5 replies to this topic

#1 Brianwh

Brianwh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Recently was playing in a group in which a player was confronted with the following situation: His ball had com to rest just off the green in an old, unrepaired divot (not happy). He attempted to play it by hitting down on the back of it but only succeeded in digging into the ground behind the ball causing a centimetre or so of turf to be raised directly behind it. Was he entitled to repair the damage he had done in his first attempt to chip his ball before making his next shot?

#2 Libba

Libba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

13-2 doesn't list any exceptions and the decisions that relate to it would indicate that he would not be entitled to any relief.

#3 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2445 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

Was he entitled to repair the damage he had done in his first attempt to chip his ball before making his next shot?

No.

#4 Brianwh

Brianwh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

As his marker, I gave the view that he was not entitled to relief and he was OK with that. Said it was similar to attempting to play out of a bunker and having the ball roll back into the mark just made. Does highlight though that the thoughtlessness of some players and lack of etiquette can cause unnecessary upset and inconvenience to fellow players

#5 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationGolfers Heaven, Mornington Peninsula

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Could have declared it unplayable, taken a drop, for a single stroke penalty. Don't think the location of the divot, close to the green, has any relevance. Could occur anywhere through the green.

#6 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Every Saturday during my comp round I repair countless divots in the fairway and lob marks on the green, and only some of them are mine. When I look around at other players their sand buckets are mostly full. If everyone repaired an extra divot and lob mark we would come across this problem far less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users