great.... out to in path and open face, thus the reason for a handsy compensation to square the face through impact.... lower body stalls just prior to impact, arms/hands keep moving, gives me the "holding off" through the ball.. no good... so now, im into -.5 degree plane and 1 degree open, angle from -7.8 into 1 degree. I am still struggling to rotate and release, and the feeling of from the inside to out is very foreign.... but the results are ok so far, certainly distance is back off the tee, but im either stalling and leaving it high right or flipping it low hard left, 1 in 5 is spot on.... its not about getting the minds and body used to where it "should" be this trackman, coupled with a good coach is an awesome tool.... you need to have a good understanding of path, face angle and angle into the ball and how to change it to see the results though...

#6 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

Been doing I bit of work on it myself. Realy interesting stuff and some of the data realy challenges what I was taught in golf coaching school. Great to learn new stuff.

#7 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:42 AM

Been doing I bit of work on it myself. Realy interesting stuff and some of the data realy challenges what I was taught in golf coaching school. Great to learn new stuff.

agreed.... its very interesting.....and it makes sense...... the high def cameras combined etc, make a word of difference with a great coach driving it

#8 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

what i also found interesting is how the body constantly tries to counter the path v's face angle like the negative path angle v's the positive face angle, is the body's way of trying to square up the face... pretty amazing stuff...

#9 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

The link to the website is below, its a free registration that gets you into all the videos. MyTrackman

#10 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

These questions might start the ball rolling.... Questions 1 What’s more important in determining a ball’s starting direction – Club Path or Face Angle? Question 2 Swing plane direction should be the same for all clubs in the bag. True or false? Question 3 If path and face are square, the ball will always go straight. True or false? Question 4 If face is closed to the target at impact, the ball will always curve left. True or false? Question 5 Ball flight never lies: true or false? Question 6 Whats the average angle of attack for Driver on the PGA Tour? Question 7 Is it possible to determine the path of your club from watching your swing on video? Question 8 There are multiple ways to launch the ball so that it travels in a straight line to the target: true or false? Question 9 Does hitting down on the ball actually create more backspin?

#11 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

Example of a Trackman lesson

#12 bushy007

bushy007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

I have been working on a Flightscope but it's the same principles. I found THIS video to explain the premise very well. I'm actually hearing of more and more coaches going to a launch monitor based coaching system. Technology is awesome.

#13 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5186 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

These questions might start the ball rolling….

Questions 1
What’s more important in determining a ball’s starting direction – Club Path or Face Angle?

Question 2
Swing plane direction should be the same for all clubs in the bag. True or false?

Question 3
If path and face are square, the ball will always go straight. True or false?

Question 4
If face is closed to the target at impact, the ball will always curve left. True or false?

Question 5
Ball flight never lies: true or false?

Question 6
Whats the average angle of attack for Driver on the PGA Tour?

Question 7
Is it possible to determine the path of your club from watching your swing on video?

Question 8
There are multiple ways to launch the ball so that it travels in a straight line to the target: true or false?

Question 9
Does hitting down on the ball actually create more backspin?

Considering you went through the trouble of typing up some questions, I will hazard a guess at answering them. 1. Face angle 2. Direction yes 3. yes 4. False - face angle determines initial starting angle 5. Too a degree yes, 6. Dont know the exact figures but remember reading a positive AOA - right after the club bottoms out. 7. yes 8. Yes - low, mid high trajectory by manipulating dynamic loft at impact No - Physics governing ball direction and spin will mean that both club face and swing path must be square in order for a straight flight. 9. yes - remembering one of Zen's zany posts about negative angle of attack, spin loft and ****.

#14 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

Pretty good answers Ghetto. This could be a long thread as the Trackman is creating some new information for us to ponder. Lets tackle #1 first... Yes, you are right. In general, Face Angle has four times greater impact than Club Path in determining the ball’s starting direction. The next time you miss your target right or left, go to face angle first. DRIVER: 85% Face / 15% Path IRONS: 75% Face / 25% Path Note: The majority of the old pro's were taught the old ball flight laws which taught that the starting direction was created by the path of the club. Looks like the face angle rules the show.

#15 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

keep going headpro.... im reading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users