13 replies to this topic

#1 chinaalan

chinaalan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

I have started closing( or turning ) my shoulders during the putting swing and the ball subsequently veers left of the hole. This is really adversely affecting my game. I have tried to control this but under pressure on the course it just returns!! Anyone have any drills that I could practice. Any help would be really appreciated. Thx. Alan

#2 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

Hey Alan, before you make any swing changes do me a favor and check your alignment by simply having a friend stand behind you and give some feedback. The clubface is the primary reason we miss and we are usually the last to know we are lined up right or left. Because of this, most of us will start changing our stroke often making a poor stroke that gets better results.

#3 chinaalan

chinaalan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:08 AM

Thanks Grant. I will do that and get back to you.

#4 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11835 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

A tip, Alan. Don't watch the ball travel toward the hole, watch the putter send it on its way, leaving your focus on the ground where the ball was. Only look after the ball is at least a metre away.

#5 chinaalan

chinaalan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

A tip, Alan. Don’t watch the ball travel toward the hole, watch the putter send it on its way, leaving your focus on the ground where the ball was. Only look after the ball is at least a metre away.

Munchos Gratias..OB

#6 chinaalan

chinaalan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:34 AM

Hey Alan, before you make any swing changes do me a favor and check your alignment by simply having a friend stand behind you and give some feedback.

The clubface is the primary reason we miss and we are usually the last to know we are lined up right or left. Because of this, most of us will start changing our stroke often making a poor stroke that gets better results.

HP... you are a bloody genius!! Had a day out yesterday and got one of the caddies to check my alignment. Body setup was fine but club face was pointed slightly to the left, would have sworn it was square. I have been using a Scotty Cameron Monteray putter for the past few months and decided to change back to my old Ping G5 crazy mallet. Problem gone! Much easier to line up with the mallet. Thanks again...I owe you a drink.

#7 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:47 AM

sorry chinaalan,i unknowingly butted in(hijack) erased my apologies

#8 chinaalan

chinaalan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

Hey Brownman...no need for apologies, go ahead :)

#9 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:09 AM

hope it comes out mate http://forums.iseekg...18/topics/10166

#10 BROWNMAN

BROWNMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

deeper....but relevant http://www.puttingzone.com/index.html

#11 HeadPro

HeadPro

Head Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1761 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hey Alan, before you make any swing changes do me a favor and check your alignment by simply having a friend stand behind you and give some feedback.

The clubface is the primary reason we miss and we are usually the last to know we are lined up right or left. Because of this, most of us will start changing our stroke often making a poor stroke that gets better results.

HP… you are a bloody genius!! Had a day out yesterday and got one of the caddies to check my alignment. Body setup was fine but club face was pointed slightly to the left, would have sworn it was square.
I have been using a Scotty Cameron Monteray putter for the past few months and decided to change back to my old Ping G5 crazy mallet. Problem gone! Much easier to line up with the mallet.

Thanks again…I owe you a drink.

Hey Chin, well done mate. Its realy strange but nearly always the case. Our mind tells us we made a bad stroke and we are quick to make a change in our stroke. Alignment should always be the first thing we check. Changing you putter to a mallet was a great idea.

#12 DelMar

DelMar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

My shoulders would wobble in my stroke too until i read Pelz's book and he gave a few drills in there that fixed it..... Buy a putting mirror and you can see your alignment and shoulder movement at all times: GOLD Get a long straight rod (I bought a stainless bath towel rod from Bunnings for 8 bucks) and with 2 big red rubber bands, loop them under your armpits and around your shoulders so that the rod is attached to the front of your shoulders parallel to the target line. Then take your set up in a doorway so that the rod is touching either side of the frame and running along each wall on either side of it (has to be a door in a hallway with ample wall space on each side. Then just move tilt forward ever so slightly (and ultimately into your perfect set up position) so that the rod comes off the wall only 3 to 5 mm. Then putt, first without a ball, then with, and try to complete the stroke without either end of the rod hitting the wall or door frame. It is hard and feels awkward at first but it doesn't take long, maybe 10 sessions of 10 minutes, before it feel normal and you can putt while keeping your shoulders on line and not moving in and out.

#13 golfsavvy

golfsavvy

Golfsavvy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

HP… you are a bloody genius!! Had a day out yesterday and got one of the caddies to check my alignment. Body setup was fine but club face was pointed slightly to the left, would have sworn it was square.
I have been using a Scotty Cameron Monteray putter for the past few months and decided to change back to my old Ping G5 crazy mallet. Problem gone! Much easier to line up with the mallet.

Hey Chin, well done mate.

Its realy strange but nearly always the case. Our mind tells us we made a bad stroke and we are quickly are ready to change our stroke.

Alignment should always be the first thing we check. Changing you putter to a mallet was a great idea.

This is a good example of how players line up differently with different putter designs. Elements that affect aim are offset, heel vs center shafted models, head size, line configuration, lie, and even the design of the rear end of the putter. As good as putter fitting can be, it's surprising how little of it has been embraced. Checking and re-checking aim is very important. You might even keep a t-square around to re-check whenever you think about it. Nice job, HP and chinaalan!

#14 chinaalan

chinaalan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

Hey Chin, well done mate.

Its realy strange but nearly always the case. Our mind tells us we made a bad stroke and we are quickly are ready to change our stroke.

Alignment should always be the first thing we check. Changing you putter to a mallet was a great idea.

This is a good example of how players line up differently with different putter designs. Elements that affect aim are offset, heel vs center shafted models, head size, line configuration, lie, and even the design of the rear end of the putter. As good as putter fitting can be, it’s surprising how little of it has been embraced.

Checking and re-checking aim is very important. You might even keep a t-square around to re-check whenever you think about it.

Nice job, HP and chinaalan!

Bob Duncan, PGA Life Member
Master Clubfitter DP.60

Click here for my new ebook on Amazon

Good idea GS. THanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users