• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mark0

Mark0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

Hi All I have been looking for some new irons for a month or so, I was really keen on Burner 2 or 3's which I can get for about $350-$399 or Burner OS for $399. I have done a lot of reading on all the clubs and I see they are a game improvement club, I don't really know what My handicap is I am a beginner that's starting to get right into it, My last game for example I got +23 (and I got +5 on the last 9) shows how bad my first 9 was. I currently have a 9 year old set of Fireform 2000 clubs which are just some cheap knock offs. Anyone got recommendations on these clubs own them use them, if so whats your handicap ? I have a Burner Driver and Like that.

#2 no_brainer

no_brainer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

I just went through getting new clubs (completely different set of circumstances but the theory still applies). Go to you nearest major outlet and hit as many brands and styles as you can that are within your budget. Don't go in with preconceived ideas. You ideally want a set that has room to grow so anything that is in the 'Game Improvement'area will be about right. I had for the last 5 years a set of Powerbilt Clubs and they were great, very consistent nice to hit. They allowed my game to develop to the point where I have now out-grown them (hence the new clubs) For me after trialing most brands and a number of models within each I came out choosing Cobra AMPs. So they get a thumbs up from me. At the end of the day get fitted and take your time and you will be rewarded. Don't feel any pressure from anyone to go for a set brand or model. Happy hunting

#3 Robinator

Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

After persevering with a crappy starter set I decided to buy new irons and went with the Burner OS. The OS stands for oversize, but, the heads are smaller than my previous set and much lighter. They only came as 5-PW so the guy threw in a Burner 2.0 4 iron. After two rounds with them I am very happy with my decision. They are very forgiving and I hit them further and straighter than my old set. I played comp yesterday and shot my personal best of 90 off 25 (24 now) to win my first club comp.

#4 arc87

arc87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:40 AM

Me and one of my mates have been playing for 2-3 months now and he started with the taylormade rbz quite A nice set easy to hit. I think they are end of models as well so might get them cheap. I started with Cleveland cg16 nice clubs but not as forgiving. I'm thinking of giving the taylormade rocket blades ago something with bait more meat.

#5 Liv4golf

Liv4golf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:07 AM

I picked up a set of used but mint Ap2's on ebay for $350. previously played with Cougars and the difference is amazing. Bit of a risk buying online but it payed off, just make sure you know what you want and watch out for fakes. They are forgiving enough for a mid handicapper but you really feel like they will allow you to take your game to the next level.

#6 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18920 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

mizuno

#7 NAGA_MiCK™

NAGA_MiCK™

Favorite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5108 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

what he said ^

#8 2Putts

2Putts

Rescue User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6154 posts
  • LocationShlarba

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

the shiniest ones.

#9 Mububban

Mububban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1587 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

After two rounds with them I am very happy with my decision. They are very forgiving and I hit them further and straighter than my old set. I played comp yesterday and shot my personal best of 90 off 25 (24 now) to win my first club comp.

Congrats! Longer and straighter, definitely a good choice then. Glad you're enjoying them and not suffering from buyer's remorse :-)

#10 Mark0

Mark0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

cheers guys I am stuck between the Burner 3, Burner os or RBz's atm, RBZ are still about and extra 150 and I am concerned about all the feedback on how hard the 4 and 5 are to hit, I might go see if I can hits some at the shop.

#11 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18920 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

cheers guys I am stuck between the Burner 3, Burner os or RBz’s atm,
RBZ are still about and extra 150 and I am concerned about all the feedback on how hard the 4 and 5 are to hit, I might go see if I can hits some at the shop.

Hitting in the shop won't tell you much. Better outside so you can see ball flight & trajectory. Demo days/nights are a far better indication if those irons but more importantly the shafts are correct for you

#12 Mark0

Mark0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

well I bought some new (but old) burner 1.0, I got them at a very cheap price, got a tailormade bag, shoes and buggy all very cheap, so I am happy with what I got, I am toeing the ball so I need to work on it, I didn't get fitted as we looked at, seen what I was doing with the irons but I need to better my action then get them adjusted if needed, which we think I wont need to do much. I went for the 1.0 as I don't have a problem getting the ball in the air and I felt the burner 2 and 3's may not last as long as the 1's if I improve, but lets see if I improve :) so the long journey begins the bring my handicap down :)

#13 Robinator

Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Sounds like you got a good deal MarkO. To be honest in my opinion the Burner 1.0, 2.0, Burner + and Burner OS are pretty much the same. Good luck with lowering the handicap.

#14 Mark0

Mark0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

Cheers Dannym I had my first game with them today, hit 1 less then the last time I played but I have to get used to the feel of them and i think I can get into the teens pretty quick, I got a 23 over last time and a 22 this time, but a lot of shots I have topped I can fix.

#15 Django

Django

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Mark0 I would consider adding a 3 or 4 Hybrid if I were you, easier to hit and control than the equivalent irons with some extra distance to boot :)

#16 Mark0

Mark0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

yer I will start having a hit with a mates hybrid, the 4 iron at the moment is no that great, I don't have a 3. I am on the lookout as well for a tm burner 1 or 2 SW as I am still using my Fireform one and still using Fireform putter.

#17 JADO75

JADO75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

May have some Titleist 712 ap2's with ns pro regs if you're interested?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users