• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 desertsands

desertsands

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

New member first post anywhere 'Hello World'. Thought I try to add my skew on the golf roundabout and where its got me. Grip, after strangling to many small birds while playing and practicing and numerous coaches say tension kills my swing, i employed my patented Steak Grip.Though extreme, the thickness of my grips mainly the tapered end, is to a point where i have little tension between thumb and index finger and the club rests in my hand. How did i know how thick, much like you can test a steak from rare to well done by using your thumb to touch the other finger tips and feeling that tension on the meaty part of the thumb i did the same with grip size to the point of rare. Intially i used tape that you would use on tennis racqets to get too size and thought once i conquered the tension would revert back to a less extreme grip size but like the fat putter grip trend i like them this way now, and with great affect other parts of my swing have fallen in to place. Now depending on the derision level from my more esteemed members, I'll either go back to a world of anonymity or enjoy answering and continue adding to this thread and forum, maybe even get as far as talking about the Gut Swing. cheers

#2 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4459 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

Thanks for the tip. Is your steak grip a reminder grip? Does it have something that allows you to place your hands on the club in the exact same position every time you grip the club?

#3 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12137 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

Hmmm, interesting.. Think I'll go and cook a steak for dinner.

#4 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20000 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

any tips for a vegan grip??

#5 Codboy

Codboy

Tearing up country tracks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5773 posts
  • LocationIn the bar

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

What sort of birds were they ? And yes grip pressure has a lot to do with it all or something ;-)

#6 desertsands

desertsands

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Thanks guys, I grip the club as anyone would, the steak grip is the end result of many different efforts to find a relaxing grip, I think this is a good way for other golfers to maybe try to self test on course if things are getting a bit tight, I personally don't like doing a myriad of obvious swing fixes on course this is quite subtle, something outside the usual instruction we read, maybe even take your mind off the trouble your in, we all like a good steak.(bananas for kiwi). My grip is one less thing in the equation now, my grips maybe bigger than bubba but I don't mind when I flush it. As for the birds maybe the wedge tail eagles out here needed to be held a bit tighter than some of the sparrows that hang around some city courses This release of grip pressure has now enabled me to concentrate on the next stage.....

#7 Mekat

Mekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3272 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

It's like a pizza grip, all in the fingers... But seriously, I too have had a grip pressure issue, but mine was too light. in fact I would almost let go of the club... sometime I would almost release my right hand in my back swing. By the time I reached impact, I think the face angle had changed slightly. I have had to make my grip on the club firmer (more secure), maintain that tension in my hands throughout the swing. Whilst I am aware of the grip tension in my hands, I make sure that the grip pressure does not inhibit relaxed hinging in the wrists, allowing a free and relaxed swing. The pressure if generally enough to have a secure hold and control of the club in my hands As a right hander, the grip pressure on the club is primarily in the left hand, specifically the middle, ring, and pinky fingers, and two fingers of the right hand, specifically the middle and 'ring' fingers. for the other fingers of both hands, there is virtually no pressure... perhaps your 'Steak grip' tension....

#8 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

I'm guessing your grips are bigger than mine, but mine are +3 wraps left hand, +6 right hand, which reduces the taper. Took me a long time to get them right, and now I have no idea what my grip tension is. It has allowed me to get more agressive. (Might even go bigger, we'll see.) The tennis wraps for testing grip size is a great idea. As for pizza and steak, I'll opt for the steak as I've had too much pizza lately. :) One of the best grip tips I ever heard was to grip a 48" ruler, flat side to target. Thumbs will oppose, and the ruler 'plane' will place the rest of your hands in a good starting position. Then minor adjustments are ok.

#9 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4459 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

That advice about the ruler is Sam Snead's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users