• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Groome19

Groome19

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

A recently passed a rules of golf accreditation test which is a very dangerous thing !! A little knowledge in the wrong hands does not go a long way . In our Saturday club 4-Ball - The toughest ruling of the lot came up on a tricky par 5 when one of the players smashed his second shot, a 3 wood, in the direction of a water hazard. And so began an issue regarding a 5 minute rule, lost ball provisional ball, ball in play, wrong ball; and ball lost or thought to be lost in the hazard. As I recall , we all searched for the players ball and after approximately 5 minutes conceded that it must be lost in the water hazard and we all continued to play the hole. Player then claims to have put a 'provisional ball' in play from the edge of the water hazard (without informing marker or fellow players) - clearing the water hazard with 'Provisional' but striking tree and landing just on the other side of hazard. Player then discovers original ball, abandons 'Provisional' and completes the hole with the original ball much to the AMAZEMENT of other members of the 4-Ball. GOLF RULES MADE SIMPLE 101

#2 Libba

Libba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

In reality it's not really a tough decision. The moment he hit the 'provisional' without informing anyone, that became the ball in play (his fourth shot) - rule 27-2a.

#3 Mordan

Mordan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:52 AM

You firstly need to decide whether or not it was known or virtually certain that the ball was in the water hazard. If you looked for it for 5 minutes then I imagine that there may have been other places the ball may have been, but you couldn't find it. If there was anywhere outside the water hazard that the ball may have been, then it's a lost ball and the player should have returned to the spot he last played from and played again under penalty of stroke and distance. This may have been what you meant by 'conceding' that it was lost in the hazard but I think it's worth clarifying. If it was known or virtually certain that the ball was in the hazard then assuming that the player correctly followed the rules for dropping when a ball is lost in a hazard, and despite his meaningless declaration of 'provisional', as Libba states that ball is in play and subsequently finding his original ball is irrelevant. Although it does lead back to my original point of were the requirements for known or virtually certain met if his ball was subsequently found outside the hazard?

#4 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2396 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

I suspect groome19 knew the answer but was just relating the difficulties in making rulings in messy situations.

#5 Groome19

Groome19

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

This ruling stops all debate in the tracks - very NB point this. We had all wondered off after looking for the ball and were under the impression that player would proceed under lost ball in hazard situation.

#6 Groome19

Groome19

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:45 AM

I was not happy with the marker accepting the Provisional Ball in play and then original ball found scenario. It just did not seem right.

#7 Groome19

Groome19

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

This raises an important point as to what the chances were of the ball being in the water hazard or lost in the vicinity. I would say that it was a 50/50 chance that the ball found its way into the water hazard. What are the variations in the split of probability between lost in water hazard and lost outside of hazard. It was a blind shot with a 3 wood and directed towards the water hazard - very difficult to tell???

#8 Groome19

Groome19

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

What if he played provisional from the edge of the water hazard and not on spot nearest to where the last shot was played???

#9 Groome19

Groome19

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:00 AM

Not that simple :-) Who determines whether ball is lost in water hazard or potentially lost outside of hazard i.e. adjacent forest or bushes next to water hazard? This was a blind shot headed for the hazard - 180 meters away??

#10 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4898 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

A 50/50 chance of being in the water hazard would be nowhere near enough to take water hazard relief. Either knowledge or virtual certainty is needed. The player decides if he plays it as lost in the hazard, but the Committee would also have to be convinced if his playing partners didn't agree.

#11 Shimonko

Shimonko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4898 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:15 AM

What if he played provisional from the edge of the water hazard and not on spot nearest to where the last shot was played???
As soon as the player has headed off after playing a shot, he can no longer play a provisional for that shot. The lack of announcement does not even come into it.

#12 Groome19

Groome19

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:35 AM

Thanks Steb - so it must be virtually certain that ball is lost in the hazard to take relief from the hazard. So the most reasonable action is to announce and put a provisional ball in play , before leaving the mark where previous shot was played and before beginning the search for ball in and around the hazard?

#13 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10573 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

That is correct. Of course this is only an option if the ball could be lost outside the Hazard which it seems in this case it probably was. To my mind. the player has gained a significant advantage by hitting the Provisional ball from close to the hazard rather than returning to where previous shot was played from..This was after he had conceded that the ball was lost which is correct once the 5 minutes was up. To me significant advantage = serious breech . result DQ. without taking into account how many more rules he has broken in the process of finishing the hole.

#14 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11829 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

A provisional ball can only be played if the original is suspected of being lost outside a hazard or out of bounds. If the player is 'virtually certain' that his ball is lost in the water hazard and he drops and plays another ball, it cannot be a provisional - it is now the ball in play, irrespective of whether 5 minutes has elapsed in searching for the original and irrespective of whether he uses the 'provisional' word. Only if the original is found within 5 minutes of commencing the search and provided he has not put another ball into play, may he continue with the original. So, provided his claim of 'virtually certain' is justified, he has played 2 into the hazard, 3 out, 4 hits the tree. Then, reverting to his original ball, it's a wrong ball from a wrong place - penalty 2. Assuming it is not nearer the hole than the one that has just cleared the hazard, his stroke with it is No 7 plus whatever else he took to complete the hole. If he signed his card for less than that, he is disqualified.

#15 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10573 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

Accurate OB if there is KVC that ball is in the hazard. In this case that appears not to be the case . After 5 minutes searching the ball is not found thus is lost. Ball may be lost outside of hazard so player must return to where previous ball was played from.He does not & drops at point of entry therefore getting a 180m gain. The fact that he then finds the original " Lost" ball does not affect that gain until he breeches yet another rule & plays the original ball which he has now found.( outside the hazard.) I would hazard a guess that after playing the found original ball he has signed for a card with a score on this particular hole with no penalties involved.Again resulting in Disqualification. Just the way I see it with the information supplied.which is probably the information the match committee would be dealing with if the incident was reported. Of course we do not have the players slant on the incident.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users