#1 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

The artist formerly known as HCWT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4496 posts
  • LocationMid north coast, NSW

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

Under the old handicapping system ( remember CCRs and other such creatures) I played off between 8 and 12 for 15 years. This gave me the chance at times to play in Div 2 pennants depending on where my handicap fell at that time of year. I enjoyed those opportunities but since the great handicap changes of recent years my handicap had fallen into the top end of Division 1 and I didnt have the chance to make that team. This year the newest version of things plus the new course ratings have seen me tumble to an all time low ( currently 3.6) and I thought " stuff it" and threw my name in the hat for division 1. I figured that whilst i had dropped to 4, most of the previous 4 markers were probably now on scratch and I would get my bum smacked anyway. My handicap is largely attributable to my extensive knowledge of my own course and my short game as I don't hit it that far or at times that straight. So i set myself an aim that if i got selected I would give it my best and if I soulc get past the 14th hole a few times that would be a good achievement. well week 1 was washed out last week with about 10 inches of rain covering the weekend so I claim that as my first half point as a division 1 pennant player. Off to a good start. Today we ventured out for rd 2. a 7am tee time at Harrington Waters GC saw me crawl out of bed about 5.15am. What a bloody ungodly time on a particularly windy and cool morning. Got out to the course and had to put my wet weather gear on to try and keep the wind out. My opponent from Wauchope GC ( a renowned strong club) was a 3 marker who was about 30. He hit it about 80-100m past me most of the day which is what i expected. However the strong south westerly wind was in my favour as the longer his ball was in the air, the more chance it had to blow offline. And for those that know Harrington GC it has water or OOB on both sides of every hole. I snuck a win on the first when he drowned his tee shot and squared the next 3. Scrounged a really ugly par with a 25m putt that hit the hole at pace on the 5th for a win to go 2 up but then turned around to come back into the wind which accentuated the difference in distance between us. Inability to keep it on the park for the next 3 holes saw 3 doubles and 3 losses to be 1 down after 8 and thinking that it was nice to have led at some point. Then the breaks came my way. His ball went OB off a cart path on 9 - back to square. I canned a 30 footer for par on 10 to go 1 up. He found the water on 11 - 2 up. He went OB on 12 - 3 up ( the goal of the 14th now assured!!) I then started to play very cagey and make sure i just bunted it around where i could and kept it in play. Square on 13 and then he drove OB again on 14 and the match was dormie, but we had to turn around and come back into the wind. I lost 15 and then we both drove into the drink on 16. I scrambled about and ended up with a 4m putt for bogey which I canned to square the hole and win the match the golf was ugly, but so were the conditions . I was unhappy with how i hit the ball, but very happy with how i thought my way around the course and the match. unfortunately the team lost 5 - 3 but for my first venture into Div 1, i was happy and successful. Onto Tuncurry next week where once again , anything can happen maybe I should declare now undefeated and retire!! :)

#2 Yarn20

Yarn20

The Iguana

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7828 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Far North NSW

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

Well done, man. I venture into the unknown next week. Shitting myself already :-)

#3 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

This is really interesting HCWT - keep up the reports.

#4 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

great read mate! I'm in the same boat as you are. Threw my hat in the ring, got a spot. Am in a team with a bunch of scratch a low single digit markers. I'm just hoping I can get out and play once even as reserves, just to get a feel for pennants play. All my team mates tell me it's great fun so cant wait! As you I'm secretly aiming to just reach the 14th (actually secretly aiming to crush my opponent but meh). Thanks for the post!

#5 TaylarsDad

TaylarsDad

TaylarsDad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1492 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

18 holes, 18 individule games, it ain't over till its mathematically impossible. Enjoy the format it is good fun.

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13167 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

I've been playing handicap pennant and senior pennant for years. Ours is only a small club so all volunteers get a guernsey. When I first played, I was absolutely hopeless on 'foreign' courses but had a good chance on home soil. I am now much more comfortable on unfamiliar territory, although it's always hard to beat a home team.

#7 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4496 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

unfortunately OB all our matches are on neutral courses so we dont get a home gig.

#8 Jiminy

Jiminy

jiminy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:45 AM

Well done clubs...see, not as bad as you thought you were - wink.....PS: great to see your commentary back on ISG

#9 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationGolfers Heaven, Mornington Peninsula

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:25 AM

Played handicap match play pennants last year. Absolutely loved it. Playing courses as diverse as Warburton and Rosebud, and many in between. Some of the most enjoyable golf I have ever played.

#10 MickelsonsMob

MickelsonsMob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

Great OP, I enjoyed the read mate. Our Pennant starts this Sunday, bring it on. I love matchplay :-) MM

#11 Jiminy

Jiminy

jiminy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

Our club has an Internal Pennants Competition during the wet season here in Darwin - 8 teams x 8 players. The aim is to create traffic on the course during a normally slow time of the year. Its my 1st year playing and am loving this great concept.....Lots of traditional rivalry amongst the old timers and best of all - if it rains, we all get soaked together

#12 Sandplay

Sandplay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

Fantastic OP.. Agree it was a great read. Keep the reports (& wins!) coming..

#13 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4496 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:35 AM

well today was round 3 and we battled the boys from Kew country club ( formerly known as Camden haven golf club) at the challenging Great Lakes Country club at Tuncurry. If the bloody course wasn't long enough they put us off the black tees to boot!! My opponent was a young bloke in his late 20s of Sri Lankan heritage who sported a 3 hcp. Unfortunately he also sported a job in Drummond golf which gave him access to plenty of practice , equipment and the subsequent game to match My day started in an interesting fashion. The formalities on the first tee were conducted by the district president and we were sent on our way. I was playing number 7 so was in the first group off. One of the locals, a large retired chap with only one leg and a pair of crutches was standing in the middle of the fairway acting as spotter. I stood up there with my driver thinking " is today a draw day or a fade day" as whatever happens on the first tee generally sets the tone for the day. Well I launched one straight down the middle. Straight at the spotter as a matter of fact. I was sure he would see it, as that was his job description really...Spotter! So I didn't yell fore, just waited for him to move...and waited...and waited. Well apparently he hadn't filled out the job application form correctly and missed the question that said " Are you blessed with good enough eyesight to see an approaching golf ball". thankfully it only got him on the bounce. On reaching him he denied that it had hit him at all but we all know that it did, but he was OK. so back to the golf First few holes are quick to describe. Opponent knocks in a 20 footer for birdie on first, 1 down. squared the second with pars then he stiffs it on the third and rolls that in for another birdie, 2 down At this point my stated aim of making it to the 14th hole each week isnt looking great. 4th is a par 3 which we were both somewhat short and chipped up to a few metres each. He charged his par putt and went a good bit by so i made sure if mine missed it was close and made my 4. He then lipped out to give me a win and back to 1 down. 5th is a par 5 and i knocked it straight down the guts. He hooked his into the scrub and after about 4 minutes and 57 seconds of searching I found his ball for him ( not the smartest thing i did all day). He pitched out and i proceeded to hook my second shot into the scrub followed by a provisional ball in the same place, both balls never to be seen again. Back to 2 down he sprayed his drive right on the 6th and i found the fairway. Unfortunately we didnt find his ball this time, which was surprising as its probably the only reasonably clear bit of rough on the course. So another win for me and back to 1 down. 7 he found the scrub, chipped out, made bogey and i was left with about 4 ft for par which I missed. Not happy Jan but a sign of things to come 8 I had about 5 ft for par and a square which again i missed. I always over read the greens at tuncurry and kept seeing things that werent there again today. 2 down again 9 was squared with bogeys. That was the first of the par 3s that i had to hit driver on for the day. 220m into the wind. 10 I carved one right and had to hit 3 off the tee. he was good enough to make bogey and followed that with another birdie on 11 to go to to 4 down but I was happy that i didnt throw the towel in and kept fighting. I won 12 with a par and 13 with a bogey when he found the bush again so I had fought back to 2 down. 14 was another driver off the tee on a par 3. Over 200 into the wind. I didnt even reach the green this time, but got up and down for a par. unfortunately my opponent made a great up and down from a tough lie to square me. 15 was a par 5 and he found the bush again while i found the fairway He was able to chip out and get to the front of the green for 4 while i was just short for 3. His 20 plus metre putt nestled a foot from the hole and i gave him that and needed to make a 6 footer for a win. Once again I over read it and looked for break that wasnt there and we squared it with sixes. So i came to the 16th 2 down, missed the green and couldnt get up and down to match his par and the match was settled 3/2 in his favour. The team lost 6-2. I was pleased with the way i hit the ball but was poor with the putter in hand. I had 4 or 5 opportunities to win holes that i let pass. Another game that i could have won, another lesson that even though your opponent may hit them well past you, your never out of the game. Next week we play the strong port macquarie club at nearby Wingham. A course that won't offer any terrors for anyone. the adventure continues

#14 blacksnake

blacksnake

BS.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2080 posts
  • Locationa hole in the ground .

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

well today was round 3 and we battled the boys from Kew country club ( formerly known as Camden haven golf club) at the challenging Great Lakes Country club at Tuncurry. If the bloody course wasn’t long enough they put us off the black tees to boot!!

My opponent was a young bloke in his late 20s of Sri Lankan heritage who sported a 3 hcp. Unfortunately he also sported a job in Drummond golf which gave him access to plenty of practice , equipment and the subsequent game to match

My day started in an interesting fashion. The formalities on the first tee were conducted by the district president and we were sent on our way. I was playing number 7 so was in the first group off. One of the locals, a large retired chap with only one leg and a pair of crutches was standing in the middle of the fairway acting as spotter. I stood up there with my driver thinking ” is today a draw day or a fade day” as whatever happens on the first tee generally sets the tone for the day. Well I launched one straight down the middle. Straight at the spotter as a matter of fact. I was sure he would see it, as that was his job description really…Spotter! So I didn’t yell fore, just waited for him to move…and waited…and waited. Well apparently he hadn’t filled out the job application form correctly and missed the question that said ” Are you blessed with good enough eyesight to see an approaching golf ball”. thankfully it only got him on the bounce. On reaching him he denied that it had hit him at all but we all know that it did, but he was OK. so back to the golf

First few holes are quick to describe. Opponent knocks in a 20 footer for birdie on first, 1 down. squared the second with pars then he stiffs it on the third and rolls that in for another birdie, 2 down

At this point my stated aim of making it to the 14th hole each week isnt looking great.

4th is a par 3 which we were both somewhat short and chipped up to a few metres each. He charged his par putt and went a good bit by so i made sure if mine missed it was close and made my 4. He then lipped out to give me a win and back to 1 down.

5th is a par 5 and i knocked it straight down the guts. He hooked his into the scrub and after about 4 minutes and 57 seconds of searching I found his ball for him ( not the smartest thing i did all day). He pitched out and i proceeded to hook my second shot into the scrub followed by a provisional ball in the same place, both balls never to be seen again. Back to 2 down

he sprayed his drive right on the 6th and i found the fairway. Unfortunately we didnt find his ball this time, which was surprising as its probably the only reasonably clear bit of rough on the course. So another win for me and back to 1 down.

7 he found the scrub, chipped out, made bogey and i was left with about 4 ft for par which I missed. Not happy Jan but a sign of things to come

8 I had about 5 ft for par and a square which again i missed. I always over read the greens at tuncurry and kept seeing things that werent there again today. 2 down again

9 was squared with bogeys. That was the first of the par 3s that i had to hit driver on for the day. 220m into the wind.

10 I carved one right and had to hit 3 off the tee. he was good enough to make bogey and followed that with another birdie on 11 to go to to 4 down but I was happy that i didnt throw the towel in and kept fighting. I won 12 with a par and 13 with a bogey when he found the bush again so I had fought back to 2 down.

14 was another driver off the tee on a par 3. Over 200 into the wind. I didnt even reach the green this time, but got up and down for a par. unfortunately my opponent made a great up and down from a tough lie to square me.

15 was a par 5 and he found the bush again while i found the fairway He was able to chip out and get to the front of the green for 4 while i was just short for 3. His 20 plus metre putt nestled a foot from the hole and i gave him that and needed to make a 6 footer for a win. Once again I over read it and looked for break that wasnt there and we squared it with sixes.

So i came to the 16th 2 down, missed the green and couldnt get up and down to match his par and the match was settled 3/2 in his favour. The team lost 6-2.

I was pleased with the way i hit the ball but was poor with the putter in hand. I had 4 or 5 opportunities to win holes that i let pass. Another game that i could have won, another lesson that even though your opponent may hit them well past you, your never out of the game.

Next week we play the strong port macquarie club at nearby Wingham. A course that won’t offer any terrors for anyone.

the adventure continues

HCWT :If you need any on course management help .I would be more than pleased to caddie for you .For the right $. Say No More . BS.

#15 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4496 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

BS - I have strong recollections of your innate ability to lay up to strategic positions, at times without ever appearing ti to be intentional. I think you missed your calling as a pro golf caddie lol all i need is an injection of ability. is that a performance enhancing substance?/ perhaps it would be illegal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users