#1 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationGolfers Heaven, Mornington Peninsula

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

Recently bought myself a chipper as my short game is atrocious. Typical longish par 5, third stroke puts me 5 mtrs from flag off the green, and then took four to put it in the hole. Chipping using wedges, etc. from one side of green to other and back again. Hence purchase. Friend who is deadly with her chipper told me I should have most weight on left foot, with ball a quarter of way back between feet, use a light putting grip and follow through. Ball seems to do exactly what it should do which is great, but feel as if I am "scooping" it somehow. Is this to be expected or am I doing it wrong? Should the hands be slightly in front of the ball at impact, which is the way I putt?

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12839 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Don't try and scoop it, use a putting stroke. But you're off the green with a fair way to go and the ball will chip up with some backspin so you'll need to hit it firmer than the equivalent putt. You're looking for a crisp hit more than a smooth scoop. Now for some responses from real pros....

#3 Vinski78

Vinski78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

Hay Alison, Due to the loft of the chipper you will tend to get a feeling of scooping the ball. But by having your hands leading the club you will deloft the club. You want to try and keep your hands inline with the club face to use the intended loft to lift the ball up out of the grass and get it rolling...

#4 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Thanks Old Bogey. Done a fair amount of analysis of my game recently and reckon if I could get up and down in two from most of my approach shots I could shave ten to twelve strokes off my score every game. And I mean every game. Hit a good drive followed by a equally acceptable fairway shot, then stuff it up around the green.

#5 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20142 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

alison a chipper will only mask the problem i would suggest a short game lesson round a green or a 9 hole playing lesson, the playing lesson will teach you to take the trouble out when playing to greens & help you with pitching & chipping. I played recently with a lady member who kept chasing pins and was getting into all sorts of strife (bunkers and stuff) i mentioned to her that the pins are in positions to make it hard. Go for the middle of the green and 2 putt. Made a huge difference to her scores. I told her As she gets better with short game then and only then start going for flags. i did start our convo after about 12 holes and asked her 1st if she would take some advice with her approaches so i didnt bombard her :) kiwi

#6 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Kiwi, but rarely choose to "go for the flag". Eyesight not to brilliant at 69, so where the flag may or may not be is an unknown if I am down the fairway. If I can get close to the green in regulation then I'm happy. Which I seem to be able to do with reasonable regularity. Much admired for my lob/pitch shots over hazards and the like, but seem to drop the most shots when attempting chip and run to the hole from off the edge by three or four metres. The number of times I have either stubbed the ground behind the ball, sending it one of two metres, or skinned it across the green are uncountable. Played a couple of time using the new chipper and feel that it has real potential. The extra weight at the bottom and square alignment is helping a lot, but need to get the technique right before it gets set in concrete.

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12839 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

I understand what you're going through Alison, I've done those myselft many times. The experts say to hit down on the ball but a minor error in height results in those problems. A 'large' putting stroke is far more effective. A bit too low and the grass will slow the ball, but not dramatically. A bit too high and you'll get a lower flight and more distance than you wanted, but still no disaster. Whether you use a chipper or 7 iron, the same applies. I've had some great results using a 5 hybrid, choked well down and used like a putter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users