• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lyyynnnchy

Lyyynnnchy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Hey All, Have just started golf, would very much appreciate if you could help me with my swing. http://imageshack.us...kyrbxuasbn.mp4/ http://imageshack.us...lwagetmrcu.mp4/ Thanks!

#2 Lyyynnnchy

Lyyynnnchy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

anyone?

#3 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4418 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Nice home setup. Nobody has inhouse facilities like that just starting golf. Is this a gee-up and is that your real swing?:-)

#4 Lyyynnnchy

Lyyynnnchy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

What? It was filmed at GolfTec in the Melbourne CBD

#5 Lyyynnnchy

Lyyynnnchy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Nice home setup. Nobody has inhouse facilities like that just starting golf. Is this a gee-up and is that your real swing?:-)

The man who hits at the ball rather than through it has no sense of rhythm.
Secrets of the Master – The Best of Bobby Jones

I'll take it as a compliment though :)

#6 epamis

epamis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

I'm no expert but my observations would be: * Very upright swing plane leading to a steep impact position * You keep the club face pretty shut through out My guess is you grip the club pretty tight and your bad shot is a pull right.

#7 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19970 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

and get some golf shoes so your base is stable your feet are all over the joint

#8 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4418 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

The man who hits at the ball rather than through it has no sense of rhythm.
Secrets of the Master – The Best of Bobby Jones

I’ll take it as a compliment though :)

Soooo Lynchy, you are not the proud owner of those practice facilities, sorry about that. Can't see much of your swing to comment about your technique. It doesn't look to bad for a beginner in that you appear to have athletic skills. You will need them to play this game. The thing about golf is that we have to play it to get anything out of it. It is a game that is meant to be played on the golf course. The score we post is the true indicator of our skill as a golfer. Best advice is to sign up for lessons with a teaching professional, one every 6 weeks. Work on what the pro wants you to learn in the interim, so that you can both move on to the next skill or fundamental in the next lesson/s. Golf is about the most difficult sport to learn but the most rewarding when we get there. Most of the members on this forum, myself included, had to learn the hard way. Don't be like us, be smarter.

#9 Lyyynnnchy

Lyyynnnchy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

I’m no expert but my observations would be:
  • Very upright swing plane leading to a steep impact position
  • You keep the club face pretty shut through out

My guess is you grip the club pretty tight and your bad shot is a pull right.

No, actually my bad shot is a big slice. I was told by someone at the hosue of golf when I wastrying out some clubs, it was because I was leading with my left hand rather than my right? I now close the club face to stop the slice from happening...I should probably get lessons instead!

#10 Lyyynnnchy

Lyyynnnchy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

Thanks Razaar, I have played a lot of sport including cricket and tennis which I think has helped. I have been getting a lot better by trying to play once a week. 2 weeks ago I hit a 41 on the back 9 at Sandhurst but my last 2 games have been at Albert park where I have scored 44 on the front 9 and 47 on the back 9 (the 47 included 5 pars). I'm just incredibly inconsistent at the moment, especially with my approach shots and chipping, everything else seems to be coming along nicely though. I've played less than 10 games in total in my short palying career so I think to keep improving as quick as I want to I may need to take up your advice in regards to having some lessons, I am very stubborn though and had the whole "teach myself watching youtube videos" idea going. I've heard once you have really gotten used to a swing it's hard to change though?

#11 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4418 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

Since you have played tennis, I can give you an example of what a proper golf swing feels like. It should feel similar to playing a left hand backhand volley, only hitting down on the ball with the right hand below the left providing power at the bottom but not over powering the left. Do the lesson route and learn to feel the right way. We have to feel it to understand it, and we all need to be shown what we need to feel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users