• Please log in to reply
283 replies to this topic

#1 tsdean

tsdean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

Hi all, Just came back from watching the PGA at Coolumn. This is the first time I've really seen touring pro's hit golf balls.I was blown away at how different their ball flight is from most amature's. I currently play off a 3HC and thought I hit the ball well. But one thing I noticed was how low and penetrating they hit it. Even how the ball falls out of the air looks different. Their ball flight zooms off at a very low trajectory(especially wedges) and seems to climb in the air and fall left or right. My flight is much higher initially and has a constant curvature to it right from the outset. This really made me think Im not swinging the club entirely correct.?? Is it a simple case of striving for more shaft lean and put more backspin on the ball? I tried striving for more shaft lean but i run out of right arm very fast and hit the ball weak and right. Anyhow, not sure if im chasing my tail here and getting to caught up in somthing not overly important or is it an indication my swing isnt all what i thought it was?..

#2 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4407 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

Your swing is the problem. These guys use a different technique which produces a late hit, a pinched contact and loft staying down for at least a foot past the ball. The result is a controlled lower and longer ball flight which falls out of the sky with little run.

#3 hAcKpRo

hAcKpRo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4738 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

post a swing of you

#4 TheDart

TheDart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4192 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

ts, Don't be put off, you are doing well but these guys are doing a lot better. You may also not run even time for 100 mtrs or high jump 2 1/2 mtrs. Zenolink shows me that although you may be swinging at the same KPH as some of them your degrees per second of club shaft release is about half theirs. They get around 1900 DPS, you would be flat out getting 900 and your arms might be about the same. All of my screens show even scratch markers are moving their arms and shoulders faster than the shaft. They play pretty good but would loose their shirt to a real golfer. The correct release of arms and club fired by the body produce the max compression for the lowest velocity. You will notice they seem to be moving slowly for the ball speed they get. If you put your swing up you will see obtuse angles not acute. If not between the arms and shaft, the shoulders and shaft. Like in open shoulders and shut shaft about hip high. I hope that is somewhat understandable if not doable.

#5 tsdean

tsdean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the replies, Dart your post is somewhat understandable. I noticed the pro's seemed very slow through the impact area. They seemed to stay down through impact twice as long as your average joe. Regarding the angles you mentioned, what do you mean by open shoulders and shut shaft?

#6 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2470 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

TSDean, This will help you understand what dart means Club Release Tour players have a more effective kinetic link than the average golfer, as a result they have better lag or angular speed which increases club release speed, which increases their ball compression and ball speed. You can have 2 guys with the same swing path speed of 100mph and hit the ball different distances and have different compression of the ball. One guy he has a release speed of 1000 degrees per second, the other guy has a release speed of 1800 degrees. The guy with 1800 will compress the ball more increasing his ball speed and spin. His ball would go 30 yards further than the guy with 1000 degrees per second. The guy with 1800 DPS club release essentially has an over ball better kinetic link he is delievering more of the speed and power he produces at the point of impact.

#7 SprintingGoat

SprintingGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

I love how this site manages to trace every single golfing question back to kinetic link. I think you'll find it has more to do with spin loft. Pros combine shallow angle of attack with decent forward shaft lean at impact. essentially, their hands are moving 'up and in' whist the club head is moving 'down and out' at impact. less spin loft = greater 'compression'.

#8 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4407 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

You are wrong mate. The feet and legs power the pivot which powers the shoulders which swing the arms to which the club is attached. The hands grip the club so they are part of the club. It is how we use the body that gets the clubhead on the ball that gets the result.

#9 SprintingGoat

SprintingGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

Was that directed at me Raz?

#10 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2470 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

You are wrong mate. The feet and legs power the pivot which powers the shoulders which swing the arms to which the club is attached. The hands grip the club so they are part of the club. It is how we use the body that gets the clubhead on the ball that gets the result.

The man who hits at the ball rather than through it has no sense of rhythm.
Secrets of the Master – The Best of Bobby Jones

+1, Great post Razaar :)

#11 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4407 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

Was that directed at me Raz?

Yes mate, the bottom line is technique which relates to how we use our body. The limbs are included in body. I know what you mean, it is just that the contact that these pros get originates in the feet and explodes in the clubhead collision with the pill. If you have noticed Davis Love's walk, there is a real bounce from the balls of his feet and instep. This is the bounce that these guys feel during the swing only that it is directed laterally by the same foot muscles. It has been described as the ground moving under the feet during weight shift.

#12 SprintingGoat

SprintingGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

I'd love to hear you describe how i am "wrong" about reduced spin loft and compression. You'll get no argument from me about efficient sequencing resulting in increased club head speed.... but that's not what the OP was inquiring about. The query was around 'pro' trajectory - i.e. lower with the short irons, greater distance for any given club versus an amateur with similar club head speed, etc. and the answer to that is almost purely swing mechanics and in particular, hand path... you can have the greatest sequencing on earth, light up every kinetic link measuring device on the planet and have elite level club head speed at impact.. but if your angle of attack is steep, you ain't getting 'pro' ball flight.. and the pros will hit it further than you. The low point of the hands in the swings of pros happens well before impact (around about when they pass the rear leg from a front on view)... by the time the club head hits the ball, the hands are travelling up... this results in a reduction in attack angle, which combined with forward shaft lean, in turn results in less spin loft for any given club... in other words, less 'glancing' blow... or more 'flush' contact... or higher smash factor... whatever you choose to call it. So i'm keen to hear how i am "wrong"... and feel free to use something a little more tangible than the bounce in Davis Love's walk.

#13 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2470 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:50 AM

I’d love to hear you describe how i am “wrong” about reduced spin loft and compression.

You’ll get no argument from me about efficient sequencing resulting in increased club head speed…. but that’s not what the OP was inquiring about.

The query was around ‘pro’ trajectory – i.e. lower with the short irons, greater distance for any given club versus an amateur with similar club head speed, etc.

and the answer to that is almost purely swing mechanics and in particular, hand path… you can have the greatest sequencing on earth, light up every kinetic link measuring device on the planet and have elite level club head speed at impact.. but if your angle of attack is steep, you ain’t getting ‘pro’ ball flight.. and the pros will hit it further than you.

The low point of the hands in the swings of pros happens well before impact (around about when they pass the rear leg from a front on view)... by the time the club head hits the ball, the hands are travelling up… this results in a reduction in attack angle, which combined with forward shaft lean, in turn results in less spin loft for any given club… in other words, less ‘glancing’ blow… or more ‘flush’ contact… or higher smash factor… whatever you choose to call it.

So i’m keen to hear how i am “wrong”... and feel free to use something a little more tangible than the bounce in Davis Love’s walk.

Auh angle of attack it does not effect the ball compression either. Forward lean does not effect ball compression either. Forward lean nor angle of attack changes the amount of spin rate either. It can change the axis tilt of the ball although it does not change the amount of spin produce. All the angle of attack does is it can effect the direction of flight. Although if the Vertical plane and vertical face match this counsels out the effects of the angle of attack you get square delivery of speed at the ball. Tour tour players already have good compression, the squarer the collision the more energy is imparted on the ball. The straighter the ball travels the further it goes. The aim is for a perfect horizontal spin axis. Tsdean could got an improve his angle of attack and I bet any money he will not get the same trajectory as a tour player does. This explains how to get optimal distance and ball flight Club dynamics

#14 SprintingGoat

SprintingGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

you contradict yourself... angle of attack doesn't affect compression... then... the squarer the collision, the more energy is imparted on the ball. which one is it? i'll give you a clue.... the steeper the angle of attack for any given club, the greater the spin loft.... as in... the less square the contact.

#15 SprintingGoat

SprintingGoat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

however, i am proud of you Zen... a whole post without mentioning the kinetic link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users