• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 Derpom

Derpom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

I am very rapidly coming up to pension age. And what iget will not allow me tontinue being a member of my current golf club. The fees are just too high and i just cant afford them. I am looking at a country golf club membership to reduce the cost of funds. I find that i can no longer afford the comp fees, which seem to go up everytime you break wind, plus the membership dues, its just not worth being a member of a club anymore. This will not stop me playing, not at all, but it will be as a social player with no handicap which limits my playing overseas, if i ever go, or othe golf clubs. This is a sad fact of growing old. Is there anybody else out there in the same boat as me. As for getting new gear, good old eBay is the only way because i cannot afford Australian prices anymore, hey i buy used balls and clubs, thats how bad its become. Its sad because i loved being part of a club.

#2 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1845 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:29 AM

How can you afford to go overseas to play golf when you can't afford comp fees?

#3 jme75

jme75

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

Sport is expensive, but if you want to compete you better yourself to find a way. I've come from motorsport (still compete) which makes golf look cheap. I've gone without things, I've worked extra jobs, started businesses, traded, begged, borrowed... If you want something - make it happen. The game isn't going to get cheaper. You've just gotta find the coin. Like you said, the trade off might be playing socially less often, but as you get older getting out and about, having interests and staying active seem important from what I have observed. Maybe the money is well spent?

#4 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1717 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

No reason you can't have a handicap with the RACV Golf Membership. And there are plenty of cheap and cheerful places to play all over Australia. It might involve a bit of travelling but isn't that half the fun of retirement?

#5 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1359 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

Derpom..... you obviously love the game of golf. If I was in your situation I would never part from the club golf until I was convinced that I was no longer competitive in the club competitions. You MUST look to make sacrifices in your living standards and more importantly forget the updating of equipment at your age. Seriously if you love playing club golf make it happen. Forget about your financial feelings and go out and enjoy.

#6 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

How can you afford to go overseas to play golf when you can’t afford comp fees?

This ^ There are plenty of other options out there besides throwing in comp golf entirely. Most clubs that I know have reduced cost for seniors anyway so you may find the membership will be coming down regardless. Unless you're a member at some fancy "royal" club.

#7 Palmeister

Palmeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

Don`t have to play twice a week, Go to range once a week 10 dollar bucket, Play every 2-3 weeks, Throw 20 dollars a week aside for this.Maybe cut back on beers wines every day, if that is cutting in Golf money too.New Golf balls have never been cheaper Srixons 20 a dozen.Don`t have to use a Titleist.

#8 OOBS

OOBS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:58 AM

I'm also about to end my involvement with the game but for slightly different reasons. My health is the issue for me and I can't see anything changing for the better anytime soon. Assuming you are reasonable fit and healthy, I recommend you do whatever you can to stay at your club. If that means having to downsize your membership category for example, so that you only play mid week, it beats no membership. Being retired, you need the exercise that golf provides because it's all too easy just to sit back, relax and change the channel via the remote. Then there's the social interaction which playing at a club provides. Maybe you could cut back in other areas of your weekly expenditure by weighing up the importance of certain non-essentials. Joining a club in the country might save you money in terms of membership subs, but think about the cost of getting there and back each week. It will probably be more expensive in the long run, especially if you play more than once a week. Think carefully before ditching your club, you may regret the decision.

#9 deepdivot

deepdivot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1270 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:12 AM

Maybe selling the house and moving further out maybe an option, house prices are cheaper and golf memberships too. I dont claim to know ur circumstances but I have lost count of the pensioners I deal with who complain about the bill but are living in $800k+ homes. My wife and i love to remind her parents that with their house paid off and in the pension that they are better off than a low income earner with a wife and kids to support and pay rent.

#10 OOBS

OOBS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

You're spot on Divot. So many people of pension age are "asset rich" and struggle just to pay the rates. There are many good towns in country areas where you can buy a terrific house for under $300K and that includes a decent sized block. Why so many older people insist on trying to hang onto their overpriced homes is beyond me. Maybe they want to leave the kids a large inheritance. I live by the S K I philosophy and hope to eventually pass away with a zero bank balance. He who dies with the least - wins, assuming they've enjoyed their lives. On the off chance that Derpom isn't in his own home, please disregard all of the above and consider bowls!!!

#11 Tolmij

Tolmij

WAITING FOR PEMISSION TO POST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16027 posts
  • LocationCommish will tell me when

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

Derpom, you have come to the wrong place with that question. I know exactly where you are, it was suggested to me cut back on luxuries. We don't eat out We don't smoke We don't drink We have taken up hobbies that cost very little I don't play comp, initially because I could not put up with the attitude but now because it would double the cost of my annual financial commitment. We put away my fees monthly but have problems when they suddenly raise the annual subscription. You don't have to play club comp to be involved, a small group of us have our own comp, we abide by the rules and take it as seriouse as the club run comps, not only that but we don't cheat on each other which was one of my contentions in the club comps. It's very easy to say in retirement your better off than a low paid family, it's easy to say you have not put enough away for retirement, it's also easy to say move to a cheaper house. quite honestly these are all stupid statements from individuals that have their heads in the clouds. When you are on a fixed income like most retirees and prices continue to rise something has to go, unfortunately for rational thinking ppl it is usually golf, eating **** food is not an option if you want to stay healthy. We play socia,l the social handicap suggested by D4S is a good alternative I have talked to golfers that have done it and they are very happy with it. The main point is to still keep playing however you have to do it, I enjoy my golf, I am my strongest critic on playing standard and will continue to play however it has to be. Deep divot, if my son said that to me he would be hobbling away with a golf club where the monkey stuffs his nuts.

#12 The ComMuntish

The ComMuntish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8792 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:05 AM

Downsize to a Veterans membership, play one comp a week and as many other mid week rounds as you like. PLUS,,,, you can still play in Open comps at other clubs in the area. If you can't afford that and comp fees once a week as a minimum, Chipshot is right, you have not planned very well.

#13 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

Some unbelievable comments in this thread. Merry Xmas huh?

#14 Tolmij

Tolmij

WAITING FOR PEMISSION TO POST

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16027 posts
  • LocationCommish will tell me when

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:24 AM

Financial devastation happens sometimes out of the blue. Midweek membership is ok if it exists my club has recently cancelled it.

#15 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:24 AM

I've thought of a small thing that may help. As a son I always have problems with what to buy my parents every year for xmas. I'm sure many do. Maybe put the word out that from now on you'd prefer that any presents from Children / Grandkids are just direct payments to your club account? Sure as hell would make it easy for me as a child, and I'd be happy knowing I was helping my dad stay healthy. And... it would be damn easy choosing a present every year :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users