101 replies to this topic

#1 ZigZag

ZigZag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:37 AM

We've been invited to a wedding on Sun and the couple have requested a Wedding Wishing Well (cash in lieu of gifts). This makes perfect sense to ensure that you don't end up with 5 kettles as we did. The question is how much do you give. The venue is quite posh - should this have a bearing on the amount ?

#2 corn

corn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

The standard amount to give in a wishing well is what it would cost if you were to pay for your own way.

#3 Bumpun_Beetle

Bumpun_Beetle

don't you member me?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5285 posts
  • LocationThirteen point six warning points

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

we did a wishing well, the amounts ranged from something like $100 per couple, $100 from individuals to $300 a couple. I am sure that no reasonable bride and groom will judge you for what you do put it. Me personally, I would think roughly what you think the cost per person would be? and also how much you like the couple :)

#4 Trickshot239

Trickshot239

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3269 posts
  • LocationQueanbeyan NSW

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:31 AM

we did a wishing well, the amounts ranged from something like $100 per couple, $100 from individuals to $300 a couple. I am sure that no reasonable bride and groom will judge you for what you do put it.
Me personally, I would think roughly what you think the cost per person would be?
and also how much you like the couple :)

Have you come here to play Jesus, with the leopards in your head

I just happen to have a copy of the Penguin Book of Etiquette on my coffee table as my son is getting married in May and he was doing a bit of research. Under Weddings, they mention that in Chinese weddings, giving lai see or 'lucky money' in a red envelope is a common practice. The amount of money should be an even number, never odd. Because it is intended to help meet the cost of the reception the amount depends on the standard of the venue and is calculated on a per head basis. So couples pay twice as much as singles and what they pay at a 5 star hotel would be greater than one at a more modest place (as Bump has said above). Assuming you're a couple and aren't using the Royal plural I 'd hazard a guess that $120 would be OK, $150 or $160 if you're not too broke and are feeling generous. Have a good time.

#5 nick83

nick83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:50 AM

Same deal with engagement parties???

#6 Stinkler

Stinkler

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:59 AM

Bloody hell, give $20, drink and eat heaps, then scarpa. Weddings aren't a money gathering time FFS. So much wasted money at so many weddings, people dropping $50k or more, pfft. Celebrate without waste, except for being wasted of course.

#7 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2636 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

Bloody hell, give $20, drink and eat heaps, then scarpa.

Weddings aren’t a money gathering time FFS.

So much wasted money at so many weddings, people dropping $50k or more, pfft.

Celebrate without waste, except for being wasted of course.

What is this golf game you talk of?

agree stink...weddings are a crock

#8 hakman

hakman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:06 AM

Just tell them the cost of the cab home is about $80, suit dry cleaning $20 and mrs new dress was $200 so they owe you $150!

#9 Stinkler

Stinkler

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

agree stink…weddings are a crock

Consultancy….if you’re not part of the solution, there’s big bucks to be made prolonging the problem.

They can be very good, not shitting on marriage itself, been married 19 years and love my wife to bits! I think ours cost around $3.5k, bit of food, some drinks, lots of laughs, spent more on my 40th birthday :)

#10 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2636 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

...just love it when you receive an invite to a wedding complete with a "gift register"....for Myers and David Jones......what happened to Target and K-Mart??

#11 Stinkler

Stinkler

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

...just love it when you receive an invite to a wedding complete with a “gift register”....for Myers and David Jones…...what happened to Target and K-Mart??

Consultancy….if you’re not part of the solution, there’s big bucks to be made prolonging the problem.

Yep, oh so true.

#12 GolfGopher

GolfGopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

I recently went to a wedding with a wishing well where they emailed every one their bsb and account numbers and told ppl to put their names in the transaction description! I'm all for practicality but I thought this was going too far! I made sure I bought them the bulkiest present I could find and presented it to them at their reception. U can never have enuf washing baskets!

#13 Stinkler

Stinkler

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25174 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

That's truly wrong. Wonder if they do a list of sponsors in order of donation on the thank you card?

#14 Reefer

Reefer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:09 AM

agree stink…weddings are a crock

I have to agree as well.

#15 chinaalan

chinaalan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

That’s truly wrong. Wonder if they do a list of sponsors in order of donation on the thank you card?

Stink I couldn't agree more with both your posts. So much waste, so much greed and now it appears so much arrogance. Give me a chinese wedding anyday, give a red packet with what you think is appropriate and done with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users