Teetime Specials

• Devilbend Golf Club - Thu & Fri $35 incl cart!!
    For only $35pp 18holes incl cart. Book quick for this great deal!!
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $49 (Save 44%) (WAS $89.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart
  • Trafalgar Golf Club - $25 (Save 0%) (WAS $25.0)
    18 Holes Walking $40 for cart hire at the club
  • Phillip Island Golf Club - $38 (Save 0%) (WAS $38.0)
    18 Holes Walking
  • Drouin Golf
    18 Holes Walking
  • Pacific Harbour Golf Club - $39 (Save 60%) (WAS $99.0)
    18 Holes incl. Cart Carts Must be Back By 5:30 no guarantee of 18 holes ON COURSE AND DRIVING RANGE Dress Regulations Suitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Tailored pants Tailored shorts (Plain Coloured Cargo Shorts will be accepted. camouflage or multi coloured cargo shorts will not be accepted) Skirts/ Skorts Collared Shirt/ Mock style Golf Shirt Anklet sport or full length socks Clean Golf shoe or flat soled sport shoe (no metal spikes) Exception: Children under the age of 12 when accompanied by a suitably attired adult may wear T-Shirt or mock style top Unsuitable Attire: Ladies and Gents Denim pants or denim shorts of any type Tracksuit pants Board shorts or elastic waist/ draw string shorts T-Shirts (of any sort) and Singlet’s Thongs, sandals or shoes without socks Football jerseys/jumpers Metal spiked and/or open toed golf shoes
Photo

The Day I Broke 90

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:02 AM

Like it was yesterday......basically because it was :) I thought I'd put this up as it wasn't planned or outstanding efforts that got me there, like I thought it would be. A Tuesday comp, my current weekly(if I'm lucky) golf outing. I have a five hour shift beforehand. I'm a baker so up at 2am. Start work at 3am. Finish 8am then off for a 9am tee off.26 hcp Yesterday I worked back a bit and got to the club. Checked in and paid fees and was off. No chance for a practice putt or chip n pitch.(my normal warmup) So cold I go to the first tee. A par 3. I hit a poor 5 ir that's lucky to go 80m. Good start but I know I can salvage a score. Pitch on and two putt bogey 4/2 2nd par 4. Was going to play safe and use 3 wd but thought I need to see how drivers behaving and pulled it left of fairway. Had a shot to the green that fell short into a bunker. Out of bunker to green and two putt.5/3 3rd hole. Par 3 I over hit onto cart path. Relief would've given me a more difficult lie so played a pitch n run shot to green. Two putt 4/2 4th hole is index 2 and the one I consider most difficult. I play it safe by using irons up the par 4. Get on the green for 4 after a poor approach and get 6/2. Decided here its time to switch off and go to what works. Play three and forget. So my first round(of 3) I score 7. Lets go to next 3 and forget. Result - 8 points :). I don't get excited or think. 'This could be my day' Refocus AB it's the next round you're on zero. Result - 5 total 20 points for first 9. I actually didn't want to know this. I didn't want to go to far forward. Tried to switch off the acknowledgement of the good start but it lingered until I hit my 10 th hole tee off into tight entwined trees! Doh! Reality check. Found the ball but unplayable. Took my medicine and dropped. Got on for 4 and one putt for 5/2. Refocused and said 'AB it's time to get back to 3 hole rounds not dwelling on what if and I should've hit that better' 11th par 3. Over hit the green but a easy chip to the hole........ If it wasn't for the mud puddle left by the sprinkler between me and the hole. Pitch it Phil style, only option and pared the hole. :) 3/4. Got all excited but calmed myself using techniques learned on isg 'golf school' Finish the 3 hole stretch on 9 points. Refresh n refocus next 3 a 8 point round. I wasn't certain but was confident I was beating my previous round score. Last round of three. 3/3 thanks to a bueatifully hit 8 ir to 3 foot from hole. Unfortunately liptout for a par but still happy. Got over eager on my drive down 17 th par 5. Recovered and hit green for three. Could've safely accomplished the same feat with less stress had I played safe but scored a 5/3. 6 points heading to the 18th. Wasn't sure of my back 9 tally as I had forgotten and restarted. Thought I must be near 20 what do I need. The 18th I've hit OB and still carded a point. Decided to play safe with 3 wd. Right to under trees. Punch shot back onto fairway. Hit back of green.2 putt 5/3 Total 46 points and 87. Things I noticed. Only went for centre of green Played safest option every time Jus t put it in play (thanks Kiwi) Played personal par on some holes ( thanks AB long driver) Remained calm (thanks isg) Rule of twelve and driver setup (thanks Node) Water and nutrition (thanks Zen and RTL) Knowing how to play the lies thanks to GPS(Golfsavvy) Swing it like a 7 ir(thanks Justlearning) Knowing rules (thanks Pom) Knowing my ball (thanks Boz) All in all knowledge from isg and using that knowledge wisely helped this score not outstanding play. Smart play. Next week 80??

#2 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

In summary knowing my capabilities through practice and play and sticking to what I could achieve made this score. Every facet I've learnt. And 87 is not the limit. Seeing I've been hitting between 97 and 103 this wasn't expected or thought to be achievable.

#3 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18988 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:06 AM

well gone mate now just use that exp every time you play, and your next pb will be an 85

#4 Ormerod

Ormerod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

I try to play every hole as a par 5, only have to make a few pars on some easy 4s and play the par 3s near par and you'll break 90 most times

#5 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:25 AM

I have been taking the each hole as a par 5 approach and wasn't having success. I find with this 3 hole method I'm plaing a small round and am focusing on every shot individually rather than looking at 'how can I make.....whatever score' The ignoring the shot until on it and then assessing the best option. Regardless of what it is. Eg 200m out and putt 15 m to get it out onto fairway.

#6 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4638 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:30 AM

Well done AB. Such an awesome feeling of achievement when a PB is achieved. Don't expect it every time you play but you now know that you can achieve it. Expectation brings pressure and leads o disappointment. Relax and enjoy.

#7 Node

Node

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2312 posts
  • LocationMaryborough Queensland

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:51 AM

Congratz AB awesome read mate.... You know I can't remember breaking 90 but I'll never forget when I broke 100..... Nor will I forget breaking 80, that took an unexpected birdie on our index 1 hole the par 4 18th. You said it wasn't expected and I think that is when we all play our best when we are not actually trying to hard to get to a score. Anyway well done and keep the head down!

#8 Mekat

Mekat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3219 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

Well done AB, the next mark will be achieved as it will. In my experience, achieving a milestone rarely occurs when you consciously plan to, and also when you are counting your points/strokes during the round. A good round is often ruined when you know that you are in a good position, and your mind wanders to what score you may finish with, rather than on the hole you are playing. It comes down to individual strokes... Well executed shots will lead to well played holes. Well played holes will lead to low score rounds. Low score rounds will lead to lower handicaps.

#9 Goldy

Goldy

Bluto Snr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21916 posts
  • LocationAnimal House

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

Well done mate. Geez it feels good.

#10 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

It comes down to individual strokes…

I think that's the best analagy of the round. I played each shot individually and then marked a score. I recall debating a chip or pitch option and remembered something GPJ had said (sorry mate, left you out of the thanks run down) He said, 'what would you do if the shot was worth everything and you had to make it?' I then pulled my putter out. No need for fancy. Just for more certainty. 90% of my shots were not the prettiest but smartest option on that individual shot.

#11 Node

Node

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2312 posts
  • LocationMaryborough Queensland

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

Not sure if you have Fox sports but on the Golf Show this week Brett Ogle took a putter out from maybe 30m from the green and putted to within 2m he then chipped and bounced and stopped before the green So good choice to putt mate!

#12 BGH

BGH

Ruggedly handsome member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • LocationYou stay classy Melbourne

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

I hope 46 points was enough to win the comp?

#13 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

No Soup For You, Next!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12252 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

If it wasn't enough BGH ...... he was robbed. Nicely done Jimbo. Solid, safe, comfortable golf ....... and nothing too flash. No miracle "chip ins" or "monster par saving putts" needed to get you across the line to your PB ....... You just played steadily for the entire 18 holes .. maintained your focus, and played within your own capabilities .......... a great effort buddy!!! Use that round as another stepping stone now I reckon. Relax and try to follow the same mental approach and routines to your next round ...... but first ........ analyse your bad ones from that PB round, and find just one area to work on, (and not ten areas) and put a little time into that one area ........ and then you're good to go again.

#14 AllegingBow

AllegingBow

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6261 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

Cheers Gaz It is definitely a big stepping stone. It feels like a switch to 'oh this is how to play it' has been turned on. The one thing my round suffered from was long putts(over 15 foot). The practice green at the course isn't long enough to sort this out but I think my next practice round I'll spend time on our offer greens working it out. I hate it when my first putt isn't inside 3 foot and it irritates me more when it's outside 6, which a couple were. Nothing was perfect but the most distinct fault was this.

#15 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2079 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Well done AB - great achievement as a payoff for all of the hard work that you have been doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users