17 replies to this topic

#1 TeeBull

TeeBull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Hi guys, I am a beginner to golf and have played a game a week for the last few weeks as well as evening practice on my practice hole I made in my back paddock. Prob practiced three nights a week just chipping/pitching. I have been getting sore ankles and wonder if this is normal for a beginner? I think it may be my swing and if so does this mean I am getting my feet wrong at address? Could very well be over use with no warm up too ...

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12746 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

With your recent venture into golf, are you now spending a lot more time on your feet than you did before?

#3 TeeBull

TeeBull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

I would say yesOldBogey although being a landscaper I am pretty active and clock up a lot of Kms a week anyhow. It does seem to be more evident when I wake up in the morning and top of foot and ankles feel slightly swollen/tingly

#4 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20124 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Teebull one of the main things golfers try and save coin on is golf shoes if you buy cheap **** you can really pay for it with feet issues, im not saying you are a tight arse as you own your own business (did i read that somewhere??) any way good shoes really are very important. Foot joys are sposed to be mighty fine me i have 360 adidas and some ecco's all good shoes

#5 TeeBull

TeeBull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Cheers Kiwi Yes I do own my own business however not a wealthy guy so budget would be important. I really do like the appearance of the Nike heritage shoes. They are only $90 as I think they are an older model. Has anyone had any experience with these shoes?

#6 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4508 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

Get good shoes (footjoys are very comfy) and drink plenty of water. My feet get sore towards the end of 18 if I don't drink enough water.

#7 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20124 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Cheers Kiwi
Yes I do own my own business however not a wealthy guy so budget would be important.
I really do like the appearance of the Nike heritage shoes. They are only $90 as I think they are an older model.

Has anyone had any experience with these shoes?

“Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps”
Tiger Woods

$90 shoes will give you plenty of pain way to cheap and nike wouldnt have the best name for comfort. footjoy are the king of comfert. try the Golf Clearance outlet for new but old stock shoes try fergo golf shop to, Churchill Golf, he is a pro in the USA from oz has lots of deals on footjoy search fergo golf in the threads here. happy shopping

#8 TeeBull

TeeBull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

Cheers guys will deffinatley lean towards footjoy and also plenty of water thanks dans

#9 CARE

CARE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

Your body including feet will be a little stiff n sore due to movements and pressures that its not used to, no matter how fit n active you are. Especially the bones n ligaments in your feet n ankles. Your body will adapt and become more tolerant so to speak and the soreness wont be much of an issue after a month or so. A foot spa with a hard massage adapter is good to use occasionally. Ronson Ultimate Foot Spa has a good attachment. In my op good golf shoes all the while being good for your play will create more resistance therefore more stresses. Look after yourself and the soreness period will be over before you know it. Best of luck, picked a great sport!

#10 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4196 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

When I was 14 I played tennis, cricket, rugby league, hand ball. The first time I played golf I got sore feet. Like you I was surprised but it just a different activity. You will soon become golf fit. Couple of rounds.

#11 TeeBull

TeeBull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Got a little money from my old man for Chrisy. Went down to the local pro shop and tried on some shoes and walked out with a pair of footjoy contour series. Wow they have to be the nicest feeling shoes I have graced my feet with in my life. Lets see how they go next Thursday at Wentworth falls golf club. Thank you for your input guys I appreciate that my feet will need to get into the groove of golf.

#12 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

Whats making them sore is the ligaments are stretching a bit.. R.I.C.E rest then ice ...Elevate ..Repeat for a week or two. Walking on soft beach sand is the best exercise for strengthening the ankles and ligaments in the foot area. Swinging a golf club isnt a natrual movement - beginners will experience some body reaction to it.

#13 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20124 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Got a little money from my old man for Chrisy. Went down to the local pro shop and tried on some shoes and walked out with a pair of footjoy contour series. Wow they have to be the nicest feeling shoes I have graced my feet with in my life. Lets see how they go next Thursday at Wentworth falls golf club.

Thank you for your input guys I appreciate that my feet will need to get into the groove of golf.

“Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps”
Tiger Woods

All good mate Remember they may be comfy but are still new shoes

#14 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

Puma shoes I bought were good out of the box ...They have a heal cup that contours to the heal - no slipping which causes most blisters. Have 2 pairs of pumas now and will stock up on same model when they are replaced by new models. Usa ebay has heaps of 2011-2012 models going cheap

#15 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20124 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Puma shoes I bought were good out of the box …They have a heal cup that contours to the heal – no slipping which causes most blisters.

Have 2 pairs of pumas now and will stock up on same model when they are replaced by new models. Usa ebay has heaps of 2011-2012 models going cheap

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. Winston Churchill

Links and h-cap please

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users