#1 Placegetter

Placegetter

Here for my own entertainment.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2896 posts
  • Location17.04 warning points.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

Hi, I'm hoping you can give me an opinion. I hit a fairly stock fade as my drive, if I want a bit more curl I just move the left foot back (i'm right handed) and swing normally. It doesn't work the same (moving left foot forward) if I want to hit it right to left. Is there a set up technique you could suggest i put some effort into? Thanks. ben

#2 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20406 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

come on hack i have had my hand up for ages to answer this....

#3 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

Hi, I’m hoping you can give me an opinion. I hit a fairly stock fade as my drive, if I want a bit more curl I just move the left foot back (i’m right handed) and swing normally. It doesn’t work the same (moving left foot forward) if I want to hit it right to left. Is there a set up technique you could suggest i put some effort into? Thanks. ben

Regained most overrated golfer on this forum title at Inaugural National ISG event, Gold Coast September 2012.

Self Annointed World Champion Forum Golf 4Ball Best Ball Team with Natnkyls – Still undefeated

Handicap – bad attitude, poor dress sense.

hey ben, i'd imagine it wouldnt work the other way around due to your path being slightly outside. Moving front foot forward (closing) wont really change the fact that your path will still be outside, just now you open yourself up to being trapped at impact, normally resulting in a straight pull left, or the compensated cover drive high right. For me (and there are different ways to execute ball shape), I tend to set up with my left shoulder a little higher than normal and drop the club inside the line.

#4 Placegetter

Placegetter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2896 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:48 AM

I'm a bit shithouse, so bear with me, when you say "path being slightly outside" do i understand correctly that you mean it starts outside and heads to inside on impact, hence the standard left to right feature of my drive? Straight pull left is my standard "draw", you're spot on., Kiwi, happy for you to get involved mate, I just figured I'd ask hackpro because in the "Golf instruction" column his are the only answers i can regularly understand. I didn't graduate from NASA so don't keep up with many of the other regulars in here.

#5 Bumpun_Beetle

Bumpun_Beetle

don't you member me?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5681 posts
  • LocationThirteen point six warning points

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:49 AM

Benno, you can always ask me if you need any more advice :)

#6 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

I’m a bit shithouse, so bear with me, when you say “path being slightly outside” do i understand correctly that you mean it starts outside and heads to inside on impact, hence the standard left to right feature of my drive?

Straight pull left is my standard “draw”, you’re spot on.,

Kiwi, happy for you to get involved mate, I just figured I’d ask hackpro because in the “Golf instruction” column his are the only answers i can regularly understand. I didn’t graduate from NASA so don’t keep up with many of the other regulars in here.

Regained most overrated golfer on this forum title at Inaugural National ISG event, Gold Coast September 2012.

Self Annointed World Champion Forum Golf 4Ball Best Ball Team with Natnkyls – Still undefeated

Handicap – bad attitude, poor dress sense.

you got it mate....regarding the path so when you close it up at the feet to attempt working the ball from right to left, all it does is then trap that outside path at impact, resulting in a straight pull left.... Sometimes if you fell trapped you will then compensate with the hands or lack of release, resulting in the high massive righty..... it comes back to really knowing, feeling and understanding where and how the club feels in different positions on different paths. Only then can you make the link between thought, feel (mind and body), to produce and execute what you want to create with the shot in front of you. The easiest way to begin to work on his association is to start practicing hitting balls at the range. First, start trying to hit the hardest cuts you can, you want to try and slice the ball as hard right as you can without necking it. Next, run the opposite you want to try hooking everything as hard as you can. Even duck hooking it. Say try 30 balls of each, NOT alternating, but in a row, so 30 hard cuts, then 30 hard hooks. Really work on using the clubhead PATH as your tool to create these drastic flights. You want to really feel the club way way outside the line on takeway and then explosive, but cutting across the back through impact. Be sure not to drop it to the inside at the top, say outside, the feel is a "spinning" feel, like you are trying to spin the ball across the back. Then the other way, close it up a little (not too much, you will cramp/trap yourself again, leaving you nowhere to go). Now you want a hard inside to inside path, remember to commit to it and get your left side through and around, otherwise you will stall it and blow it right. The feeling here is a certain "flatness" to the club, like you are really dragging it behind and around the body. Correct hand action will get you the hard hook. Flip the hands and you will get the ducky. Do them both flip the hands, release the hands and "check" the hands. Note, feel and associate the result with all 3. Now, go back and start hitting those hard cuts and slices again. Learn 2 things with the cut/fade. Firstly learn what result you get with purely the path outside as far as you can, then also start to learn delaying the hands (lag). The farther or longer you delay them the further right. These drills will begin the process of what I like to call a "point of reference". Once you can do it on demand, then alternate then, 1 hard cut, then one hard hook, then say 4 hard cuts, 2 hard hooks etc. Once you can produce sequences of say 30 balls on demand, then my friend you are 1/2 way there. You minds and body know knows the difference between the 2, it now knows what is required to produce the 2 opposites and now YOU have begun to "feel" how and where the club is and feels like to be in the positions needed..... Once there, you then need to work in slowly to the meeting point in the middle. Which is a correct path, with the correct hand position at impact, square clubface which basically results in a straight shot/flight. for a right hander, begin to work on the left to hight side first. get comfortable with it. Start to reduce the path from the outside, dont take it so drastically wide, swing it in from that line a bit. Note and associate the result. Then bring it in some more and keep coming. Really take mental and physical note of how it feels. Once you get to the straight flight, then work the other side, the inside, and start to tame it, not as flat and dragging, not as rotating and work it in the same way. Once you have worked 1000's of balls doing this. Then you will know exactly when and how it feels. You can hit those hooks and cuts blindfolded. Now, here is where it gets tricky. Hands, hands, hands!! The feeling here of "delay" is really hard to describe. Its known as lag,loading blah blah. The best way to describe it to a beginner would be to imagine that you body is always moving just infront of the club/hands. Another way would be to take your backswing stop and pause at the top, but the first movement is the body beginning the downswing thru impact and the club and shaft have not moved yet. watch slow mo vids of players that have great lag, you will see them get not even to the top of the swing (club is still moving backwards to the top), but the body has passed this point and is already beginning to unwind into impact. This is how true great power is produced. Knowing and feeling the clubs lag is 100% necessary in beginning the "timing" of the hands and how important they are in manufacturing shots. Reducing this hand delay at the last minute will allow the hands to "catch up" ever so slightly, rolling it a little (i call it), and delaying it farther will allow the face to remain a time bit open (bleeding the ball a little thru flight). You can hit superb "tiny" draws and "baby" fades by simply being in touch with this hand timing aspect of your swing. Combine the 2 elements and there will not be a shot or ball flight that you will not be able to hit on the golf course..... actually DOING what you know you are supposed to everytime is the hard bit, its the bit that you will never always get right. Ever seen a pro or good player call a NO, NOPE, THATS NOT IT etc basically before, at or millisecond after impact? why? because he/she knows what they needed to do, how they needed it to feel and they knew right at that point, that they failed to do what they knew they had to. Its all about the mind and body connection, it's the only way. If anyone has seen me on the range prior to a round I almost always end with 3 hard cuts and 3 duck hooks. It keeps it fresh, it keeps it real and it brings the whole spectrum of opposites right to the surface just before tee off. Takes a lot of practice,time and energy, but you game will come leaps and bounds once you get it. godd luck man, happy to help if your in melbourne mate

#7 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

lol

#8 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

lol

…..

what? explain?

#9 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:17 AM

Sorry Pro dude, I can't believe they busted ask a pro that's all. It's the first time I've noticed. Nothing against you. I should have expanded !! I'm looking forward to providing swing plane advice :)

#10 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

you are such a ****. you are just very lucky your not going to SL mate, I am so looking forward to meeting you face to face. I cant wait. FYI the question from the OP was DIRECTED at me dipshit.

#11 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

lol. Gee you go hard. I was serious, I hadn't noticed this was open to anyone. Happy to catch up buddy.

#12 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

believe me I will show you how far from a "buddy" you are to me. Say clear of me , free advice for you.

#13 Placegetter

Placegetter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2896 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

If anyone has seen me on the range prior to a round I almost always end with 3 hard cuts and 3 duck hooks. ”

I think we might be more simmilar than I had thought. Although, perhaps you mean to hit your duck hooks and i, well, who knows really? Finished at the driving range today with a shanked wedge and the range operator said "you can't finish on a shot like that can you?" and I just replied, "welcome to my world". Hackpro, I wanted to thank you for the effort you took to respond to my post, this to someone who yo uhave never met and wouldn't know if you hit with a three iron, is very much appreciated. Let me say this, it won't be wasted, I'll be trialling the paths drills you've suggested (although I'll admit a little bit of glaze did cross my eyes when you said "1000's of balls"). I do get to Melbourne on occasion, I'd be keen for a hit. We'll drag Kiwi along for commentary. He can tell me how bad I am and you can show me how to fix. The perfect triumvirate.

#14 Dick_Grayson

Dick_Grayson

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

Chill out champ.

#15 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

Chill out champ.

The Batman Never Dies

ok, ok I take it back I will be all good when I finally meet him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users