#1 Tupac

Tupac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

I have been diagnosed with sleep aponea after having undertaking a sleep study. For a long time I have been suffering with severe tiredness since my early twenties and now since using a CPAP machine (4 days now) I feel fresh and manage to see out the day without any signs of fatigue. My question to members is has anyone approached the surgical solution to remedy the problem as i find sleep with the nasal mask and piping a little cumbersome?

#2 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Stick it out with the CPAP, my husband had a similar diagnosis several months ago and reckons it takes at least a month or so of use to habituate to the mask.

#3 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

I have been diagnosed with sleep aponea ... My question to members is has anyone approached the surgical solution to remedy the problem as i find sleep with the nasal mask and piping a little cumbersome?

Only God can judge me!

A mate of mine has one. For him, sleeping in any way other than facing the machine or face up, is a thing of the past.

#4 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10493 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:42 AM

Have not heard of anyone that has used the surgical option. The mask does take a little getting used to & the little plastic bits. Quite a few of them, Tend to break from time to time so it is a good idea to find out where the nearest supplier of spare parts is.

#5 jafflemaker

jafflemaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3439 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

Is your weight a problem? Usually is the major cause and you can either eat well and exercise, or get the gastric band.

#6 djcraig

djcraig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

I have been told I need to go see a sleep clinic to get tested for aponea as well. Where you based and which clinic did you go to? How much am I look at roughly?

#7 Kiwi

Kiwi

kiwi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18894 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

I have been told I need to go see a sleep clinic to get tested for aponea as well.
Where you based and which clinic did you go to? How much am I look at roughly?

stop sleeping in your car bro

#8 NAGA_MiCK™

NAGA_MiCK™

Favorite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5083 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

I have been told I need to go see a sleep clinic to get tested for aponea as well.
Where you based and which clinic did you go to? How much am I look at roughly?

stop sleeping in your car bro

OOM’s smallest heavyweight

stop hanging out with the fred flinstones, and get on the strawberrries again tripper

#9 Tupac

Tupac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

Im in Perth, so my GP referred me to CRS ( Cardio Respiratory Sleep) outift at Hollywood hospital in Nedlands. The overnight sleep study costs about $2k for which my private health covered the costs less the excess. You can do the sleep study at home where u will need to go to the 'hospital" and they will hook u up with all the wiring and give you the computer to go with it. This is a cost effective way of doing it (about $300) but for me in-hospital study was appropriate as didnt want to drive home on the freeway looking like Frankenstine with all the wires strapped to your face, head, chest, arms and legs AND then risk de-attaching the connections.

#10 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13824 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

You can do the sleep study at home where u will need to go to the ‘hospital” and they will hook u up with all the wiring and give you the computer to go with it. This is a cost effective way of doing it (about $300) but for me in-hospital study was appropriate as didnt want to drive home on the freeway looking like Frankenstine with all the wires strapped to your face, head, chest, arms and legs AND then risk de-attaching the connections.

Only God can judge me!

I've done that.........got "wired" up and drove home. A little uncomfortable and awkward. I would have preferred to do it at the hospital.

#11 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:25 AM

You can do the sleep study at home where u will need to go to the ‘hospital” and they will hook u up with all the wiring and give you the computer to go with it. This is a cost effective way of doing it (about $300) but for me in-hospital study was appropriate as didnt want to drive home on the freeway looking like Frankenstine with all the wires strapped to your face, head, chest, arms and legs AND then risk de-attaching the connections.

Only God can judge me!

I’ve done that…......got “wired” up and drove home. A little uncomfortable and awkward. I would have preferred to do it at the hospital.

9/10/12 – Hole In One – 7th Hole Portsea GC
2012 (Official) Winner of Inaugural ISG Nat. Champs.
2011 Inaugural winner Vict. Order of Merit Putting Champion – Long Island

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

DIY kit available??

#12 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1767 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

High blood pressure can also be a factor causing sleep apnea. Since I have been on drugs to lower my BP, I haven't had to use my CPAP.

#13 Spartan52

Spartan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1745 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

I had an at home sleep study done, its reasonably easy to get the sensors hooked up in the right spots, but its a pain in the arse thru the night.... from memory cost about $250....then they tried to sell me a $3k machine.... I'm still snoring. It said I had sleep apnea but I display none of the symptoms, no fatigue, not falling asleep as soon as I sit down etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users