31 replies to this topic

#1 Waggle

Waggle

Chopper.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1747 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

No "Go to an aimpoint session" posts please. I'm struggling to read the correct break on putts from 4-10ft. Most of the time I'm giving them too much for the speed im hitting it. Sometimes I'm not even close to catching the hole. What are some things I could start to introduce to help get me sinking more putts. I'm going to start hitting the practice green more regularly for starters. Not really sure what I can really focus on to get me reading the putts better than just hitting putts to all different holes and taking a mental not of where it missed and why. Perhaps the way I read greens in itself is entirely wrong? It's just really been bugging me the last few rounds more than ever. I'm happy with my stroke and speed of the putts I'm hitting. Majority of the time they are finishing a comfortable distance after the hole (2-3ft). My putts are going where I intended to hit them so its not an alignment thing which I thought it might be. I know it's not something that can ever be perfected but ideally I'd like to be doing something more precise than just hitting putt after putt on the practice green hoping I'm benefiting from the experience. Any aids I should be looking into? Perhaps some putting specific lessons? Yeah ok... I'll mention it. Aimpoint?

#2 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

hi waggle, you mention you are happy with your stroke? so you would say "rarely" you put a bad stroke on a putt? if thats the case and your stroke is repeatable and rock solid, then I will move onto this.... 1. SPEED - how far past the hole are your putts finishing? 2. visualise the line and pace 3. know "how" you want to hole the putt. Meaning, solid jam it in there, die it into the hole etc, it will all effect the pace and line of the putt. 4. commit to the line 5. commit to the pace. 6. know the speed of the greens will effect the amount of break in a putt. 7. know the ball will always break farther on a downhiller than an uphiller. 8. trust yourself 9. know that unless you get these 4 components all working well together, then it will be always a weakness. a)the stroke b)the read c)the line d)the pace -----if any of those is missing, you will not hole the putt 99% of the time.

#3 Ma'dam

Ma'dam

Winter is getting to me

• Administrators
  • 6862 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Sorry to do this here are a few "unmentionable" stories that may help;) Green Read story Video 1- Learn to Make Everything Make everything The putting paradox

#4 GP Pro-Golf

GP Pro-Golf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Waggle, So many golfers under read their putts. I struggled for a couple of years getting my reads right and my coach gave me a couple of drills to work on. Something that my work for you would be to stand on the low side of your putt and find the point at which the ball will start to take the slope and allow gravity to feed it down to the hole. Once you find this spot, put a coin there and hit putts to this spot and see how close to the right point you are. Once you find the right break point, hit 3 putts just on the high side of the coin and 3 putts just on the low side of the coin at a slower/faster speed and see how the putt reacts. You will soon get a feel for where to aim your putts. You'll find that the spot that you read from side on will be a lot more than what you will see when you stand back behind your ball. Trust it! I have used Aimpoint now for 2 years and it has helped my putting out immensely. I would strongly suggest looking at attending an Aimpoint session and learning that process. Very simple to understand and once the penny drops, it stays there! It is then just up to you to work on it, but the more time you put in, the easier it becomes and the less time you need to spend referring to your chart. Glenn

#5 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2480 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

No “Go to an aimpoint session” posts please.

I’m struggling to read the correct break on putts from 4-10ft. Most of the time I’m giving them too much for the speed im hitting it. Sometimes I’m not even close to catching the hole.

What are some things I could start to introduce to help get me sinking more putts. I’m going to start hitting the practice green more regularly for starters. Not really sure what I can really focus on to get me reading the putts better than just hitting putts to all different holes and taking a mental not of where it missed and why.

Perhaps the way I read greens in itself is entirely wrong? It’s just really been bugging me the last few rounds more than ever.

I’m happy with my stroke and speed of the putts I’m hitting. Majority of the time they are finishing a comfortable distance after the hole (2-3ft). My putts are going where I intended to hit them so its not an alignment thing which I thought it might be.

I know it’s not something that can ever be perfected but ideally I’d like to be doing something more precise than just hitting putt after putt on the practice green hoping I’m benefiting from the experience.

Any aids I should be looking into? Perhaps some putting specific lessons? Yeah ok… I’ll mention it. Aimpoint?

Fore!

Golflink

Waggle, Sounds like a green reading issue, maybe Aimpoint is worth you while investigating. It teaches you how to read greens and where to aim to pick your lines. Its a fast track of learning these skills which takes years of playing and practice to acquire. You still require other skills of getting your speed right and getting your putts on the right line etc. Justin Rose his weakness was left to right putts, after doing aimpoint it's no longer his weakness, holing that left to right bomb in the Ryders Cup and the 15ftr to win a tourney. His issues were his reads for left to right putts and picking the right lines.

#6 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20055 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

Justin Rose his weakness was left to right putts, after doing aimpoint it’s no longer his weakness, holing that left to right bomb in the Ryders Cup and the 15ftr to win a tourney. His issues were his reads for left to right putts and picking the right lines.
is it just me, or is there any one else who may be wondering how you could know this zen?

#7 Waggle

Waggle

Chopper.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1747 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

Aimpoint is on the long to do list. I'd like to try and improve this part of my game through other methods first before turning to aimpoint. It shouldn't be as hard as it seems to be the last few weeks. Hack - I'm sure my stroke could well use more work but for now I'm hitting my spots I want the ball to roll over so its the least of my worries. I think I've been reading too much about amateurs not giving putts enough break and now I've got that in mind I always seem to be taking too much. Of course there is always an exception but for the most part this is what I feel is occurring. I'll try some of the stuff posted already but please feel free to keep them coming. Hitting the practice green tomorrow for a couple of hours so will have plenty of time to really work on things. Here's hoping I dont lose focus and waste my time down there.

#8 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20055 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

waggle may sound crazy but a lesson may be the go as you could be practicing the wrong stuff kiwi

#9 Ma'dam

Ma'dam

Winter is getting to me

• Administrators
  • 6862 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

Did you check the alignment of your eyes in relation to ball? Ie looking direct down over ball

#10 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

Justin Rose his weakness was left to right putts, after doing aimpoint it’s no longer his weakness, holing that left to right bomb in the Ryders Cup and the 15ftr to win a tourney. His issues were his reads for left to right putts and picking the right lines.

is it just me,
or is there any one else who may be wondering how you could know this zen?

If i was to start smoking
i think they would be oh i don’t know..
Vanilla flavored i reckon

google is your friend comes up 1st hit when pumped into google

#11 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20055 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

is it just me,

google is your friend
comes up 1st hit when pumped into google

“I work with retards, Those goofy bastards are about the best thing I’ve got going.” – Pat Healy – “There’s Something About Mary”

cheers mate & thanks google

#12 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2480 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

is it just me,

google is your friend

“I work with retards, Those goofy bastards are about the best thing I’ve got going.” – Pat Healy – “There’s Something About Mary”

cheers mate
& thanks google

I suppose you can google although how I know about it was Foley's right hand man who is a client of ours was telling me on skype a while ago Rose weakness was left to right putts. He said Rose was going to go to work with David Orr and also do Aimpoint. David is known in the industry as one of the top putting coaches in the US. I personally don't know David although had great feed back from some of our clients who also go to him. After Rose worked with David he improved his left to right putts, according to my contact and affiliates coaches with aimpoint I work with. They also liaison with David. He said to them Rose didn't do much with his stroke, he said his issues were with his reads for left to right and general reads. So you know for future reference Kiwi, How do I know what goes in the US with tour players etc. My business has a Internet portal which allows coaches, doctors, physios etc in many sports to upload data to us from anywhere in the world to be process into 3D biomechanical analysis. In golf I work with coaches all over the world, tour players and golfers at all levels. I can do this from my home and they can view my computer screen which enables me to discuss the their 3D data and their training programs we have provided. That's the beauty of the Internet and technology for you.

#13 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

First and foremost, if you're playing the same course a lot, you shouldn't have many read problems. A mini-version of Aimpoint is to map the 'straight' putts after your play of the hole. There are general 'cupping' areas and maps that the crew uses, so after you play the hole, tap a ball downhill away from the cup to get the position of the uphill straight putt, and map it. Depending on how complicated the cup rotation is, after about 6 rounds you should know the 'fall line' of every cupping area. Based on where your ball is in relation to the fall line, you will have an immediate idea of the break within about 15 feet of the hole. This is a big key in gaining information that your fellow competitors don't have. With that type of knowledge, it will help you visualize fall lines and breaks on other courses you don't have mapped. The normal method of reading from behind the ball places you the farthest away from the most important part of the putt. I always recommend reading your putts from about 6 - 8 feet behind the hole, especially noting the direction from which the ball will best drop in the hole. This effectively changes the 'center' of the hole from straight on. This has been the single best 'reading' tip I ever received, and I got it from a pro about 45 years ago.

#14 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20055 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

is it just me,

google is your friend

cheers mate
& thanks google

I suppose you can google although how I know about it was Foley’s right hand man who is a client of ours was telling me on skype a while ago Rose weakness was left to right putts. He said Rose was going to go to work with David Orr and also do Aimpoint. David is known in the industry as one of the top putting coaches in the US. I personally don’t know David although had great feed back from some of our clients who also go to him.

After Rose worked with David he improved his left to right putts, according to my contact and affiliates coaches with aimpoint I work with. They also liaison with David. He said to them Rose didn’t do much with his stroke, he said his issues were with his reads for left to right and general reads.

So you know for future reference Kiwi, How do I know what goes in the US with tour players etc. My business has a Internet portal which allows coaches, doctors, physios etc in many sports to upload data to us from anywhere in the world to be process into 3D biomechanical analysis. In golf I work with coaches all over the world, tour players and golfers at all levels. I can do this from my home and they can view my computer screen which enables me to discuss the their 3D data and their training programs we have provided. That’s the beauty of the Internet and technology for you.

scott@zenolink.com

http://www.facebook.com/zen...

Core Health first 3D gym in the world. 1 Golf Links Road, Frankston South

Fair enough zen The reason I asked was a lot of your posts say this and say that re tour players that you have worked with with out naming names. Thats what pricked my curiosity (naming rose) I can't be arsed using google when fishing The bait I use seems to work fine

#15 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Tons of good tips above. I'n also really curious about aimpoint and would love to attend a clinic but there don't seem to be many in the Sydney area. You mentioned that you are not sure what to practice when you get to the putting green. Here's one idea I've tried in the past: get to the putting green as early as possible when there is still a thin layer of due on the green: you'll have a good visual cue of the break in your putts from the trails the balls leave. Also as someone else mentionned, creating a written or mental database of your local course's greens' breaks is crucial (won't help much playing other courses though).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users