368 replies to this topic

#1 chinaalan

chinaalan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:40 AM

I see that Michael Jordan was banned from playing at a club in the USA for wearing cargo shorts.http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/msn/michael_jordan_banned_from_golf_course_for_sporting_cargo_pants/12313642 Whilst I have no problem with someone being banned for wearing clothing which is against the club's rules, I really question the logic that is used or not used in making the rules in the first place. One cannot wear denim jeans but can wear denim bermuda shorts. Bermuda shorts are OK but put pockets on them and call them cargo pants and they are not. Then there are the clubs that require knee length socks or specific ankle socks. What is the point of these rules. I have no problem in people wearing whatever as long as it is decent. No wonder we find it difficult to attract young people to the game. Ensure people are clean and well dressed by all means but some times I think we need to keep up with the times also.

#2 mugcanic

mugcanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:53 AM

agree, providing people are neatly dressed and no tee shirts (crew neck) there should not be a problem. When you start telling young (potential members) people how to dress you will create all sorts of problems.

#3 Dulberf

Dulberf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

Socks are what annoy me the most. Nowadays, if you walk around in knee high socks you look like a tool, but that is allowed. If you wear short socks that don't fully cover the ankle you get called up...WTF?

#4 RobNewy

RobNewy

Fight the Fight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4687 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:28 AM

If you want to play at the club, obey the rules. Is it really that hard? Its not like you are on a date, its a bloody game of golf

#5 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

Hear hear. You dont like the rules then go play the local muni. Bring back long socks I say

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12210 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:45 AM

When I first joined a club, it was pointed out to me one day that my black socks, which matched my black golf shoes, did not conform and that the Member's Handbook stated socks had to be "long or white". In due course, I was on the committee and raised the matter at a meeting where it was quickly passed over as not worthy of discussion. So, when doing the next year's syllabus and handbook, I simply deleted the paragraph. No-one noticed.

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12210 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

I often wear cargo shorts, or shorts with patch pockets, at golf.

#8 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12210 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

Also, when you're a fat feller like me, it's just about impossible to get shorts that do not have an elasticised waist band, which are usually forbidden along with cargo shorts.

#9 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12210 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:55 AM

And "tuck your shirt in to your pants". WTF !

#10 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12210 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:59 AM

A friend of mine, whinging Pom, went back to the mother country last year and decided to have a round of golf while there. Like many who wear trousers, he was in the habit of tucking his trousers into his socks to prevent them from getting wet and muddy. He was told he had to pull them out of his socks or leave the course. What about plus fours?

#11 chinaalan

chinaalan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

If you want to play at the club, obey the rules.
Is it really that hard?

Its not like you are on a date, its a bloody game of golf

2011 C Grade Champion Vic ISG Round #4 OOM Keysborough Golf Club
2012 B Grade Champion Paterson River ISG OOM Round #3
2012 ISG Matchplay Champion

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

Rob, as I said I don't have a problem obeying the rules, you want to play there then abide by the rules or get them changed. .....it's the logic of the rules in the first place that I question. "It's a game of bloody golf".......precisely!!!....so why do we have these stupid @#$% attire rules?

#12 Ignoramus

Ignoramus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4460 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

Dodgy article about Jordan the OP referred to. Doesn't ring true in lots of respects. My opinion.

#13 Ah Ben

Ah Ben

GL 22.0 FML

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts
  • LocationI'm the lost Angel, knocking on Satans door

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

We played a game at Royal Queensland recently and were sent out a copy off their dress code. My mate didn't read it and I told him he had to change his socks as they were anklet and not white. He pissed and moaned and eventually borrowed a pair from his next door neighbour that met the code. Upon arrival at RQ, I noticed he didn't have his shirt tucked in, and having a quiet giggle to self thought, they will make him tuck that in for sure. He went to register at the desk when BAM!!! The GM said ' excuse me you need to tuck your shirt in'. I am laughing more audibly at this point and mate said ' what's so funny' so I said ' I knew you would have to do that ' he was so cut about the dress code and called them all the names under the sun, so we milked it for the rest of the day asking each other if we could do this or that were we in breach, blah blah blah. Dress code is dress code I guess

#14 Ah Ben

Ah Ben

GL 22.0 FML

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts
  • LocationI'm the lost Angel, knocking on Satans door

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:30 AM

And “tuck your shirt in to your pants”. WTF !

Nice 5 in a row OB

#15 TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3698 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

Dodgy article about Jordan the OP referred to. Doesn’t ring true in lots of respects. My opinion.

The man who hits at the ball rather than through it has no sense of rhythm.
Secrets of the Master – The Best of Bobby Jones

Maybe the cargo shorts were anchored to Jordan's body ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users