• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Seekingadvice

Seekingadvice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

Can someone recommend a good fitter in Melbourne that does the fitting out on the practice fairway off grass. I am not interested in hitting off a mat into a net. Any suggestions and feedback most welcome

#2 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2191 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

I got fitting at Yarra Bend which is on the range, though not off grass. I was very happy with the process.

#3 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:23 AM

Where abouts? MGA Albert Park. Bryan Ferguson. He is also at Sunshine. I agree with the range requirement. But what does grass have to do with it. A great coach / fitter doesn't need to see a divot. But ideally, you should get fitted by the guy that will teach you.

#4 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11808 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

Can someone recommend a good fitter in Melbourne that does the fitting out on the practice fairway off grass. I am not interested in hitting off a mat into a net.

Any suggestions and feedback most welcome

Why on Earth would you want to be fitted outdoors where the only feedback is ball flight? None of the club face angles, head speed, ball speed, spin rates, carry, roll, etc. Before technological advances enabled precision in the fitting process, it was all based on the ability of the fitter to imagine which variables would assist the player to achieve a better result. Technology gives the fitter exact measurements with which to work.

#5 Pirelli

Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

Can someone recommend a good fitter in Melbourne that does the fitting out on the practice fairway off grass. I am not interested in hitting off a mat into a net.

Why on Earth would you want to be fitted outdoors where the only feedback is ball flight? None of the club face angles, head speed, ball speed, spin rates, carry, roll, etc.

Before technological advances enabled precision in the fitting process, it was all based on the ability of the fitter to imagine which variables would assist the player to achieve a better result. Technology gives the fitter exact measurements with which to work.

A good fitting will have an outdoor launch monitor so you can see the flight and get all the details. Is there anyone in Melbourne who can build a set of clubs using MOI matching instead of swingweight?

#6 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Seek, Go see Bryan Ferguson at Albert Park, they fit outdoors and use trackman. He's been fitting for 30 years and trained up most the PGA meembers how to fit golf clubs

#7 Seekingadvice

Seekingadvice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

Do you know if Bryan has all the major brands or is he just Henry Griffiths?

#8 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

He will do anything.

#9 Indabushes

Indabushes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

I went and saw Bryan Ferguson a few months ago as I wanted an opinion on my shafts, he suggested regular flex. I have since gone with stiff after consulting another fitter and the benefit was dramatic. best to seek the advise of a few guys and see what comes up, just my opinion anyway ! P.S TGP are the guys to see !

#10 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

I went and saw Bryan Ferguson a few months ago as I wanted an opinion on my shafts, he suggested regular flex. I have since gone with stiff after consulting another fitter and the benefit was dramatic. best to seek the advise of a few guys and see what comes up, just my opinion anyway !

P.S TGP are the guys to see !

Just a hack who enjoys golf !!!!

Dramatic, how many shots did your handicap reduce? What was your percentage increase for Greens in reg and your driving stats. When you did your comparison for stiff and regular, what was your ball disppersion comparison. What was the comparison on consistancey of strike of centred hits. What was the results for consistant distance. I'm 100% percent sure Bryan would have went through this process testing various combinations and this would be the reason why he suggested regular for you. I'd be really interested to see the results for the comparisons above first before discrediting one of the best club fitters in the world.

#11 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11808 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

I am a little surprised that two very reputable club fitters would come up with different answers. But considering that there are no standards when it comes to shaft flex gradings, it is quite possible that the R shaft suggested by Bryan was on the stiffer side of the average, and the S recommended by TGP was softer than most. There is also the question of kick-point and other characteristics. Zen, I realise that you are trying to make a point, but no-one is going to have those statistics from just a fitting. Six months of use perhaps, but not just a fitting. It would take days of assessment to get a start on them and the cost would be excessive for a weekend hacker. May be far more relevant for a professional golfer. "Dramatic" was probably the improvement over what bush-man had before his shaft was changed.

#12 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:15 AM

I'm not surprised two reputable fitters would come up with different answers at all. It depends what the brief was. Most fitters fit for now. And I know Bryan generally doesn't do that. He'll see a swing fault and ask "what do you want to do? I can fit you to the fault or I can fit you to get better" I remember taking my irons in and getting the lie angles tested. They were fine. Swing was rooted. Start to change the swing and within 15 minutes the lie angles were miles out. Each to their own. I'm not into discrediting people who are professionals at their chosen craft.

#13 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:17 AM

I am a little surprised that two very reputable club fitters would come up with different answers.

But considering that there are no standards when it comes to shaft flex gradings, it is quite possible that the R shaft suggested by Bryan was on the stiffer side of the average, and the S recommended by TGP was softer than most. There is also the question of kick-point and other characteristics.

Zen, I realise that you are trying to make a point, but no-one is going to have those statistics from just a fitting. Six months of use perhaps, but not just a fitting. It would take days of assessment to get a start on them and the cost would be excessive for a weekend hacker. May be far more relevant for a professional golfer.

“Dramatic” was probably the improvement over what bush-man had before his shaft was changed.

Very True regarding shaft flexes are different tolerances for different companies for flex, kick points etc. Old bogey , the team I deal will do the above. That's why for two reasons you fit out doors and use a ball flight monitor or trackman. To see the consistency of ball dispersion, see the consistency of strike. The ball flight monitor gives the averages for your distances and ball dispersion patterns. Face tape gives centre hits to compare consistency of strike as well. Gir's and driving stats every golfer should keep their stats on their game if they want to improve their golf. If you are getting lessons you should always keep stats so your coach can help your development. You don't do the above when your fitted what a waste of time and money. We get fitted for all the above reasons to improve our golf.

#14 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1532 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

I went and saw Bryan Ferguson a few months ago as I wanted an opinion on my shafts, he suggested regular flex. I have since gone with stiff after consulting another fitter and the benefit was dramatic. best to seek the advise of a few guys and see what comes up, just my opinion anyway !

P.S TGP are the guys to see !

Just a hack who enjoys golf !!!!

Thanx for the rap, Inda. Fitting versus selling, a good fitting should take into consideration a dozen or more different areas with regards to the players equipment and then look very hard at the players swing mechanics. The starting point of any fitting should be about the player and their swing in isolation. Can the player make a repetitive motion and how will that relate to their gear. Has their existing equipment made them swing a particular way ? Given that alot of golfers can't make the same patterns happen from one day to the next, it is always good to find the things that work for them and use those areas to move forward. The net senario is a starting point, add to this the launch monitor facts and figures and we start to get the bigger picture. Then the practise range and playing on the course become the final proving ground for any modifications to a players clubs. Having a great "Coach" will make the transition with either new or old equipment much easier. So trying to marry all of the required elements together is a skill that is best left to the experts within their fields and some shouldn't ever cross over the boundaries. Coaches Fitters/Club builders Sports Psychologist Gym instructors Salespeople Jon... Perception isn't reality !

#15 CanBreak80

CanBreak80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4636 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Inda I recently got fitted out for a new driver by TGP The whole process was a combination of net and range,and coach using a TM R9 adjustable setting head TGP gave me two shafts a R & S and two driver lofts 9.5 adjustable to Plus minus one deg and a 10.5 adjustable to Plus minus 1 deg. so in other words loft between 8.5 9.5 10.5 and 11.5 coupled with R & S combo. first step was range where I hit all these combo's and recorded result on range. after hitting it was obvious even to me that some combo's while launched ball high were not right for me. second step back inside into net on launch monitor at TGP again hit all combo;s that had hit on range and got spin numbers. This data showed me that the ball flights I achieved were correct. ended up deciding on a 9.5 deg reg flex this game me most distance and lowest spin. second choice was 10.5 with a S flex. under watchful eye of fitter also had available several shaft types as well. 3rd step took this driver combo to my coach and under his watchful eye we to ensure the height on driver was from club not some swing fault narrowed process down to the 9.5 R flex. with a possibility of using S flex for summer. which will now trial (PS hit 8 /10 in middle) 4th step out playing on course in the wind or on tight fwys under comp pressure using my regular gaming ball (vision X3). Spin numbers and track man and all that mean zip all if cannot hit right flight shape under playing conditions. I have gained 15 m with my driver and have a much better lower and more powerful and penetrating ball fight now especially into wind. process very thorough whole way not pressure to buy any " on special this month" type deals or one OEM driver head better than another. Some large retail outlets claim to offer club fitting, It is fitting sort of to a point where they actually select the OEM driver head / limited shaft range. so fitting you to a club they have on special to you NOT selecting club combo for your game. difference for me was had I decided to change a combo like shaft with my fitter during process I could had I decided to change with driver from golf store it meant get a new driver .. 5th Step after sales service TGP and coach are there for advise, but dont need to change driver just yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users