22 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Discussion for Karrie makes it eight at Royal Pines.

#2 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3597 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

Good win by Webb. I was having some drinks there after the Saturday round. Webb was at the next table with her family, beer in hand & having some laughs. Nothing like the "sour puss" criticism she unfairly cops.

#3 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

I thought she was outstanding coming down the stretch. If you haven't seen the round and can manage to IQ it on foxtel, then do so. She really struggled on the front nine, the putts weren't dropping and you could see that she was frustrated knowing that she had a good couple of shots she needed to catch up. But she didn't make any mental errors and kept grinding through the low part of her round. And she was rewarded, when she started to get the ball in the hole on a couple of opportunities. At the same time, the less experienced on the leaderboard were running into some trouble of their own, and didn't always handle it as well. I know that her demeanour is criticised sometimes, but yesterday it was a consumate and experienced professional demonstrating the mental control to keep her game on track both when it was difficult and when it became more easy. And that was the difference. When she started to feel comfortable with her lead, she loosened up and was really obviously enjoying the moment. And can everyone please stop talking about how old she is at the ripe old age of 38? Phil Mickelson was leading a tournament this weekend and nobody seemed to notice or pay any attention to the fact that he is 43 this year.

#4 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3597 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

And can everyone please stop talking about how old she is at the ripe old age of 38? Phil Mickelson was leading a tournament this weekend and nobody seemed to notice or pay any attention to the fact that he is 43 this year.

Nope, the US commentators were referring to Phil's age this morning also. But I do agree with you about the constant, irrelevant references to age. Asking the media to stop making meaningless comments like that is like asking Yoss & SMS to give up trolling.

#5 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1587 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

What a champion. Australia's best ever golfer?

#6 2manybogeys

2manybogeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

And can everyone please stop talking about how old she is at the ripe old age of 38? Phil Mickelson was leading a tournament this weekend and nobody seemed to notice or pay any attention to the fact that he is 43 this year.

Nope, the US commentators were referring to Phil’s age this morning also. But I do agree with you about the constant, irrelevant references to age.

Asking the media to stop making meaningless comments like that is like asking Yoss & SMS to give up trolling.

Karrie looked quite fit and healthy to me. Age is just as handicap is - just a number. Great Aussie golfer.

#7 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

What a champion. Australia’s best ever golfer?

By any metric she has to be, doesn't she?

#8 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

have to say i love womens golf and watched the last 5 holes of that tournament and well done to Karrie however the quality of the field was appalling, a 16 Y/O amature came second? anyway i love watching ladies swing the club as they dont have strength to power the ball they actually swing at it which is nice. What i was disapointed in was the comentary and how dare they interview Karrie walking down the 18th and talking about the win when she just needed to concentrate on the final hole, if it was me i would have told her to fcuk off... well done Karrie for keeping your profesionalism..... And for the male comentator what an absolute dim wit....

#9 NWABP

NWABP

Number 9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5979 posts
  • LocationCant-bra

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:14 AM

why wouldn't they i/v the women walking down the fairway? Ch7 did it with the men... But I do think Karrie is great - really great. She had those down years after her grandfather died (her coach/mentor since she was knee high) but she came back with some mediocre (by her own v.high standards) years and now has returned with obviously a renewed passion and enthusiasm. You go girl...you do us proud both on and off the course. And oh...on the "amateur came 2nd" observation...one Aaron Baddley springs to mind.

#10 iTurf101.com

iTurf101.com

Off 20 Hahahahaha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3140 posts
  • LocationToo much time on my hands

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

What a champion. Australia’s best ever golfer?

Without an absolute doubt

#11 metalmanic

metalmanic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:32 AM

"What i was disapointed in was the comentary and how dare they interview Karrie walking down the 18th and talking about the win when she just needed to concentrate on the final hole, if it was me i would have told her to fcuk off… well done Karrie for keeping your profesionalism….." Totally agree. Rarely come to this site nowdays, but the Ch2 commentary was so pathetic I was wondering if it had been discussed. The women where just very boring, but that guy was amazingly bad. Its a shame really, cause the golf looked great, and was great to see Karrie win. And yeah WTF, "38 and can still 'hit it long'". Good grief!!

#12 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2491 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:47 AM

Deege I think you will find any reference to Karrie's age was as much a reference to the youth of those ahead of her heading into the final round rather then suggesting she was over the hill. I do not recall anyone suggesting that. When questioned on that very subject on Saturday afternoon Webb responded “I feel like women get asked the question at 38 about being a veteran or maybe past my prime. I made the comment last year that you wouldn’t ask Phil Mickelson that when he was 38. I think he’d only won one or two of his five majors that he’s won. Vijay Singh has won more events in his forties than he did in his twenties or thirties. But men don’t get asked that question as often as I feel that women do.” That was a fair response and not an angry one. I have seen Webb play this event over 20 years or so and at close quarters in many of them. I made a comment yesterday when MC at a lunch at Royal Pines of the demise of Karrie when she had her first real chance to win the event in 1997. She was distraught by being run down by Canadian Gail Graham over the closing nine holes but to her credit and perhaps a reflection on the inner resolve she has she was determined to come back and right a wrong the next year. She won the next four Ladies Masters in a row. The other thing that has impressed me about Karrie Webb is the measured and well thought through responses she has to questions from the media. We do ask some strange questions at times but she answers them all with respect and in a measured manner. Several years ago this was not the case as she was very defensive and wary of the media who had wronged her on a couple of occasions. As I said to Karrie last night in the post tournament function she is a pleasure to be in a press conference with these days and everybody benefits. She is not the reserved person that many have suggested she is but rather an intelligent an increasingly media savvy golfer. On the issue of interviewing a player on course. I did not see the situation yesterday so can't comment on that but generally the rule would be that you ask the player if they want to do it. Some will some won't and that can depend on the situation and their own personality. I imagine that Karrie would have been asked first to see whether she was prepared to do it. As I said I don't know if she was interviewed or not but that is generally the procedure. She certainly deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Norman and Thomson that is for sure and when you analyse her achievements then there is an argument to say she is our best ever. Hard to stack up the various achievements and perhaps Webb herself says it best. "I mean obviously it’s a great compliment but it’s not something that you ever set out to achieve to become. I think you set out to achieve to be the best that you can be. I think it’s always hard to compare careers to other players, and different generations and obviously male/female. I think it’s very hard to compare. “I am very proud of my career and what I’ve achieved with golf. For people to say that it’s definitely the highest compliment. But even to me Greg Norman’s still Greg Norman. I’m still an 11 year old girl sometimes when I think of Greg Norman.” “I don’t compare my career to a Greg Norman or a David Graham or a Peter Thompson. It’s just really too hard to do that. I think they’ve had fabulous careers and my career doesn’t diminish theirs or vice versa. "I think we’ve all waved the Aussie flag when we’ve been overseas and we’ve all done it very well. I think that’s why golf has continued to be a big sport in Australia and continued to grow over the years.” That comment to me summarises what I was saying earlier about her street smarts in press conferences. It was a point well made without being contrived.

#13 NWABP

NWABP

Number 9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5979 posts
  • LocationCant-bra

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

“I don’t compare my career to a Greg Norman or a David Graham or a Peter Thompson. It’s just really too hard to do that. I think they’ve had fabulous careers and my career doesn’t diminish theirs or vice versa.

and that is possibly one of the best things about golf...it is not a zero-sum game. one player can have a belter of a round/tournament/career but that does not mean another player cannot do likewise. And yes Bruce she conducts herself very very well and has done so for a long while. Thanks for the insight(s), you get to hear and see things that most of us do not. You should write about it (!)

#14 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14178 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Queensland

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

The lady wife and I had the pleasure of following Karrie around her front nine on Saturday where she was 4 under after 8. She was in great form. Didn't miss a fairway (although a lucky bounce out of a bunker on the second) and her approach shots were arrows. Great fun to watch. Although we annoyed her caddy by walking ahead for the drives and a couple of times we weren't far enough ahead and needed to stand still.

#15 Madam

Madam

Ginger is in the house

• Administrators
  • 5935 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

The lady wife and I had the pleasure ......???

Started 2012 on unofficial 17, achieved 12 – 2013 target single figures
Inaugural Official Handicapper and Treasurer of the SEQ Golf Guys

"Your lady, wife and I " sounds like a good group.;)

#16 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14178 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

You're a bad man Mike! But then you're a Madam so that should go without saying! :-)

#17 Madam

Madam

Ginger is in the house

• Administrators
  • 5935 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

You’re a bad man Mike! But then you’re a Madam so that should go without saying! :-)

I think Ive spent too many hours on this site and turned into a local!

#18 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3597 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

Karrie Webb = Aussie legend. Keep going you good thing.

#19 Weeti

Weeti

Eric "Otter" Stratton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14178 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

You’re a bad man Mike! But then you’re a Madam so that should go without saying! :-)

I think Ive spent too many hours on this site and turned into a local!

Resident forum moderator
Any issues contact content @ iseekgolf.com

So you should

#20 GolfGurls

GolfGurls

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:43 AM

Great article. Thanks for posting it. At 38 Karrie still shows she's "got it!" Proves you can play this game well for many years. That's good info for all of us, including Tiger Woods, who is getting up there himself. 

• Madam likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users