Teetime Specials

• Devilbend Golf Club - Thu & Fri $35 incl cart!!
    For only $35pp 18holes incl cart. Book quick for this great deal!!
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlets Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $49 (Save 44%) (WAS $89.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart
  • Trafalgar Golf Club - $25 (Save 0%) (WAS $25.0)
    18 Holes Walking $40 for cart hire at the club
  • Phillip Island Golf Club - $38 (Save 0%) (WAS $38.0)
    18 Holes Walking
  • Drouin Golf
    18 Holes Walking
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlets Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
Photo

Golf in Sydney

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wal13

Wal13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

Hi all, I'll be in Sydney next weekend and keen to play a comp while there. Can any of the Sydney members or others who've played in Syd recommend a club. I'm staying in Petersham and travel by taxi so something closeish would be nice. Thanks in advance. Cheers

#2 TheCommish

TheCommish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7667 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

Wal, Open Saturday Comps could be a problem in the Metro Area, I'd say Sunday would be your best option, but then?? Petersham is close to,,,, well none really. You are probably looking at anywhere between a 20 min and 40 min ride to the closest courses (none of them are brilliant, maybe Moore Park or Strathfield, but they are the longer trips and that is depending upon traffic on the day. Comp spots fill pretty quickly at both I'm led to believe, maybe less so for Strathfield. You have others I suppose like Marrickville, Massey Park, Barnwell Park which are in the 20/25 min range but not exactly prime courses, although enjoyable I suppose.

#3 LowLife

LowLife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Marrackville is the closest to where you will be( i have not played), but if you were going to go as far as straithfield your better off bypassing there and going to Liverpool.

#4 wazandnic

wazandnic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

bypass Marrickville!!! Really depends on your calibre and when you want to play... If your looking for a decent club, from Petersham, maybe east is your best bet... You should get a spot in a comp at Eastlakes on a Sunday or even a Saturday from mid morning if you ring up on the day. Or for a better experience head out to St Michaels. Should be able to get a social time there on a Sat or Sun arvo without too much trouble. Mid week opens up a lot more options.

#5 TheCommish

TheCommish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7667 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

> I’m staying in Petersham and travel by taxi so something closeish would be nice. I think this bit will have a big bearing on things guys... Would become a rather expensive day playing at Eastlakes of St Micks, probably looking at minimum of $70 each way plus golf. Hence why I suggested the courses I did. Might be cheaper to get a train to Lidcombe and play Carnarvon, or Warwick Farm and play Liverpool, or Blacktown and play Stonecutters, or Wentworthville and play Cumberland. Train and cab opens up a whole lot of better course options.

#6 wazandnic

wazandnic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

Yeah fair point. Train / cab does open a lot more options. Bus maybe another option?? Am sure you could catch a bus from Petersham to Moore Park for a couple of bucks??

#7 Wal13

Wal13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for all the help on this one guys. I think there's a train not far from my bros place in Petersham so I will probably use that option with the cab I'm fairly new and not an accomplished golfer hittin off a 24 hc. Not that makes a huge difference to courses to play. I'm thinkin of trying to get 2 games in. One sat late morn/afternoon and the other early sun morn. I would be on I assume the outbound train frm Petersham so what are the courses listed above semi close to the outbound stops? Strathfield possibly but I'm not sure they allow visitors on weekends. Liverpool looks like its along way away. Also is Marrickville a proper 18 hole course? It looks like a lot of par 3s? What about Massey and Bramwell park? I think one only looks 9 holes? To be honest I just want to play a comp where I can get a card in to go toward getting my Hc down......hopefully! Thanks again though

#8 TheCommish

TheCommish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7667 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

If you want to get your Hcp down, then Royal Rosnay may be your best bet. It is at Auburn and about a $12-$15 cab ride from the Station. Not an overly hard course I think an ACR of 64. They have an Open Comp on Saturday and Sunday but I would be ringing tomorrow for best chance of getting a game. Phone # is 97491550. As for Sunday a few more options open up with better courses and all a good test of your golfing ability. Cumberland..Phone # 9631-3878. Catch a train to Pendle Hill and about the $10 - $12 cab fare. LIverpool. Phone # 9727-2422. Train to Carramar and cab fare of about $20 I would think. Cabramatta Phone # 9602 8383 Train to Cabramatta and cab fare of about $15 - $18 Massey Park Phone # 9743 3737 Train to Strathfield and cab fare of around the $20 mark as well. Massey is not in the same league as the above 3 but a pleasant little course. As with Rosnay, I would be ringing early for a slot, because I doubt there would be too many spots open for visitors. There are a few others if you really want to travel, like Leonay, Dunheved, Glenmore Heritage, all out Penrith way, Stonecutters Ridge at Colebee, Phone # 1800 667 626 (about 10- 12 mins from Blacktown Station and around the $20 + cab fare have an open Comp on Sundays. A real good track but don't expect to break your handicap. You'd be ecstatic to actually play to it. Comp fees are $40. Don't know the others fees..... sorry. Hope this helps a little.

#9 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10501 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for all the help on this one guys. I think there’s a train not far from my bros place in Petersham so I will probably use that option with the cab

I’m fairly new and not an accomplished golfer hittin off a 24 hc. Not that makes a huge difference to courses to play. I’m thinkin of trying to get 2 games in. One sat late morn/afternoon and the other early sun morn.

I would be on I assume the outbound train frm Petersham so what are the courses listed above semi close to the outbound stops? Strathfield possibly but I’m not sure they allow visitors on weekends. Liverpool looks like its along way away. Also is Marrickville a proper 18 hole course? It looks like a lot of par 3s? What about Massey and Bramwell park? I think one only looks 9 holes? To be honest I just want to play a comp where I can get a card in to go toward getting my Hc down…...hopefully!

Thanks again though

Not very helpful for this trip I know. But my advice for the next trip would be to get on here much earlier & try to arrange a game with a couple of the guys.. I have done it a couple of times in Sydney & had a great time. In Brisbane I have met enough I seekers that getting a hit at any time is now possible

#10 Wal13

Wal13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

Thanks so much Commish! That's a great help mate and I think I will sort my rnds from the options you recommended. Pom, I only yesterday found out I'd be down in Syd next weekend for work. So am working with what I have at the mo. Are you a Brisbane local? If so where do you play? I play as a visitor to Redcliffe or Wantima most Sundays. I always put my name down as a single and it would be good to get to know some Brisbane members. Thanks to all the other posters also. They've all been helpful. Now I just need the weather to be good next weekend! Cheers

#11 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10501 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

Wal check out the I seek golf days forum. You will find a group of guys there from the S E corner that put on regular days for I seekers. They are a good group of guys to play golf with. I am actually from Townsville & usually manage to get down to brissie once a year & have a couple of rounds. There are 3 or 4 I seekers that are also Members at Wantima & a couple from Redcliffe too. the same group is on Facebook called South East Qld golf guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users