69 replies to this topic

#1 Harrisonford

Harrisonford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Hi All, I have recently moved to NSW and only played a handful of courses since being here so I wanted some advice on the hidden gems that are out there???? Happy Golfing

#2 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12710 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

Which area HF ? It's a pretty big state.

#3 tom1puttrichardson

tom1puttrichardson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

Good Question Waffle_iron, I live in Crows Nest. I have played The Coast, St Micks and The Lakes so far and all have been very enjoyable although did struggle at St Micks due to the weather.

#4 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12710 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Good Question Waffle_iron, I live in Crows Nest.

I have played The Coast, St Micks and The Lakes so far and all have been very enjoyable although did struggle at St Micks due to the weather.

Having spent 18 months in Crows Nest (and hated it) and now back on the GC, the best I played there was Long Reef, Lane Cove is great for a sneaky cheap nine holes and there is a Golf Simulator shop called Inner City Golf where you can play Pebble Beach etc. Also join Barnesys NSSCSS or whatever its called and you get to play the Springs BAAHAAAAHAAAA

#5 tom1puttrichardson

tom1puttrichardson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

GC I have been through their on my way up to Port Douglas very enjoyable part of the world. Yes someone else has mentioned Long Reef so I should look into that a little further. I have just looked at the Springs GC wow that looks amazing!!!!

#6 Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

Try and get a bash at Cromer some time, have new greens and the best I have ever putted on

#7 jetset

jetset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

Top 5 currently in Sydney (not NSW) 1.NSW 2.The Lakes 3.The Australian (currently being renovated) 4.Royal Sydney 5.Comes down to subjectivity, I would say its out of Concord/Bonnie Doon/Monash/Elanora/Avondale

#8 ChipGMac

ChipGMac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

NSW is the best by some margin. Not sure of the Australian but what I have heard is that it is quality and long. Being redeveloped atm. Not sure of Royal Sydney but a lot of people say its bland but well conditioned. I can't stand the Lakes for a number of reasons. Terrey Hills is quality, some good quality holes there, love 17. Not played Elanora but it is meant to be pretty good, really well conditioned. Avondale is pretty good but it is not top shelf. Played there recently and was better than I remember it but not as highly rated as is spouted on this forum. Monash is good but will be redeveloped soon. Love their greens. Concord is meant to be great but again have not played it. Love Bonville and in particular, Newcastle. Agree with Jetset, it is subjective. All in all Melb has a greater number of top, top tracks. Then there is the Mornington....

#9 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

Top 5 currently in Sydney (not NSW)
1.NSW
2.The Lakes
3.The Australian (currently being renovated)
4.Royal Sydney
5.Comes down to subjectivity, I would say its out of Concord/Bonnie Doon/Monash/Elanora/Avondale

Champions League you’re having a laugh…..

Agree with you for the most part jetset but you can't include The Doon (especially not in its current guise). I know its close to your heart but we'll have to wait for it to be 100% completed (if it gets the go ahead) until you can compare it. Apart from that I'd take your list. I'd even consdier swaping RS with The Oz at No 3 (based on The Oz's layout prior to the current changes). Concord has always been touted as No 5 and I would take that with Elanora close behind and Avondale behind that. Then you have all the other "clay belts" to choose from. I'd also have St Micks in my Top 10 in Sydney-Very underrated when its presented at its best playing off the plates.

#10 BarnEsy05

BarnEsy05

Made in Vachina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18681 posts
  • LocationYour Computer Screen

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

Good Question Waffle_iron, I live in Crows Nest.

I have played The Coast, St Micks and The Lakes so far and all have been very enjoyable although did struggle at St Micks due to the weather.

Having spent 18 months in Crows Nest (and hated it) and now back on the GC, the best I played there was Long Reef, Lane Cove is great for a sneaky cheap nine holes and there is a Golf Simulator shop called Inner City Golf where you can play Pebble Beach etc.

Also join Barnesys NSSCSS or whatever its called and you get to play the Springs BAAHAAAAHAAAA

The greatest game ever played.
First Life Member of the Secret Squirrel Society.
SEQ Captain.

Hmmmm, we know the real reason you don't like The Springs, it's a course for people that play golf. :P Long Reef the best you played? Didn't get out much while here then. If you want to play a course where you can open your shoulders in a slug fest and spray the ball 3 fairways and still be in play then yes Long Reef is the course. Personally I don't see the attraction. Plenty of suburban courses to get on HF, the top echelon are usually out of reach to the general public unless you know someone. If you get to the southern highlands the Mt Broughton is a must, agree that Bonville at Coffs Harbour is a ripper.

#11 Night_Putter

Night_Putter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

Aside from the Top 5 mentioned previously there are obviously quite a few tracks worth a visit in Syd Metro. In no particular order: West: Macquarie Links Stonecutters Ridge Twin Creeks Cabramatta Castle Hill Concord Central/South: Kogarah Moore Park Bonnie Doon The Coast St Michael's North: Avondale Pymble Elanora Longreef Monash Regional: Bonville Magenta Shores Mollymook Hilltop Mt Broughton The Vintage I am sure others will have more to add or different opinions.

#12 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12710 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

Long Reef the best you played? Didn’t get out much while here then. If you want to play a course where you can open your shoulders in a slug fest and spray the ball 3 fairways and still be in play then yes Long Reef is the course. Personally I don’t see the attraction.
I may be biased because I love to see the ocean when playing golf.

#13 Rhombus

Rhombus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

There's no point mentioning NSW, RSGC or the Oz as it will take several years to get into any of them! The Lakes will take anyone that can write them the entry fee cheque hence the membership is somewhat all over the place. Long Reef is a good call.

#14 Golfgeek3005

Golfgeek3005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

1.NSW
2.The Lakes
4.Royal Sydney
5.Comes down to subjectivity, I would say its out of Concord/Bonnie Doon/Monash/Elanora/Avondale

the guy asked for the best golf course, not the best views.. hence, NSW falls to about 5 on that list... there's just too many uninspirational inland holes which are, well... boring... but everyone gets distracted by the scenery I'd slip Terry Hills into that list to be conisdered with Concord/Avondale etc...

#15 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

1.NSW
2.The Lakes
4.Royal Sydney

the guy asked for the best golf course, not the best views.. hence, NSW falls to about 5 on that list… there’s just too many uninspirational inland holes which are, well… boring… but everyone gets distracted by the scenery

I’d slip Terry Hills into that list to be conisdered with Concord/Avondale etc…

You are kidding re NSWGC.....seriously

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users