• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HuntingBirdies

HuntingBirdies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

Hi all, looking for a bit of feedback on my swing (video link below). Having only gotten serious about golf around 9 months ago, I've been playing with my swing a bit to try and improve consistency and fix my natural fade. So far improving pretty quickly but don't want to fall into bad habits. No official handicap as yet but would be around 20 based on recent scores. Any feedback or recommended drills would be great. Hoping to get down to 16 or so in the next 6-12 months. Cheers, Sam.

#2 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4192 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

Sam, I love your potential but get professional help quickly. You are not a natural fader you are a chronic slicer. If you don't learn to turn the club through the ball with your body turn you will be on 20 for ever. You will be on 2 in 2 years with a rhythmical swing. You are trying to hold the clubface square. It has to wrap around the ball from an inside angle of approach. You need someone to watch you learn this. Your own feel and instinct is worse than useless - it is damaging.

#3 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4487 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

On the backswing, you're tilting instead of turning. Losing spine angle is a result. Then on the way down casting the club too early. Possible OTT.

#4 HuntingBirdies

HuntingBirdies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for the honest feedback guys. Looks like my next step is to find a good pro and have a few lessons. Cheers, Sam.

#5 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4192 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Sam, Great. Stick with the Pro for a couple of years as often as you want to afford. Once every three months @ $120/Hr works out at $1.30/day. Let him know your plan so it puts the pressure on him to perform.

#6 HuntingBirdies

HuntingBirdies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Thanks @TheDart. I managed to get in for a lesson tomorrow night with my local PGA Pro. Having never had a golf lesson, I'm not too sure what to expect but am certainly excited at the prospect of being able to improve my swing and start lowering my scores. Cheers, Sam.

#7 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4487 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

Once every three months @ $120/Hr works out at $1.30/day.
Is that what you suggest for a player of his current ability. One lesson every 3 months? Wouldn't he would need a few lessons in those 3 months so the pro can see if he is making he right progress.

#8 HuntingBirdies

HuntingBirdies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

Well, had my first lesson today and thoroughly enjoyed it. We started off talking about my golf history and my current goals before taking some video of my swing on the range and in the chipping area. After that, the main focus for this lesson was correcting my posture at address by adding some spine tilt and getting me setup straight. Then we worked on developing a pre shot routine for me to follow religiously. Already seeing some improvement which will only progress as I get used to the new setup. Booked in another 3 lessons over the next few weeks to work on other areas. My instructor is very confident he can get me scoring much lower in the not too distant future which is encouraging. Cheers, Sam.

#9 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4192 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:58 AM

Once every three months @ $120/Hr works out at $1.30/day.

Is that what you suggest for a player of his current ability. One lesson every 3 months?

Wouldn’t he would need a few lessons in those 3 months so the pro can see if he is making he right progress.

Danz, If he can afford more, great. The key advise was to stick around for a couple of years. The committal to the long term relationship is worth heaps and not expensive.

#10 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4192 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

Well, had my first lesson today and thoroughly enjoyed it. We started off talking about my golf history and my current goals before taking some video of my swing on the range and in the chipping area.

After that, the main focus for this lesson was correcting my posture at address by adding some spine tilt and getting me setup straight. Then we worked on developing a pre shot routine for me to follow religiously.

Already seeing some improvement which will only progress as I get used to the new setup.

Booked in another 3 lessons over the next few weeks to work on other areas. My instructor is very confident he can get me scoring much lower in the not too distant future which is encouraging.

Cheers, Sam.

Sam, That is good but try for a long term plan to reinforce the lessons. They are very easy to unlearn. Cheap insurance. No one learns anything in a month. I takes years.

#11 HuntingBirdies

HuntingBirdies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

Will do, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users