#1 Tupac

Tupac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

i played a golf ball off the tee that lands out of bounds ( red line marking). question is can you play it from where it lies for you second shot ? If you can play it from where it lies, is there a penalty stroke? If you can play it from where it lies, can you ground the club? Should you go back to the tee and tee-off your third? Do u go follow flight line of golf path and play your third where it crossed the out of bounds line? Would appreciate some feedback ?

#2 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

I am no rules guru but I believe you can play it from where it lies as long as you don't ground the club in the hazard. Pretty sure you can't move any obstruction in the hazard either. I could be wrong, glad to be corrected.

#3 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Oh yeah, I don't think red indicates OB, just a hazard?

#4 Tupac

Tupac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:21 AM

Thanks Danny...I am sure it is the out of bound marker and not hazard. Course has posts running along shore line next to river that have red lines linking the posts.

#5 koiom K. Frenzy

koiom K. Frenzy

AKA Details Available Next Business Day

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4143 posts
  • LocationBack in town

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

Are the posts red in colour Tupac? Red posts/lines indicate a lateral water hazard. OOB is signified by white posts/lines. http://golf.about.co...kesandlines.htm

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Spelling commando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13135 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

That's a good one, Tupac. OOB off the tee and you have no choice but to play your 3rd shot from the tee again. However, course management, in their wisdom, have decreed that the area concerned is a lateral water hazard (red stakes & line). This gives you further options (in addition to re-teeing). One of them is to play the ball as it lies (no grounding of the club & no penalty). Another is to drop within 2 clublengths of where your ball last crossed the margin of the hazard, penalty one stroke. Rule 26 has all the details, and the Quick Guide near the front of the rule book has diagrams, too. If you don't have a rule book, ask at your club and they'll give you one. As a LWH, you could also play from the other side of the river, except that over there is surely OOB, so you can't. The true bounday of the course is probably somewhere like the middle of the river. Being a LWH means that you can drop a ball next to where it went 'over' which may be 200m closer to the hole than back on the tee.

#7 RulesDoc

RulesDoc

Rules Rule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2223 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

@tupac, As already stated, red can not define out of bounds, and if your ball is playable in an area marked red, you may play the ball as it lies. Why are you sure it's OB?

#8 Tupac

Tupac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:17 AM

Based on the comments the hole runs laterial to a river, so i am wrong in saying its out of bound but rather in a laterial water hazard. Thanks guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users