Teetime Specials

• Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $49 (Save 44%) (WAS $89.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE
  • Trafalgar Golf Club - $25 (Save 0%) (WAS $25.0)
    18 Holes Walking $40 for cart hire at the club
  • Phillip Island Golf Club - $38 (Save 0%) (WAS $38.0)
    18 Holes Walking
  • Drouin Golf
    18 Holes Walking
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
Photo

Intro to say hello and little about me

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Blender

Blender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

Hi, First post, long time reader. I'm a weekend hacker who has played golf on and off since I could walk (I'm now 31) - my grandfather worked at a pro shop and got me a cut down set when was younger. Anyway other sports have always been my main passion (particularly basketball and tennis, with a bit of indoor soccer in there too). After an injury I sustained some two years ago I got out of the habit of sport. This summer I've been getting back into it and giving golf my full attention. I've been trying to hit the range or course two to three times a week (with the putter sitting next to the TV at home to putt balls at 5 cent piece in the middle of the room.......!). I've always thought I had potential to be a reasonable hacker (close to single figure HC but I'm far from it at the moment). I'm sitting at around 21 over for the couple of rounds I've played in the last month or two. Very inconsistent (eg went round Box Hill front nine with a 40 - including a triple on the second and then a 49 on the second nine including a 10 on the 13th)! Needless to say I was happy with the out not so much with the in. Played Sandhurst North course recently and hit an ugly 93 - wasn't overly impressed with the course to be honest either, lots of sand strips running across the fairways - drainage I'm guessing??? Getting my first lesson tomorrow, the in-laws were generous to purchase a series of six half hour lessons for me. My initial goal is to be a 15 handicapper. I live (Chelsea Heights) and work (Carnegie) in the south east of Melbourne and generally get out and about around the courses not too far away. I'm not a member anywhere at present but this may change as the year goes on depending on the financial controller...... :) Although I'd also like to replace my 15 year old Wilson ProStaff irons so that may come first. Anyway this was just an intro to say g'day. Also would be looking for people to play with out my way from time to time so thought this was a good medium to set that up. I'm hoping to play Patterson River on the weekend or over the next couple of weeks. Looks in very good condition from what I can see as I've ridden past it on the way to the beach on a few of the hotter days lately. Well enough cr*p from me. Hi to all, looking forward to learning as much as I can. I'll try to check back on this thread as time goes on and, if for no other reason, keep it updated for my own interest and a track of how I'm going. Cheers.

#2 Madam

Madam

Ginger is in the house

• Administrators
  • 5953 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:22 AM

Welcome Blender good luck in your journey. Check out the ISG Golf Days section- heaps of people and events to play in with other ISG Members.

#3 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts
  • LocationRobe South Australia

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

Welcome Blender join the rest of us sports nuts who have become dedicated (obsessed in my case) to golfing because injury made playing other sports competitively easily enjoyable. Every one else here is insane, I am more sofistimacated and edjumacated and just a little bit mental. Oh and some are Kiwi's and Collingwood supporters so be gentle with the retards.

#4 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

welcome aboard mate, go to ISG Golf days forum and you'll see lots of regualr OOM events or social golf days scheduled for Victoria's finest. First event at Sanctuary lakes in February. good luck, hope to see you around

#5 Aussiekev

Aussiekev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • LocationNarre warren south

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

Welcome Blender. Seems we have a few things in common. A financial controller who can be controlled sometime. A move to golf due to injury and the fact we are both SE Melb. If you are ever keen for a hit down at Churchill Park in Endeavour Hills let me know and I can arrange a hit for us both around there.

#6 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18931 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

blender - welcome to the mad house watch the smokers here, some one will ask you what you are wearing for sure Kiwi

#7 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Welcome Blender. You're in a great golfing area. The isg Melbourne chapter will help support your travels. Top blokes.

#8 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2440 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

Blender, Drop us an email, Long Island isn't far from where you live we can tee up a game some time.

#9 Blender

Blender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the welcome. This site seems a fountain of knowledge and some interesting perspectives on what makes a good swing / a good golfer. Thanks Zen, haven't played Long Island for a number of years so would be keen to give it another shot. I'll check out the ISG golf days and hopefully meet some of you sometime soon. Got my first lesson today, this could be interesting.......!

#10 Goldy

Goldy

Bluto Snr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21884 posts
  • LocationAnimal House

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Blender - check out this thread http://forums.iseekg...h-february-2013 Feb 24 at Sanctuary Lakes, $65 - a chance to catch up with another 60 or so of the people around here.....

#11 inkosi

inkosi

BOON (Otter's best friend)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11166 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Welcome and keep us updated on your progress. whacker (weekend hacker) Cheers.

#12 Blender

Blender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Well I had my first lesson last night which I think went really well. My natural action at the moment needs some work - as I have a tendency to cast the club a bit and loose a lot of power early as a result. Ball flight is quite high and my bad miss is a slice - cutting across the ball. He has me concentrating on keeping the lag for as long as possible which is definitely a different feeling. However the couple that I did connect with I could see immediately the better ball flight and increased distance. Now just to make it permanent.....! I have pretty good hand eye coordination so I'm confident I can make this change with the right amount of time and effort. I had two of the dreaded 'shanks' that I've never really experienced before. To be expected for the moment whilst I ingrain the new swing I suppose. After the first the pro told me that that word is not allowed to be uttered on the golf course......! :-) Apart from that he was pretty pleased with how I swing, eg my natural body movements. We're going to give it a couple of weeks so I can get some practise in with the new swing and then I'll go back for my second lesson. If anyone has a good drill to ingrain the lag feeling I'd be happy to hear them.

#13 parbreaker

parbreaker

QLD 8 STR8 M8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationQ U E E N S L A N D E R

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Welcome Blender. Good to see your passion for the game. If you want to become the best then perhaps a move up North to Gods country is in your best interests (QLD). Enjoy learning about this great game.

#14 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18931 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

Welcome Blender. Good to see your passion for the game. If you want to become the best then perhaps a move up North to knobs country is in your best interests (QLD). Enjoy learning about this great game.

Queensland – 7 Consecutive Origin Series

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

fixed

#15 Blender

Blender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Had lesson number two last night and things are still improving. I am noticing a little bit of pain though on the inside of my left wrist at the hollow (does that makes sense?). This has only been since the first lesson which focussed a lot on relaxing the wrists / arms and getting into a better impact position (better lag etc) rather than my old OTT swing. Last nights lesson focussed on: - slightly widening my stance, - taking the club away more on plane as I have a tendancy to bring it to the inside - Extending through the follow through down the line Happy with how things are coming, can notice a definite improvement in distance when I get it right (7i is now my standard 150m club where as it used to be my 6i was my 150m club). Anyway just an update for me as much as anything else. If anyone does have any input on the left wrist pain though I'd be happy to hear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users