17 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

Discussion for Gritty Senior takes second Aussie Open.

#2 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

it reminded me when Darren Clarke won the birtish open motto is short fat blokes are good when the **** weather is ablout - they dont get affected by the wind as much when swining the club there is no exact science to it

#3 Proulx

Proulx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

it reminded me when Darren Clarke won the birtish open

motto is short fat blokes are good when the **** weather is ablout – they dont get affected by the wind as much when swining the club there is no exact science to it

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. Winston Churchill

I disagree, I believe that Senior, and Clarke before him, were mentally stronger than the field. Full stop. Awesome effort.

#4 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2317 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

I was listening to one commentator this morning asked who in the field were the best players in the wind. They nominated Watson and Senior. They also predicted Senden would struggle because paying in the US he had developed a high ball flight which would get caught by the wind

#5 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

it reminded me when Darren Clarke won the birtish open

motto is short fat blokes are good when the **** weather is ablout – they dont get affected by the wind as much when swining the club there is no exact science to it

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. Winston Churchill

I disagree, I believe that Senior, and Clarke before him, were mentally stronger than the field. Full stop.

Awesome effort.

its fair point but looking at senoirs swing - it isnt long when its so windy the actualy swing gets of plane so easily but youre right experience is huge

#6 Palmeister

Palmeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Sendons ball flight useless type of wind. Senior played a smart round.Drove the ball perfect as it gets.All his green misses short front leaving chips up the green into the wind.Years of playing in similar winds his edge.Thought Jones knockdown iron to 18 the shot of the week.Senior just pops a gaybrid 3 iron onto the green.Same result with an effortless swing.Guy could win Coolum too with any wind around.Felt sorry for Rose every putt he hit got a wind gust.No one holed putts yesterday so long putter not really an issue even though 1st and 2nd.

#7 Travis8081

Travis8081

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

good to see the pros struggle for once!!

#8 simonsez

simonsez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2990 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Sendons ball flight useless type of wind. Senior played a smart round.Drove the ball perfect as it gets.All his green misses short front leaving chips up the green into the wind.Years of playing in similar winds his edge.Thought Jones knockdown iron to 18 the shot of the week.Senior just pops a gaybrid 3 iron onto the green.Same result with an effortless swing.Guy could win Coolum too with any wind around.Felt sorry for Rose every putt he hit got a wind gust.No one holed putts yesterday so long putter not really an issue even though 1st and 2nd.

A win around the corner
Then again,he could just be getting the yips.Same thing happened on Friday on the back 9.

#9 Ma'dam

Ma'dam

Summer is near- happy days!

• Administrators
  • 7160 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

What do you think the average punter would have shot playing there yesterday?

#10 Travis8081

Travis8081

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

very high, putting would have been a nightmare just in itself

#11 StephenG42

StephenG42

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

What do you think the average punter would have shot playing there yesterday?

Resident forum moderator
Any issues contact content @ iseekgolf.com

Come and play at The National. Very windy is the norm.

#12 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3730 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

I don't think the average punter would've done very well at all. Even in a comp on a normal suburban track, the rule of thumb is that when the wind is up the single markers will hit their straps.

#13 Happy_Dude

Happy_Dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

Senden's ball flight was not as big an issue as the completely absent short game and ability to scramble. Needs to focus on that to win.

#14 NWABP

NWABP

Number 9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6899 posts
  • LocationCant-bra

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

I think that first hole double got into JS's head. Just didn't seem to have the carriage around the course of the previous day. The whole wind-delay thing seemed to get to him. Pity, I was looking forward to seeing and hearing his ball striking. Mr Senior played so well...very intelligent and strategic management, particularly the back 9. Great short game, just great.

#15 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4534 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

What sort of starts do you get for winning the open?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users