Teetime Specials

• Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $49 (Save 44%) (WAS $89.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlets Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE
  • Trafalgar Golf Club - $25 (Save 0%) (WAS $25.0)
    18 Holes Walking $40 for cart hire at the club
  • Phillip Island Golf Club - $38 (Save 0%) (WAS $38.0)
    18 Holes Walking
  • Drouin Golf
    18 Holes Walking
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlets Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
Photo

Hitting into a Net - How to get the most out of it.....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tkkgale

tkkgale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

I would like to improve on my golf but I am time poor when I am home and facility poor (ie: a driving range) when I am away for work. I have purcharsed a decent net to take away to work with me and have the time and space available to use it, along with the desire to improve. Any advice from others who use a net as their primary practice ground would be welcome. What types of drills do you use, tools to measure your swing, how do you know if you're swinging well or not - apart from just "feeling it". Unless I have some sort of plan or ability to gauge how I'm going, just banging balls into a net seems relatively pointless. The ability to keep swinging a club each day will obviously help, but could easily lead to bad (or should I say worse....?) habits forming and and being ingrained pretty quickly. I have taken the step of booking lessons to get some direction on where i'm ok and where i'm not, but apart from using an app like V1, how do you check on how you're going, and whether you're actually improving yourself or not? Cheers Tim

#2 epamis

epamis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hi Tim, I just bought a Swingbyte which might be a useful aid for net sessions. Measures swing speed, attack angle, tempo, swing path, etc. Still haven't tried it out and dying to get to the range. Cheers, Michael

#3 tkkgale

tkkgale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Hey Michael, I bought a very similar thing called a Swingtip. Works along the same lines as a Swingbyte so hopefully it will give me some useful feedback on how I'm hitting. Cheers Tim

#4 FairwayBomber

FairwayBomber

Just one more putt...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

Perhaps it would be a good idea to go to a golf coach to look at your swing and suggest the drills. Prevents practising the wrong things. Alternatively, a post in the instruction section may be useful. If you prefer to work things out yourself, those instructional dvds (david leadbetter) may be your cup of tea...

#5 NAGA_MiCK™

NAGA_MiCK™

Favorite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5111 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

Johnny Miller, explained that he used to practice in his parents basement, hitting his irons into a sheet. He would listen to his club at impact and again for the sound of the ball hitting the sheet to determine if he had made a solid shot. Once back out playing he would then worry about adjusting his aim.

#6 tkkgale

tkkgale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Perhaps it would be a good idea to go to a golf coach to look at your swing and suggest the drills. Prevents practising the wrong things. Alternatively, a post in the instruction section may be useful.

If you prefer to work things out yourself, those instructional dvds (david leadbetter) may be your cup of tea…

Golf is all about the long game….

Thanks FB, I have a couple of lessons booked so I can get a better idea of where I go wrong and evn maybe do some things right.... I will be able to ask the instuctor for some direction for sure. Cheers Tim

#7 tkkgale

tkkgale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

Johnny Miller, explained that he used to practice in his parents basement, hitting his irons into a sheet. He would listen to his club at impact and again for the sound of the ball hitting the sheet to determine if he had made a solid shot. Once back out playing he would then worry about adjusting his aim.

Mick, I have had a few whacks and am not as worried about aim (apart from hitting the net of course!) as I am about making a good strike and getting good contact. Developing a better feel so to speak. Where the ball hits the net is a good indicator of direction, but obviously there's no way to gauge how much spin is on the ball. I have taken a bit of footage and the slo mo playback is pretty handy as well.I can roll thru and pause and compare and see where the ball hits into the net. Cheers Tim Tim

#8 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7307 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

I will only go into a shed if there is beer in that shed

#9 bushy007

bushy007

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1170 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

I would like to improve on my golf but I am time poor when I am home and facility poor (ie: a driving range) when I am away for work.
I have purcharsed a decent net to take away to work with me and have the time and space available to use it, along with the desire to improve.
Any advice from others who use a net as their primary practice ground would be welcome.
What types of drills do you use, tools to measure your swing, how do you know if you’re swinging well or not – apart from just “feeling it”.
Unless I have some sort of plan or ability to gauge how I’m going, just banging balls into a net seems relatively pointless. The ability to keep swinging a club each day will obviously help, but could easily lead to bad (or should I say worse….?) habits forming and and being ingrained pretty quickly.
I have taken the step of booking lessons to get some direction on where i’m ok and where i’m not, but apart from using an app like V1, how do you check on how you’re going, and whether you’re actually improving yourself or not?

Cheers

Tim

I have a net hanging from the roof of my garage that I use to check/practice my swing plane, weight shift and impact position. I have an impact bag there too to assist grooving the impact position. I used to have a problem swaying back on the backswing, getting too far behind the ball, as well as getting very flat at the top of the backswing, hitting in the net helps with those sort of things for me especially seeing as I can hit 100's of balls a night for free, but nothing compares to hitting the range or course. I agree that seeing someone to get you into the right direction is very important. The repetiton of hitting 100's balls with purpose coupled with the V1 software and having a good coach to see (semi)regularly will improve your impact immensely, at least thats what I think and it worked for me. I'm at the point now where I can feel where the ball will go depending on the impact. As long as your hard on yourself and not just blasting balls away you should see some improvement. I also hit chips and pitches into the net to groove my impact and hand position.. not as fun but it does help especially with irons from 9 up to even the 3 hybrid.

#10 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2839 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

I asked for a net for xmas to use purely at work, and only for chipping. I just dont want to hit full shots into a net. I want to work on keeping the hands ahead of the club face etc. Still in it's box :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users