Teetime Specials

• Devilbend Golf Club - Thu & Fri $35 incl cart!!
    For only $35pp 18holes incl cart. Book quick for this great deal!!
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $49 (Save 44%) (WAS $89.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart
  • Trafalgar Golf Club - $25 (Save 0%) (WAS $25.0)
    18 Holes Walking $40 for cart hire at the club
  • Phillip Island Golf Club - $38 (Save 0%) (WAS $38.0)
    18 Holes Walking
  • Drouin Golf
    18 Holes Walking
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
Photo

golf club set opinion/help

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 putterman

putterman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Hi, first time poster here. I am currently in the market in upgrading my old clubs. Im only really a intermediate player, just play for the love of the game Im looking at 3 golf club sets at the moment. 1- greg norman shark platinum set. Sells for around $250 on ebay, or the huter set is $500 at golf box. 2- maxfli python set. 3- ts tour torch set by srixon. Has anyone played with any of these sets at all? Would love to know your thoughts. I will post url of the club sets when im next on a computer. Currently on phone.

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10763 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

Putterman, I'm no expert on clubs, but those sets sound like they're just cheap junk. Might be ok for a starter set. You say you just play for the love of the game. If you don't have that burning desire to improve, then any old clubs will probably do. You can still play golf with them and you might be happy doing so. But, if you're like the rest of us, go and get fitted for your next set. I'm not referring to a sports goods store 'fitting', but a proper fitting with a fitter of good repute. Tell the forum what area you live in and someone will know of a good fitter that you can get to. At least go and make the enquiry, get prices, etc. Then you can make an informed decision on which path you wish to take.

#3 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12082 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

putterman, I use a set of shark, bought them second hand from a 10 handicapper. My days of drastic improvement are way gone but I find they serve me well. You will find enough conflicting opinions on right and wrong clubs on ISG to do you head, but the factor that determines most equipment purchases is your own expectations for the game, how far do you want to go and what is your budget.

#4 GP Pro-Golf

GP Pro-Golf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Putterman, firstly welcome. You really have a couple of options. If you plan to upgrade your set after a year or 2 of playing, opt for the cheaper packages. If you are wanting something better quality then look at a discontinued brand name product. If you are looking at GolfBox, there are products like the Burner 1.0 and the Callaway X22 that are available in packages. Old models but still good technology that will see you through. In all honesty, package sets will get you started but you'll be required to upgrade again within a year or 2. More importantly, make sure that the set are the right length and flex for you as well. Where are you located?

#5 putterman

putterman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for your feedback guys. Im in perth, upper swan area. I have been playing with a set of forgans. So any set will be an upgrade to them. Have had this set for over 8years. I have a pretty good slice to the right. These im looking at seem to have a high forgiveness and help to straighten shots. My budget is quite low. Thats why i was looking at these. Below are 2 of the sets. First link is the python set. Second is the tour torch set. Im heading more for the tour torch set Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.co...id=150972049074 Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.co...id=181053079281

#6 putterman

putterman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Below are 2 of the sets. First link is the python set. Second is the tour torch set. Im heading more for the tour torch set Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.co...id=150972049074 Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.co...id=181053079281 Hope these links work.

#7 Duck Trot

Duck Trot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1217 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Links just go to the bays homepage putterman. The only advice I'll give is when I started golf i bought the srixon TS set for about $550 from house of golf, 8 months later i upgraded and sold them 2nd hand for $80. These types of sets have no resale value whatsoever and was money down the drain for me. You have the right theory in looking for a more forgiving set to straighten you out, but the shaft is just as important when it comes to control, so dont skim over that without thought. Might be better value going and getting a club fitting from a professional (usually costs $50-60 give or take) and then knowing your exact specs buy a 2nd hand set in great condition off the bay. Will likely end up cheaper overall and definitely better value imo Goodluck

#8 putterman

putterman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Thanks lefty. If you search the long number at end of link on ebay you should get to the item.

#9 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

Putterman I second gpprogolfs' recommendation. You would be much better off finding a superseded (by several years) set belonging to a name brand than these budget models. You can still get plenty of older ex demo sets off Callaway's official second had website. http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/ Had a quick look, Diable Edge in 'Like new' condition for $240 (that's 5-PW) plus delivery. Bargain price for a great club. A five year old set of ex demo Callaways/Taylormade's will do you much better than a brand new budget brand.

#10 ACCA

ACCA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

hi putterman i use diablo edge irons and they are great. Very forgiving clubs and for that price you can not go wrong mate . welcome to Isg.

#11 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

Putterman, welcome aboard mate, this might sound a little left field but right now you just need some sticks with a decent grip and a good head. Regular play and some good guidance will set you on the right path more than a better quality club in hand at this stage. If you get something you feel comfortable for 200-300 then well and good. if the bug really bites in a year or two then go out with a bigger budget in mind and go crazy. Good luck with it all

#12 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18982 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:27 AM

Putterdude When i saw this thread a while ago my thoughts where "junk gear" Most here have already confirmed that You have come to the right place for a chat re gear so enjoy your time here an good luck with your golf Kiwi

#13 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

HG???

#14 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Maybe consider where your at. A lot of the equipment suggested is good quality and most likely will give you a return in $ but I think you need to evaluate your needs. Firstly your cost. Does your renewal require putter, driver, hybrid and bag? A lot of the suggestions are for irons only....good irons but still. Maybe a half set will suit you better. If your a social player getting use to 7 clubs rather than 14 may be a help. Some low hcp players have stated they didn't move to full sets until on single figures. Packages at Golfworld, although not quality brand name sets, often come with bag, putter, hybrid,etc and are within your price range. They will also be new. By the time they look tacky you'll probably have enough knowledge on what quality sticks you want then. After all would you learn to drive in a Lamborgini or something that'll teach you how to drive. Just my thoughts. Also a few years on here and you'll probably want Mizunos ;)

#15 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2440 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Putterman, Drop us an email I know a few really good pro's in your area I can refer you to, wo fits most brands and build them to your specs for you. If your going to invest in new clubs, invest in getting fitted properly. These guys should be able to get you into the right combo with in your price range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users