• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 kaitan

kaitan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hi Guys, Just wondering can anyone pitch in the cost of membership in sydney? I live in chatswood so the nearest is pymble,avondale,killara,wakehurst. I have rang all the clubs and some of them said they will email me the cost and the memership structure but none has come true yet. I play single figures 3 years ago and now I want to get back into it again. I'm under 30. Maybe there are discounts ? Thanks

#2 epamis

epamis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Wakehurst and Killara have their membership fees on the website although you may be able to get the joining fee reduced for being under 30.

#3 GolfGopher

GolfGopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

Traffic wise might be just as quick to also look at the coast and st michaels. Of course it will cost u tolls in the tunnel and ED but shldnt be longer than 30 mins in peak times!

#4 pt73

pt73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

You should book an appointment with the general manager of each club and they will explain the process, costs etc. Ringing and asking to be emailed info could be taken as tire kicking, making an appointment shows you're interested plus they get to see you in the flesh.

#5 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13052 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

Wise words pt73. $$$'s is obviously not a prob. Kaitan,, you obviously forgot Chatswood itself, then there is Pennant Hills, Nth Ryde, Gordon (nah forget that one), Lane Cove, (mmmm probably not) Good luck with Pymble, Killara and Avondale.

#6 JJK

JJK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Cromer and Monash, both easy driving from Chatswood, have deals going at the moment or did have before Christmas and I think are still current. Give the General Managers a call for further details and ask for a 'try before you buy' round before making any decisions.

#7 kaitan

kaitan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

I have not included chatswood as it's not a full fledge club. Over the years I've played on a few course and I found that Courses in sydney is quite short, as I originally came from WA and I was a member of Joondalup. On the blue tees average course length are 6100meter and above. Here I struggle to find above 6000 unless you play of the Black which most clubs wont allow as it's for comps only. I have initiated to meet with their GM, but they have said that the GMill give me a ring to set up an appointment. I heard that Wakehurt has a long waiting list. I like wakehurst as there is nice view. I have not played in pymble killara. Anyone care to bring me in to have a social round with them? :D

#8 epamis

epamis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

Pymble has an open day on Monday but you will need a Golflink Handicap.

#9 Theguru

Theguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

Terrey Hills has no waiting list and plenty of memberships for sale. Now is a great time to buy one and the course is well over 6000m of the blues and about 6600m off the blacks

#10 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Terrey Hills has no waiting list and plenty of memberships for sale. Now is a great time to buy one and the course is well over 6000m of the blues and about 6600m off the blacks

How much are they these days? Would still have to be mid $20k to join?

#11 Theguru

Theguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

New 65k, second hand low 30's (maybe lower if you're lucky). Second hand down from 50k few years ago ie great time to buy one

#12 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Agree with PT73, all will be happy to meet up. Whilst Theguru is a strong advocate for Terrey Hills, the fact you were looking for an under 30 discount would seem to take it off the table, dollar wise. Whilst probably most would agree its in the top 2/3 courses on the Nth Side with a fantastic practice area I have always found the clubhouse to have the atmosphere of a hospital waiting room. Whether this factors into your decision, i don't know. I am not aware of what Avondale do in regard to under 30s but as a club they are stronger financially than Pymble and Killara (to my knowledge), potentially the discounting if any is less. I have mates at Pymble and Killara and am biased towards the former, however living in Chatswood (assuming you stay), Killara is the easy option.

#13 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

How much to buy a membership? Is that with no further annual fees to be paid ever?

#14 JuanFuego

JuanFuego

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Ive played Avondale and Killara recently, and id be taking Avondale over the two. Killara has too many trees, and was really boggy due to the lack of sun the course receives. I was having to pick my drives up from the middle of the fairway (GUR due to wetness), and move them to the side of the fairway (dry spot) to play my second. Avondale has the driving range, which is appealing. I found Avondale to be a little short though, with a few par 4's being well and truly driveable for a low handicapper. I did play Manly recently, and the new 18 is very nice indeed. The previous layout was boring, but the new course is more of a resort style layout with course management being a premium. Id be looking at Manly in that mid tier price range.

#15 JuanFuego

JuanFuego

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

In relation to the "too many trees" at Killara comment, they apparently have permission from council to remove approx 1200 trees to allow more sun onto the fairways and reduce the boggyness. So that should help, but when that is happening, who knows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users