16 replies to this topic

#1 simonsez

simonsez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2986 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

I thought that this item from the NT News was worth a look. http://www.ntnews.co...991_ntnews.html Sounds to me as if he's yet another bloke with a "driver" personality;so not really his fault. Cut & paste from NT News A GREY nomad said he was banned for life from a Darwin golf club after winning too many trophies in the last golf championships. But Darwin Golf Club said Darrell Horn, 64, was just a sore winner. "He can go play somewhere else," president Bruce Sampson said. "It's bad form to visit a club, win everything and then bag them out." Mr Horn, of Brisbane, won the 2007 Queensland Vet Open Championship and made it into the top five of the BMW finals in 2004 and Volvo finals in 2005. He said his handicap had increased from nine to 20 after he suffered from a heart attack and then had to undergo a double bypass surgery in late 2009. But that didn't stop him from winning eight out of 10 trophies at the NT Opens. Mr Sampson said the Queenslander was barred from the Marrara green because he made "disparaging remarks about the members' attitudes toward outsiders" in front of sponsors and the board during his winning speech. But Mr Horn, who has been playing since 1980, said it was "constructive criticism".

#2 RobNewy

RobNewy

Fight the Fight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4796 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Burglar

#3 RobNewy

RobNewy

Fight the Fight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4796 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

If he can win 8 trophys he can play much better than 20

#4 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20018 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

shouldnt have been allowed to play in those shorts. tsk tsk tsk and those sandals.....

#5 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15430 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

Relaxed dress code up north Kiwi. different country.

#6 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2480 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Simon, Why are you so quick to judge this guy? If you only knew what this club is like you wouldn't be knocking this guy. Good on him for speaking up about them and about time. If you go up to Darwin ask them their reviews about the attitudes fo this club in how they treat people. I took action against them because they blacklisted 6 kids from being in the state team. They tried to force the kids to leave their coach and go with the state coach as their full time coach.They told the kids they won't be in the state team if they didn't change coaches. The kids refused to leave their coach so they were blacklisted from representing the N.T. Some of the kids were in tears over it, one girls dream was to be a pro and she was in tears. All those 6 kids earnt their spots from playing great golf. We eventually won the battle and the kids were back in the team, Sorry talk about calling the kettle black, they are calling bad form about Darrell,what about their form towards the kids. What they don't like is he is game to speak up about what the club is really like. About time as well. Good on you Darrell.

#7 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15430 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

Zen no different from many golf club committees.

#8 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2681 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

from the outside looking in it would seem this bloke is a burglar.....i would say good on the Darwin club for having the balls to do something about it. It appears this bloke has been able to manipulate his hcp and reap the benefits. 8 out of 10 trophies!!!!!........ I doubt if I've won that many in my life. He clearly has no conscience.....and probably less mates..

#9 OOBS

OOBS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

Many clubs have a sensible "one major trophy per player" policy for their important tournaments. This eliminates the possibility of someone doing as this person did, and cleaning up most of what was on offer. Things like NTP's and Long Drives etc can still be won by anyone, but generally speaking these are novelty prizes anyway. Also, most entry forms have a clause in them that states, "the club reserves the right to refuse an entry from anyone, without having to give a reason". This is a very wise move in light of the more litigious society in which we now live. As for Darrell's lack of manners during his acceptance speech in which he was critical of the club - this was hardly the time or place for negative comments. Better to have had a quiet chat to the organisers or club manager away from the spotlight.

#10 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2480 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

from the outside looking in it would seem this bloke is a burglar…..i would say good on the Darwin club for having the balls to do something about it. It appears this bloke has been able to manipulate his hcp and reap the benefits. 8 out of 10 trophies!!!!!........ I doubt if I’ve won that many in my life. He clearly has no conscience…..and probably less mates..

Consultancy….if you’re not part of the solution, there’s big bucks to be made prolonging the problem.

He had a frekin heart attack and took 12 months to recover, like any one your going to struggle with your golf after a good lay off, his body wouldn't be the same or moves the same. His handicap blew out to 20 as a result of it. He won 1 major trophy and 9 small trophies ntp etc It was a 2 day event there is a lot more trophies. He didn't deserve the intial treatment the club gave him, if they treated him better intially he wouldn't have made the comment. It's what so F----ked up in this country is very sore losers, people are so jealous of other people's success, they can't be happy for them instead they cut the person down for it. The guy gets his form back and has a win and get branded basically a cheat. FFS No one can be happy for him he found his form and got his golf game back and admire him for achieving that. Nope instead lets cut him down in flames instead. What a bunch of low lives. How they treated him was appauling.Good on him speaking up, they deserved it.

#11 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15430 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

It's not as if he is a young fellow either, the fact that he returned to play after a heart attack speaks volumes about the man. How many more years will he be able to play, he is making hay while the sun shines, don't blame him. Also as most of you have yet to find out, as you get older speaking out becomes more important, when you are constantly talked to as if you are a demented idiot the nerves start to fray. Age is not a disease, he and many others of our age group get very pissed off by the way we are treated. He spoke out as he saw fit, good on him.

#12 chinaalan

chinaalan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

I thought that this item from the NT News was worth a look.
http://www.ntnews.com.au/ar...
Sounds to me as if he’s yet another bloke with a “driver” personality;so not really his fault.
Cut & paste from NT News
A GREY nomad said he was banned for life from a Darwin golf club after winning too many trophies in the last golf championships.
But Darwin Golf Club said Darrell Horn, 64, was just a sore winner.
“He can go play somewhere else,” president Bruce Sampson said.
“It’s bad form to visit a club, win everything and then bag them out.”
Mr Horn, of Brisbane, won the 2007 Queensland Vet Open Championship and made it into the top five of the BMW finals in 2004 and Volvo finals in 2005.
He said his handicap had increased from nine to 20 after he suffered from a heart attack and then had to undergo a double bypass surgery in late 2009.
But that didn’t stop him from winning eight out of 10 trophies at the NT Opens.
Mr Sampson said the Queenslander was barred from the Marrara green because he made “disparaging remarks about the members’ attitudes toward outsiders” in front of sponsors and the board during his winning speech.
But Mr Horn, who has been playing since 1980, said it was “constructive criticism”.

Simonsez Any reason why this guys remarks were not cut and pasted together with the rest of the article. Wouldn't be trying to influence your audience would you ? :) . "I didn't go in with guns drawn but I had to say something," he said. He said the dispute began when his registration cards were "lost" during a couple of games before last year's NT Open. "They duped me out of winning," he said. "So when I won during the Open I told them it wasn't a bad club but they needed to look after visitors, not just the locals." The former Telstra employee has been staying in Humpty Doo on and off while travelling around the country since February 2008. He said he didn't know he had been blacklisted until he returned to play last month. "I got a phone call saying they didn't want me there - it's like a kangaroo court," he said. "I've had nothing in writing," he said. Mr Sampson said Mr Horn was not welcome back.

#13 jiminy

jiminy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

This has been an interesting read.......I am a member at Darwin GC since January this year. All I can say is firstly, the NT News is known to stretch the truth and sensationalise. Secondly, I play the comps twice a week and this story is news to me....I haven't heard a thing about this and that surprises me as stories like this have a tendency to spread like wildfire. Thirdly, I work in Sports Management and whilst not involved directly, I have watched from a distance the excellent support given to juniors at all levels at the club. They encourage and resource them as much as possible so am surprised by the comments of Zen in this regard (not saying they are not true - just surprised). Lastly, as mentioned, I am a new member and have loved my first 12 months and wish I had joined 3 years ago when I first landed up here. I have found the members and committee most welcoming and would recommend this club to any prospective member - Just my 2c worth.....

#14 TOLMIJ

TOLMIJ

Golf is great IMO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15430 posts
  • LocationSorry. IMHO

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

jiminy, the press can't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

#15 jiminy

jiminy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:17 AM

jiminy, the press can’t let the truth get in the way of a good story.

1ST RESERVE MODERATOR.( complimentary )
Recruited by madam, 10th December 2011 09:52.( when inebriated )

Troll inspector.( to make sure no one is better)

Gymnast, specialty double backflip.

Optional extra, speak with forked tounge

That is the NT News mantra - and they are proud of it :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users